• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond Drive oil B.D.E vs Arctic Cat oil ?? Mixing ??

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Long Story Short....

I've noticed Black Diamond Oil is browner and heavier that Arctic Cat Oil for the Diamond Drive. If I drain the rest of my fresh B.D.E. oil and I can only find Arctic Cat oil here in town will they mix without issue?

Long Story.....

Last year I changed to the upgraded Seal kit of the 05/06 D.D.'s Case when I did my anual oil/gasket change. ( first time changing any type of seal ) Changed the oil and made new gasket's at least 5 times before.....

This year I pulled off the D.D. and I noticed oil in the bottom of the bottom output shaft seal..... There was still oil in the D.D. but it had a worn smell and was time to be changed. I've cooked a set of gears and a planatry once because I didn't change the oil and I swore never to ride a " New Year " without a Fresh D.D.

I cleaned the D.D. in a nice clean solvent cleaner at work (Which I've never done before) on the suggestion that it was safe and had been done before...and would not harm the seals.

A friend recommended that I pack seal where the trackshaft accepts the D.D. output gear (Which I've never done before) That seemed like a good idea to prevent water getting into the D.D.

Dimond Drive was now Fresh and Ready for install.....

Not having much luck with the connection of the box and shaft.....( Prior to changing oil I tightened my track )

All of a sudden oil starts leaking from the D.D. output gear seal.... ( I had the sled up on it's side tring to work the D.D. output gear into the track shaft)

Pulled the D.D. out cleaned it up. Spun it, held it up at all angles and it wouldn't leak........

Tried to connect the D.D. to the Trackshaft again got the sled up on it's side trying to wiggle the D.D. onto the shaft and Oil starts leaking again......

Great... Now of the 3 Oz's of oil I've got enough on the concrete to stop working on my sled.....

I ordered the B.D.E. oil and it's darker and heavier than the Arctic cat oil which is clear and light....

I can only get A/C oil in the near by town.....

I do not want to remove all of that silicone ( But may have to incase I screwed up the D.D. Seal upgrade kit last year)

Can I drain most of the B.D.E. Oil from the case and add a new A/C oil..... How willl the two oil's mix??

Is it possible that the solvent or packing the seal with grease could of played a roll in this??

I think it was mostly from trying so hard and wiggling the D.D.too much trying to mate it up with the Track Shaft..... That caused the seals to leak during install...

But I can't help recall seeing the oil in the seal's during disassembly..... I've done alot of things different this time and this is the first time I've ever had any problems??

I Know that I don't have enough Oil in my D.D. even if I went back down and tried to mate the gear to the shaft...

Everything will be closed tomorrow and I am still down and waiting to get riding...... Between waiting for parts and necessary tools preventing me from doing things like the Stator I've felt like I won't get out this year..... Then when all I need to do is put the D.D. back in it springs a Leak......????? It may just be some strange force keeping me off the hill this year.....??

I haven't even rode yet this year but probably have 40 hours of wrenching on my sled tweaking it and getting it ready for this year......

I was supposed to go out for a chew tonight for New Years.... But if I hadn't bitten off more than I could chew wanting to freshen up the D.D. Change out my A Arms and put on new Powder Pro's I'de be out ripping it up right now on my first Day off......

Any insight on why I leaked oil....?? If it was the new cleaning process in solvent and grease packing that could of caused the leak during istall....??? And if you can mix B.D.E. Oil with Cat Oil..... Would be greatly apprectiated!!!

Frustrated as like a Fox in a Rubber Chicked factory!!!!

Happy New Years :):beer;

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
holy crap, with all that typing when do you have time to ride? lol

2 funny..... :beer;

All I need is about 1.25 oz of Oil and I could ride.... I wish working on the sled was as easy as typing..... LOL

Happy New Year

:)

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you will be ok mixing..look truth be known you could use alot..and i mean alot of gear lube options that work ok in the diamond drive..anyway mix that little bit you need and you can sleep nights..

R
Nov 29, 2007
What are you guys using to pull out the old seals? I ordered the BDX seal/bearing tool but it appears it is only for installing the seals, not pulling them out... Any tips would help

Premium Features