• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking at buying a 10 m8

S
Nov 27, 2013
Like the title says, looking at buying a 2010 m8 with 2000miles on it. The guys unsure if the DD bearing has been upgraded. Is it safe to assume if it's went 2000 miles it's been done? Any way of physically verifying it's been done? Anything else I should be worried about before I buy? I have been reading the clutchs are weak?

Thanks

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
I have 4500 miles on my 2010 M8 turbo dd has not been done. I think this was an issue with some sleds and not with others. Great sleds

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The only real way to check is to look.

It's pretty easy to remove the entire DD case on those. And then you'll be looking right at it. You'll know if it's toast. You should probably be checking the oil for a change when getting one of these used anyway.

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Bought one last year with 950 miles. Owner tried to down play the bearing issue....I could hear that is was failing so I bought it knowing I needed to do that work. Dealer replaced bearings and went through DD. Really like the sled, amazed at how comfortable and easy it is to ride. Hope it continues to work well. I would like to find another!
Good luck!

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Bought one last year with 950 miles. Owner tried to down play the bearing issue....I could hear that is was failing so I bought it knowing I needed to do that work. Dealer replaced bearings and went through DD. Really like the sled, amazed at how comfortable and easy it is to ride. Hope it continues to work well. I would like to find another!
Good luck!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I didnt notice my bearing making noise years ago but checked it because of what others on this site were experiencing. The bearing seals were knocked out of place and the bearing cage was broken in multiple spots and even missing in others and numerous balls were touching each other. Grease was all gone but bearings were coated in dd oil.

I am not aware of anyone who has experienced total failure of the bearing, though I do believe it is inevitable once the cage is broken.

My theory is that once the seals are dislodged due to the cage coming apart, dd oil can get to the bearings and provide lubrication and the bearing life is extended.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Check around the steering brackets for bulkhead cracks. Great sleds and still capable of riding with the newer stuff, albeit with a bit more rider effort.

Premium Features