• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wakeboard/surf boat

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Had the opportunity to visit with a Pavati dealer this morning.
I asked him this....
"If you sell a $200,000 Pavati and in 3 years the owner wants to trade into a new one, what do you think you can re-sell the first one for?"
He responded that he does not take trade ins!

So how would you like it if the selling dealer wouldn't even take the boat he sold you back on trade? How the F does that work?

Probably a good thing to clarify before any major purchase. It doesn't matter how good the price is, if they won't take it back on trade, why would you even consider buying there?

I guess I just assumed any reputable dealer would take trades.

That's interesting. What kind of a warranty do they have?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Can anyone answer the pickle fork vs V debate. I have gotten about a 1,000 different answers.

Zero difference in performance on apples to apples boats. Styling cue by MC that stuck. Except they are easier to dunk the nose or take rollers over the front when loaded than a v nose.
Little more bow seating area especially in the smaller boats like my X2.

To your original question, depends how much you want to spend and how conscious of depreciation you are.
With the ever more retarded tow boat prices every year, a good used first tier boat will lose very little value in the near future.
And I agree about not wanting or liking the all in one computerized touch screen stero/ballast/tabs/PP etc. much harder to fix. It's a boat. No matter who's, that stuff breaks after a while and its more finicky Imo.
I'd rock a new X23 or 30 or whatever if I was ready to drop $100k plus on a boat, but at the same time I'd rather have conventional gauges, controls etc. I prefer the simpler reliable older tech of stepper motors and relays.
Even my drive by wire is pissing me off. 200 + hrs on a garage queen 10 year old boat and it started acting up.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
we have an 07 Mastercraft X45 found a great deal and its been an excellent boat. when buying a surf boat bigger is better !

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Epic boats. Does anyone know anything about these? They are kind of crazy, speakers lined up across the back. I do not think there is any place to hook a tow rope except the tower.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Thought it worth reviving this thread as we start off another season.

Spaarky, we have taken a couple very clean v drives in the past week.
A Sanger V215 from the Detroit Lakes area and a Moomba Mondo from your own back yard, Lake Madison.
Let me know if you are still in the market and I can get details and pictures.

Plenty of nice clean direct drives and stern drives available for those in the market too!

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Got it at Dave's Marine in Webster and have nothing but good things to say. I have heard MN Inboard is a great dealer but we are on Lake Poinsett and after driving to the cities to look at Supra and Mastercrafts we realized that having a quality dealer 70 miles away was more important. I went with the T-23 because of the size (we have seated 13 comfortably, and because of the surf wave it makes when you add alot of weight. I have 1100 bags in the rear lockers and a 750 in the bow, and we usually shift people around so that it planes out, but the wave is massive. One of the other selling points for us on the axis was the 5 year warranty which was on the 2016's and not the 2015's. We also went with the Traditional bow vs the A-series because we are on the Northwest Corner of the lake and it gets pretty rough and the Traditional Bow's handle the waves better to get across the lake.

Saw your boat on Poinsett multiple times last summer... that yellow :face-icon-small-coo Jealous.

Ill throw in my 2 cents as I bought my first boat in the fall of 2015 and sold it this spring. I am on the east side of SD as well. Daves Marine and Brent are great, I didnt end up buying there but would highly recommend based on the treatment I recieved while shopping.

I ended up finding "the one" at MN Inboard. It was a 2008 Tige 24ve with 150ish hours. Perfect shape. The people at MN Inboard were amazing, they WANT to work with you and they get chit done,its not a "itll be 3 weeks" kind of place, but rather "when can you get it here" type of business. I wouldnt hesitate if they have something used that you want. There is a reason they are one of the largest dealers in the country.

I really dont think you can be right or wrong when talking used vs. new. Establish a max budget and determine what you intend to do with the boat and find one that meets those needs. Used boats in the 30-70k range are seeming to hold value pretty well right now, as well as new "budget" boats- Axis, Moomba, Supreme.

Couple things I learned

-buy turn key. My boat needed some ballast, stereo work, and lighting. Things added up extremely fast, and working in boat lockers sucks!

-if you plan to surf much be damn sure the boat your buying makes a good wave(there is tons of good info on the wake boat forums) I wouldnt worry so much about the wakeboard wake. Surfing is so addicting, low impact, and starting out with a big wave is a good thing, wakeboarding- not so much. The Ve's surf extremely well, especially for the $$$. Buddy was able to do backrolls off the wake too, so its decent for intermediate wakeboarders.

-I would really try to buy close to home. Hauling my boat 5 hours to have it serviced blew.

-Fit and finish/quality is definitely much better on higher end boats BUT the cheaper boats seems to be everybit as capable wake wise.

Good luck. Buying a boat is a ton of fun. Would still have mine but it was cutting into the sledding budget too much. Hopefully I can make one work again sometime in the next few years :juggle:

Premium Features