• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching M7

FarmerTimBob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2014
Putting a 2.6 on a M7 along with tunnel update. Motor is stock. Should a guy change gearing? Put updated bearings in a couple years ago. Change clutching? Got a rktek conversion kit for the stock secondary just haven't installed yet. Any advice would be great.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
gearing

it took Cat until the end of the M series to figure out a stock m sled with a good track is too high geared.

stock high gearing, the track is always overpowering the clutching, the result has been 1000s of goofy clutch kits and fixes when the issue was incorrect gearing.......ditto for the 6 and 10000.

gear same as the 2010, clutching then dictates power delivery to track, unlike stock geared M's where clutching is a moving target depending upon snow condtions, etc etc.

Bill Aufderheyde

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
gear change

I did a gear change to 54/66. Bought gears from Black Diamond. I am very happy with the gearing. I had to use a dremel tool to give the larger gear some space so every thing would fit. (remove some of the internal housing of the DD). I have about 2500 miles on sled since gearing down and I have the power claw track. Ride mountains only. Well worth the expense.

Bill

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Gearing down two sizes in the DD (I believe 55/65) and doing the 10.4" secondary with a black/orange speedwerx spring ran awesome in my m7. No case mods required for the gearing I ran

Premium Features