• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative impact 36" M-chassis a arm kit

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Hey guys. I don't have much for details at this time but just wanted to get this out there. New for this comming season we will have the 36" stance for the M chassis. I have not had a price increase for over 5 years so unfortunately this will be the year but I will be doing a pre season order option that should keep things at a current price point. I'll try to keep tabs on this for any questions you may have. Thanks!
Dan

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
A Few Questions

The stock arm is 39" so are these arms 1.5" shorter per side ?

Chromoly or Ti options?

Will I need to shorted my 17.5" shocks or have you designed these to have correct camber ?

Thx

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
The stock arm is 39" so are these arms 1.5" shorter per side ?

Chromoly or Ti options?

Will I need to shorted my 17.5" shocks or have you designed these to have correct camber ?

Thx

Stock M is 40-41. This kit will be a 36-37" so 2" per side. Because the shocks do not actually connect to the arms in this application there is not a way to adjust for shock length. New shocks or shortening of your current shocks if they are rebuildable will be required. They will be available in both Ti and cromoly. Thanks!
Dan

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
What length of shock will a guy need? And is it easy to shorten a shock, using stock 09 fox air shock?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
What length of shock will a guy need? And is it easy to shorten a shock, using stock 09 fox air shock?

It's not set in stone yet but so far a 16.5-16.625" shock is going to be the target range. The fox airs are nice because they are rebuildable and shaving 1/2" off is not a problem. We don't do shock work but there are several great guys here on the forum that do. Toms just to name one off the top of my head.
Dan

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I think 1 " shorter per side would do the trick and I think we ( the customers ) would not have to shorten our shocks. just a thought
FWIW I've been wanting to try a 2" narrower stance on my M. Im also trying to not upgrade to the PC so this would help.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
I think 1 " shorter per side would do the trick and I think we ( the customers ) would not have to shorten our shocks. just a thought
FWIW I've been wanting to try a 2" narrower stance on my M. Im also trying to not upgrade to the PC so this would help.

What I was wondering if they go 1" shorter and also bent them down a little to get narrower and also to get a little more ski pressure. I dropped the front skid like most guys and could use a little more ski pressure. This is similar to what they've done to the 15 t3. Would this work or make sense?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
What I was wondering if they go 1" shorter and also bent them down a little to get narrower and also to get a little more ski pressure. I dropped the front skid like most guys and could use a little more ski pressure. This is similar to what they've done to the 15 t3. Would this work or make sense?
I'm not following you on that but essentially if your after a little more ski pressure a longer shock will do that but where you run into sometimes the deal breakers are when the excessive shock length creates a binding issue whether it's because a bushing has become over extended and brought to beyond what it's misalignment can give it, be it a rod end bushing ( not applicable here) shock bushing etc. To be honest I'm not really far enough into it to know what or if any issues will arise with the longer shocks. Guys have been able to run longer shocks on most of my other kits for the simple fact I allow for it. It's not always the proper way to finish off the kit but for what little negatives there are it works for the guys that don't want to or just can't drop more cash on rebuilding or even another 1k+ on new shocks. The way the M is designed I really can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you for what your trying to accomplish but...
Thanks!
Dan

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Fyi: Raptor quoted me $150 to shorten both Raptor front shocks and replace the seals. I didn't think that was too bad.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
The stock shocks seem to work fine but it's the same old song.. Increases ride height slightly and adds some ski pressure. Best way to finish up the kit is shorter shocks 16.5" but not a must. Should have some back from the coater in a couple weeks. Thanks!
Dan

NikOtiN

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2012
Cali
The stock shocks seem to work fine but it's the same old song.. Increases ride height slightly and adds some ski pressure. Best way to finish up the kit is shorter shocks 16.5" but not a must. Should have some back from the coater in a couple weeks. Thanks!
Dan

Maybe you know who sell 16.5" shocks on market?

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Any one figure out what sleds might have 16.5/ 16.75" shocks ?
just thinking it might be easier to sell the M shocks and buy some other ones.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
Been talking to Ken at mountain magic and he has a set just hasn't installed them yet, he is going with a skidoo shock. I'm waiting till he has figured out and will be going with what he recommends.

NikOtiN

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2012
Cali
Any one figure out what sleds might have 16.5/ 16.75" shocks ?
just thinking it might be easier to sell the M shocks and buy some other ones.

I spoke with Jake Anderson from Raptor Performance Shocks, he said that they can sell brand new shock with length that we need for 525$, so without extra $$$ charging for cutting.

Premium Features