• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switchback Assault?

T
Jan 6, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
Seriously looking at picking up a 2012 or newer Switchback Assault but was wondering how tough they were?

Do they require any bulkhead or tunnel plates like the pro rmk?

Im a big boy 350+. Im not a jumper though. Im looking for a good on/off trail sled . My other options are a Doo freeride or backcountry.

What are the weak points of the Switchback Assault?

Thanks

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
I never folded my assault or rmk with a ton of hard pack jumping. Weak points I saw were the rear bumper and running boards. Make sure to keep your shocks in good working order and it takes a lot of damage away from other components

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB
I have owned 2 and a buddy owned 3. We are both 175-190 but ride like we steal em. Buddy cased an ice road at 80MPH one time. No issues. No reinforcement. Only bent a arm was from hitting a rock where it directly hit the a arm. They seem much stronger than doo's when you hit objects with your skis.

After reading on here I'll likely add reinforcement to my RMK to be safe. I think it's more vulnerable with the longer tunnel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
I go 250# before gear and I'm not easy on my Assault. 3000 miles and no chassis issues, much stronger than any of the Doo's in my riding group. The back bumper is plastic but I haven't hurt it yet. The running boards just hole a tremendous amount of snow and really don't fit what the sled was designed to do. I will be changing them before next season.

At 350 you will have to have the rear shocks revalved and run stiffer torsion springs if you plan to any trail riding.

P
Mar 23, 2013
Choiceland sask
I've hooked a few stump and one highway sign that was under the snow with my skis on my assault thinking that I'll see a mangled a arm but nothing tweaked at all. They are probably one of the toughest sleds out imo. I thing the rails are a bit meatier near the rear also because I've landed on the tail too many times that I've seen cats pretzel up on the same landings. Been hard on shocks too but I'm definitely gonna mile out this machine before I get ride of er.

B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN
I have a buddy here in MN with a 2012 for sale. Sled looks like it is off the showroom floor. I think the ad is in the for-sale section. Not sure where you're located because you don't have location info in your profile.

Rob

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
I have a swb assault 2011, owned it since it was new. Used it pretty hard, changed a-arms 2 times and fixed front and rear suspension once. It can take alot of beating, no doubt. Good on and off trail with some minor changes. Very good overall sled.

Gotmud

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
I've got 2800 hard miles on my 2011 switchback assault. Perfect all around crossover sled. I've bent A-arms, bumpers, and folded running board up, I also bent the rails. I ride the sled very hard and it never skips a beat. Ready to ride with a backpack I'm pushing 300# and the sled just takes a beating. I've just passed it on to my son and I'm confident he will be able to follow me anywhere I go. I don't notice a big difference from my 155" unless its over the hood powder. Unfortunately I haven't seen that this year lol.:face-icon-small-dis

FlatLand_J

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2013
I'll ask here because I can find little comment on the Switch Assault as a trail sled.

Considering a '16 if it gets the Axys front end and motor. Would prefer a 1.75 track and would love to see RMK boards on it as well.... Question is, how does it do as a trail sled?

Dec and January are typically trail only. By this time of year we have feet of snow and can spend the whole day riding from one play area to the next. My Axys SwitchBack ProX with gripper skis has been good off trail but I could certainly use more float in some areas.

sconnierider

Premium Member
Nov 10, 2010
Madison, WI
I've got a 2011 SBA and love it. I'm 225 lbs soaking wet. With tunnel pack and backpack, I suspect I am every bit of 255 lbs. I use it for boondocking in the UP of MI. Had it out to Twogotee, WY once, now my son who works for Vail has it and rips around in the mountains. Hit all sorts of stuff and have never bent anything yet. I did install the belly-pan reinforcement that Polaris offers. Been a great sled. Will get another one.

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
I'll ask here because I can find little comment on the Switch Assault as a trail sled.

Considering a '16 if it gets the Axys front end and motor. Would prefer a 1.75 track and would love to see RMK boards on it as well.... Question is, how does it do as a trail sled?

Dec and January are typically trail only. By this time of year we have feet of snow and can spend the whole day riding from one play area to the next. My Axys SwitchBack ProX with gripper skis has been good off trail but I could certainly use more float in some areas.

It is good on the trails. Good off trails to. Would say its one of the best crossover sleds, period :)

Gotmud

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
The only thing worrying me about buying one is the motor reliability .

Depends on who you ask. I have 3000 miles on my 2011, hasn't skipped a beat. I was worried for the first 1200 miles because of all the internet garbage I read, don't buy into the hype. Over the past few years I've come to accept that EVERY rider that blew up a Polaris posted it all over the internet.... yes there are a lot.... but how many happy customers like me have 3000 miles that you don't hear about because they aren't keyboard racing, they are out putting miles on..:juggle:

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
The only thing worrying me about buying one is the motor reliability .

Im also wondering if it will be on the axis chassis for 2016 and have the new ho motor?

3600 miles on my 14' 800 and no motor issues. I will prob put Pistons in after next season as preventative maitinance.

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY

The SBA is a sweet trail sled in all but the tightest woods trails, I have no problem keeping up with any short track around here. It's not a big bump sled by any means but I have just as much fun trail riding as I do boondocking. The cobra is pretty capable in the deep stuff.

I had my shocks revalved before this season and went to the .375 rear springs which helped in the bumps but stiffer springs cause the sled to trench a little more when starting off in the deep powder. I lost the immediate "pop" up onto the snow but she does get there and it is a worth while compromise to me.
The SBA really is a do everything crossover sled which is important for where and how I ride.

I'm curious as to where your Pro-X fell short off trail? I'm not a huge fan of the no tunnel look which is one of the reasons I ended up on an SBA but the new AXYS sleds are supposed to be sliced bread and with the SBA not moving to the new chassis I may have to look harder at one.

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB

All depends who you talk to. I have an RMK and just did a 450 mile ride on Saturday Sunday and yesterday got back from a 2 day 600 mile ride...

It's more work than an SBA but doable and worth it in the deep. I am considering a switchback or rush for trails but only if I have the coin laying around. SBA if you don't go to the mountains or RMK if you go occasionally like I do. One thing that's nice is he SBA front end lifts easier. I don't ride around doing wheelies all day but when in marshy areas with stumps it's nice to keep the front end high and it's tougher on the RMK

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB
As for motor problems, I had 2600 on a 2011 before sinking it, and 4000 on a 2012 when I sold it, buddy bought it and had 5000 when the crank snapped at the clutch. So not all Pistons are bad...

Buddy has blown 3 up and stores his in a heated garage. I think condensation has something to do with it

Premium Features