• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

e-start flex shaft removal?

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have removed the e-start from my Pro. Everything came out per the instructions posted in the estart removal thread and parts diagram...except the flexible shaft. It is stuck on the bendix. I was planning to just leave the bendix on the sled. All indications are the flex shaft is simply seized on the bendix.

Am I missing something obvious? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I can't help you with the shaft removal but would you mind weighing the parts you took off? I am curious how much weight you removed.

Thanks in advance.

J
Feb 15, 2003
Greenfield, MN(55357)
Must be slightly seized(as you stated) because it does just push on when assembling. You could remove the bendix from the crankcase by removing the 3 allen bolts. Doing this would get you the bendix and flex shaft removed all in one motion. Tip: You can gain easier access to these 3 bolts by removing the exhaust Y-pipe.

-John

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Griff,

I've nere had to apply heat, but you could-- it's a metal shady out of starter and metal collar on flex shaft.

Or shoot some PB blaster in there.

Either way, get a little screwdriver under the collar and pry it off...

The Bendix (pinion gear assembly) can be bear to get off when motor is sitting in chassis. I don't blame you wanting to leave it on.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I sure wish I would have left the bendix in mine when I pulled it out! Was planning on putting it on another sled but it was such a pain to get that out even with the y pipe off that I haven't wanted to do it!

Now that sled is getting sold after the season. I'm not wasting the time. Eventually the starter is going back on the sled I took it off of. Definitely should have left the bendix and fought the bendy shaft off.

Good luck. I would fight that bendy shaft for hours before I started trying to take the bolts out of the case. Even with them heated and the y pipe off it was still an unbelievable pain.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ok. Thanks everyone. It is definitely stubborn. Have been able to get a screwdriver behind the collar to apply some leverage and still no luck. Didn't want to get too forceful without asking for tips first.

Perk- I'll get everything weighed....eventually.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I will say that when holding the battery in my hand, and then the starter motor too, I was thinking removing them was a great idea. Regardless of actual weight that is how heavy they feel.

Premium Features