• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic cat M7 reverse (video!)

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
Any idea if this is gonna happen. I Don't have an oil pump. I premix .. let me know I'm very interested. My son's m7 needs it bad lol . I'm tired of being his reverse...

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
Small update - tested the stock m7 oil pump, it definitely does not pump in reverse, but it also does not flow backwards. Meaning, as soon as the motor is running in forward again, it's getting oil.
I'm comfortable running my own sled like this for short periods (aka reversing out of my truck etc.), but I am not interested in being responsible for seizing up anyone else's motor.

Still thinking a 15-20 sec delay and rpm limit of 6000 or so. Maybe a premix version without it.

Testing it out this weekend, getting closer to reality!

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
Yea sorry guys, no updates.
Ended up losing my M7 down a cliff early this season, it's being rebuilt as we speak..obviously it has sidelined the project, but I was pretty close before this happened. Probably going to fire it up again this weekend.

Pretty mangled, had to pull it out with the heli

IMG_6880.jpg

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Considering the price M's sell for I would just sell the seven and buy an 09 and up with electronic reverse .I have put 09 wiring harness is in 07's with BDX light and you have reverse. The 8 is a better engine with more option to make more HP.

M
Oct 20, 2013
M7 backwards

Don't quote me on this, but I think all original engine reverse sleds don't oil in reverse. Typically a person is in reverse for short enough period and below 1/4 throttle no damage occurs. I am also interested in this engine reverse for $300. If it can be done without changing the ECU and wiring harness?

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Don't quote me on this, but I think all original engine reverse sleds don't oil in reverse. Typically a person is in reverse for short enough period and below 1/4 throttle no damage occurs. I am also interested in this engine reverse for $300. If it can be done without changing the ECU and wiring harness?

I'll second that notion. I'm pretty sure Ski-doo's engine reverse didn't oil until the late '00's, if then. One reason for the annoying beeper was to keep you from just sitting there idling in reverse.

With the excess oil that Cat sets most of these sleds up with, I don't think you're running much risk using reverse for the normal duration of a reverse event. Give a warning that reverse use should be kept to less than 30 seconds, or 60 seconds, and low throttle only.

To be honest, if some idiot wants to back down the trail at 30mph to show how cool he is, he'll quickly find out that rear steer is highly unstable at speed, and that fact will and remove him from the gene pool long before the engine seizes. :)

One last thing to think of... If the engine is running backwards, and you grab the pull start, it'll engage and immediately break the rope/your hand/internals. Not sure if that's protected for on sleds with factory engine reverse... (Anyone want to try it??)

Sure seems like a timing delay box (with about 330° of "delay") would do the trick at making most of these engines run in reverse at lower RPM's... :)

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
update

Hey guys, time for an update,

I had sidelined the project due to crashing my sled and my son being born, but it's being worked on again. The video at the start of the thread is an entirely different system than the video posted below. Part way through the project, I decided to change directions and make it 100% electronic.

As for the lack of updates, I don't want to promise anything I can't deliver(again). So for anyone wondering what the timeline is for completion: It will be done when its done. If it looks like something is going to sideline this project again, I will just make it open source. Stay tuned for updates, I'll do my best to keep them happening.

This video is from today, a happy new year to myself and anyone else who is following this - pushbutton reverse on a 2006 M7, on my sled..finally

https://youtu.be/mtzb01japc4

Premium Features