• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching Guru's

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Alright everyone, I went for a ride today on the M7 and wanted to ask you guys a few questions. I am riding in Central Washington between 5-7k feet. I have a stock M7 with the 10.4 clutch. Sled will turn up 7900 wide up open, but feels a doggy on the bottom end. Should I run a lighter set of weights? I can't remember what I have in there now, but I believe I am running a 36 straight helix on the Secondary. Seems to me the downshifting is just laggy. Wanted to get your guys opinion.

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Cat belt? Make sure your weights are not hangin up. Loosen pin nut until weight drops after you lift it. Is your 10.4 new? Hub bushing could b binding. Aerosol dry graphite lube on secondary hub might b first thing to try. If it helps your hub& bushing are binding. If your pulling 7900 your weights are right. If everything I mentioned checks out you could also turn down your oil pump. Primary spring might also be hangin up in cups. If paint is missing off sides of primary spring. White sec spring?

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Primary spring has a few seasons on it. Both clutches I went through earlier this year so I know the bushings are good, but maybe the primary spring is getting weak. It's the yel/white spring in the primary and an orange spring in the secondary. Should I be rocking a different spring in the secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
That orange secondary spring is too heavy for the M7. Its probably not upshifting as fast as it should as a result. You could probably go to a little steeper helix down at that elevation to get more jump out of the hole as well.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
That orange secondary spring is too heavy for the M7. Its probably not upshifting as fast as it should as a result. You could probably go to a little steeper helix down at that elevation to get more jump out of the hole as well.

Thats kinda what I feel like is happening. Just a slow upshift until the motor is spooling up enough and then it pulls. I am going to have to look through my clutching parts and see what other helix's I have. I think I have a 40 but im not positive. Which spring are you thinking for the secondary?? I did this same 10.4 conversion to a M6 but it was at Sea Level.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'd put a stock white one back in and try that 40 helix, especially if you are riding spring snow conditions and not a 250+lb guy. If you get into some heavy snow, your backshift may be a little sluggish.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
195 lbs. Just checked, I have the 40 helix already in. I'm running premix and its running rich right now because I put a fresh top end in. I'll lighten up the premix my next trip and try it out!! It just doesn't feel like its loading up like that but it could be!!

Premium Features