• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bought a Pro, what to lookout for and your thoughts

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello guys, have been on here awhile and I have a very heavily modded 04 Rev (that can be seen in my avatar and signature below) has a 154 Tmo moved back to the 163x15x2.25 3.0pitch track, AI 37 front end and a ton of improvement mods but I find myself Still fighting this chassis to get it to do what I would like it to do without so much struggle.

How much, better do you guys think this will be over the Rev?, sled Im getting is a 2014 Pro Rmk 163 mostly stock other than it has some Team clutching.

What are some things you guys think I should watch out for and what Improvement do you suggest or recommend be done to this sled to make the fun factor and maneuverability?,

What do ya guys think of the Narrower ski stance kits out there like the AI kit, I have had a few sets of Dans arms on my Rev stock then 37 and I really like them for the added handleing they added to the Rev.

Let me know what ya guys think, and any thoughts and suggestions

Thanks, Wildcard

Last edited:
R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
Get rid of stock a arms before they come apart and hurt you. Put on a PROtector tunnel brace kit, before u bend tunnel

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
i was new to them this winter as well. I bought mine used with a ton of goodies but comparing to my dads stock rmk, mine is noticeably more responsive with MDS clutching and vforce reeds being the only difference, and ggb can.

these straps might be one of the most under rated things on the pros as well.

d295f9be53df5d56d546fd087e6b0c30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
thanks guys keep em coming.

I have been concerned about the bonded A arm, are they coming apart prematurely or just under hard technical riding like huge jumps and drops?

This sled has had a different Team better set up primary on it and also comes with the stock primary also, not sure if anything has been done to the secondary.

I am a novice learning rider which is why I decided to go with a pro was excited about the lightweight hoping that would take the effort and fatigue out of getting it on its side so I can learn to hold sidehills and tree lines better with out feeling like I have to be twice my size to just throw the sled around like I have with the rev chassis.

I am a 160lb guy and probably 180 or maybe all geared up. what are some suspension and chassis adjustment you would recommend for a guy my size on a learning new chassis curve. lol

Like on a review I watched on Snowtrax TV youtube video. of one of the guys saying he wasn't a expert rider and didn`t have the current skill to deal with a sled short coming and felt he could ride the pro really well and made his learning experience quicker and less struggle.

Any suggestions and comment on the reliability of the engine and what horsepower does this year of Pro put out?
2014 Pro Rmk 800/ 163

Thanks, Wildcard

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
thanks guys keep em coming.

I have been concerned about the bonded A arm, are they coming apart prematurely or just under hard technical riding like huge jumps and drops?

This sled has had a different Team better set up primary on it and also comes with the stock primary also, not sure if anything has been done to the secondary.

I am a novice learning rider which is why I decided to go with a pro was excited about the lightweight hoping that would take the effort and fatigue out of getting it on its side so I can learn to hold sidehills and tree lines better with out feeling like I have to be twice my size to just throw the sled around like I have with the rev chassis.

I am a 160lb guy and probably 180 or maybe all geared up. what are some suspension and chassis adjustment you would recommend for a guy my size on a learning new chassis curve. lol

Like on a review I watched on Snowtrax TV youtube video. of one of the guys saying he wasn't a expert rider and didn`t have the current skill to deal with a sled short coming and felt he could ride the pro really well and made his learning experience quicker and less struggle.

Any suggestions and comment on the reliability of the engine and what horsepower does this year of Pro put out?
2014 Pro Rmk 800/ 163

Thanks, Wildcard

The pro is definitely an upgrade. Lighter, quicker and easier to maneuver. I riveted my arms before they worked loose and they've held up just fine. Durability wise the 14' is pretty good. I'd redo the top end every 1500-2000 miles. Like said before, brace the tunnel. Other than that just ride it!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
My two cents worth:

Check the oil pump setting, at the very least make sure it is set/adjusted to specs. My was a little lean from the start. Lots of threads on here about oil pump adjustments.

Switch out the 8.8 grade QD pulley bolts with 12.9 grade bolts. Any hardware store has them. I think the bolts are M10x1.25x4o or 45 (top) and M10x1.25x20 or 25 (bottom). Make sure they have the flanged head.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I wouldn't worry much about the a arms I have 2600 miles on a 2013 which were supposed to be the worst. I have hit many things that have put me over the bars and no problems yet. Even after you replace qd bolts I still put a wrench on them before a trip to make sure they still tight, haven't been loose yet.

T
I am new to the pro chassis this year as well. I bought an older 2011 pro used with 1600 miles on it. Previous owner said the sled started throwing codes at 1500 miles so he had a dealership look at it and the sled needed a top end rebuild. From what I have read on the forum it sounds pretty common to do a top end every 1500 miles. Some sleds make it further than 1500 miles but it is cheap insurance to do a top end rather than risking the whole motor going down. I would also check the oil ratio like someone has already said. I check my oil/fuel ratio after a couple rides and it was at 70:1. I put a different oil cap on that vents better and my ratio is down to 55:1 now. Paaso Racing makes a vented oil cap that works better than the stock cap. There is a bunch of information on the forum about this issue with other caps that will vent better. Here is a good video of the oil cap. It's on a 2010 Dragon but its the same principle. Other than that I have just been putting gas and oil in the sled. I have over 400 miles on the sled now and I am super impressed with the performance over my dragon 700. Easier to ride in every situation and holds a really steep side hill with out washing out like my dragon. The pros don't trench nearly as much either and do a great job of getting on top of the snow. With yours being a 2014 I am sure you will like it even more. Congrats on your new purchase!

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
On my 14 I put a heavier bumper on it and stayed with the factory a-arms. They have survived a couple hits and have worked perfectly. Can't say that the narrower ones would be better or not. I also did the doo thermostat upgrade (TRS thread). Spend some time adjusting the skid because the sled felt really planted at first (increase FTS pressure). I also removed the swaybar and put dual rate springs on, but i'm not sure that's totally necessary. Aftermarket bars and a 1" spacer. Tether. Turned up oiler. Gas, oil, belt, 10.9 bolts on my QD pulleys.

Sled has been almost perfect for 1400 miles. Only issue was the TPS connector under the hood in the black bag had a bad connection at about 1200 miles.

You should really love the pro coming off that rev.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello guys thanks for the replys.

Well things have changed I was in the process of purchasing the 14 I mentioned and put some cash down was buyin it from a work buddy, he had an issue with the rear wheels so took it to a popular local shop and come to find out the rear wheels were broke and the rails were bent, apon prior inspection the tunnel at the front skid mount and front of the tunnel was Badly Bent and his insurance Co Totaled the sled, the shop mentioned he had another sled for sale and I went to take a look at it and Man I liked this one better, So I bought it.

Sled is actually a 12 chassis that shop owner which I have known for awhile and a very popular sledder localy and has been in vids we have probably all seen. well sled had a bad 12 engine so a crate 14 engine was installed and all the clutchs and running electronics and components from a 14 was installed and all components were placed in the 14 or newer position like voltage regulator to the lh side and all to minic a 14, So all this has been done within 300miles, along with most the goodies and mods done to the sled, I got the sled for $5000 and is has a ppq can, and hot dogger, underhood goggle and glove bag, Burandt rear tunnel and handle bar bags, Burandt Running boards, Burandt lower handlebars, Tether, body is all black with arctic fx black wrapped tunnel, Zbros Racing 36inch front end with billet upper arms, Evans shock were sent in and revlaved for the 36front and dual rate springs installed. other parts have been powdercoated flouresent type green actually looks really sharp, Powdercoated parts are, spindles, rear rails, rear shock springs, rear bumper, has aluminum rear bumper rather than the carbon fiber, all the panel twists coated, handlebar post mounts coated. skid bolts and other misc fasteners.

So only thing 2012 actually on the sled is the tunnel chassis itself and the upper dash and digital instrument panel, pretty much everything else is 2014, well had a new 2015 take off 163 track. Really a Badass lookin sled, A lot happier with this one than the 14 I was originaly buying that had no extra goodies other than a small polaris tunnel bag. and this sled was $2500 cheaper with all these killer goodies and accessories.

Thanks, JKinzer..
Wildcard

20160414_191544.jpg 20160413_190244.jpg 20160412_152703.jpg 20160412_152723.jpg

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Ya got it from Kinzer he gave me a sweet price on it. had has some pretty sweet accessories and mods, Cant wait to get it out.

Ive got a lot of gear and other supplies from Kinzer when he worked somewhere else also.

I work at a popular transmission shop in Lewiston and build and work on his and families vehicles, rebuilt the transfercase in his Brother Brads duramax chevy about a week before his unfortunate accident, RIP BKinzer

Really excited about this sled, so nice having an injected sled that pulls over so easy pretty much first pull and walk away , don`t have to mess with the choke full to mid, off and still cleaning out the throttle from loading up and stuff like carbs. My wife is a smaller gal and can finaly start this one, Lol

Wildcard

Premium Features