• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 with ECU 12 code runs but shuts down

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
My 2009 M8 will idle good until it warms up and then it throws a ECU code 12 and dies when it warms up. If you let it sit and cool it starts but give it throttle and sputters and coughs code comes up and dies again.

Ive checked the coil wires under tank and there good. Injector wires are good. Unpluged everything on the handlebars and thats all good.

Not sure if it could be a bad coil since theres 2 per cylinder id think it would still run. Not sure which wires on the stator to check and how to do that process but i have an ohm meter. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Last edited:
C
Jan 14, 2012
New sled to you-new mods? Or did the problem start out of the blue?

I see in you sig that you list a M8 with SLP Stage III, I assume thats the sled you are having the problem with?
If so, and you do have a SLP pipe on it
Check the injector wires under the exhaust heat sheild.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Ya its got the slp stage 3 on it but ive ran it for 2 years and it just started acting up the last two rides.

Ive already checked the Injector wires their good to go.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Ya a friend of mine went down to a couple shops and they both are saying its the stator so were going to replace it next weekend. Thanks guys ill post back and let you know if it fixed the problem.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
New stator

The new stator fixed my problem. A big thanks to my friend Ed for replacing it and doing a lot of research on this problem. The sled has never ran this good. To bad there's not more snow...

Premium Features