• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Secondary Clutch Mods ?

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have a 09 M8 that's totally stock and it's time to do some clutch maintenance. I'm replacing the pins and weights in the primary because there getting sloppy. Anyway, a fellow rider was telling me that the stock secondary on my M8 would work much better with a different spring setup. I think he mentioned this one: http://www.2strokeheads.com/clutchkit.htm The ad says it's discontinued so I don't if it's available anymore? What's the word, are there some relatively easy and inexpensive mods to make my secondary shift better? Honestly, I don't have any complaints with it now, but if it's design is inhibiting performance than I'll consider a mod. Thanks.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I sent mine in to bdx for the new HD bushing, rebuild, truing, shift assist, etc.... I was really impressed with the results when I got it back.

-Stack

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
Good results with the FormulaX1? And what did having BDX work your clutch over cost? I'll have to follow this post....

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I don't have the paperwork with the cost, it was done at the end of the 2013 season. They did a great job though, this also included machining the sheaves, my downshift was greatly improved.

-Stack

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
When that secondary gets wore out they do not shift worth a crud. The center hub and small outer bushing is the problem you will lose rpm in a climb because it will not back shift unless you let off the throttle. this happens slowly most will not even realize it untill its just horrible. the bdx mod trues up the center hub and puts a wider thicker bushing in that area. as far as there rollers there to hard and break often. i would use cutler or stock over rockrollers .

Itsstock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Woodbury,MN
My brother in law installed the BMP secondary clutch kit on his 2011 M8 153" this year. It worked awesome. Really brought the sled alive. Backshifted (and upshifted) really good. His sled is stock except for a can and this secondary clutch kit. He was beating everyone on our group (2014 M8, 2015 M8, 2013 Pro) this last season. I am going to be picking one up for my sled for next season.

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
When that secondary gets wore out they do not shift worth a crud. The center hub and small outer bushing is the problem you will lose rpm in a climb because it will not back shift unless you let off the throttle. this happens slowly most will not even realize it untill its just horrible. the bdx mod trues up the center hub and puts a wider thicker bushing in that area. as far as there rollers there to hard and break often. i would use cutler or stock over rockrollers .

The Formula x-1 mod is like the Hercules helix for 2012+. Huge end cap w a helix & short thick spring. It works Awsome everywhere w stock primary tuning. Instant back shift, never a bog. Mel also has a secondary repair that I think is better than removing a little aluminum & replacing a thicker bushing. He cuts the hub off and screws on a steel one. Then puts a new wide bushing in the moveable. No more aluminum to ware! Permanent

zr870

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2014
The Formula x-1 mod is like the Hercules helix for 2012+. Huge end cap w a helix & short thick spring. It works Awsome everywhere w stock primary tuning. Instant back shift, never a bog. Mel also has a secondary repair that I think is better than removing a little aluminum & replacing a thicker bushing. He cuts the hub off and screws on a steel one. Then puts a new wide bushing in the moveable. No more aluminum to ware! Permanent
So whats the cost of having that done....need to rework 2 clutchs

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
The Formula x-1 mod is like the Hercules helix for 2012+. Huge end cap w a helix & short thick spring. It works Awsome everywhere w stock primary tuning. Instant back shift, never a bog. Mel also has a secondary repair that I think is better than removing a little aluminum & replacing a thicker bushing. He cuts the hub off and screws on a steel one. Then puts a new wide bushing in the moveable. No more aluminum to ware! Permanent[/QUOTE

Any recent updates from mountain riders using their setups?

Found this from 2011:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-286658.html

Pretty happy with the customer service and performance from BDX!

-Stack

Last edited:
M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
So whats the cost of having that done....need to rework 2 clutchs
$2?? can't remember exactly. Worth every cent! Just ordered another x-1 for a used 2010 cf8 le I picked up cheap. Speedwerx clutch kit in it is garbage with 4600rpm engagement . I run cutler adjustable and their primary springs with thunder abc & glide washers

Premium Features