• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carl's Cycle 900 Big Bore Short Block for Sale

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Might be the last 900 for the pro they ever build and sell.

With the total price, most peeps are going to simply jump to the Axys, first. Few are gonna be so in love with the pro in the next year to dump that coin on a NA non-current chassis. You can blow your pro 800 motor, rebuild and sell it, move to an Axys, and still be close to that money. If you just want hp for your pro, lots of hair dryers will exist for much less.

Not dumping on Carl's stuff, I've bought many items from them, just shows how the market changes when a new model comes out. I am thinking they are working on the Axys 900 already, maybe with a core exchange.

^^^BINGO

and you will be back to trying to get pistons just like the 910 or the 975, five years out no support.

Last edited:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I believe that has already been proven and it really kinda sucks for all the people that did buy the kits and don't want to upgrade yet they just want to fix or maintain what they have. Try and get parts for an 860 motor now. Then try and get parts for a 910 motor and let me know how that works. Once they come out with a new motor the old one pretty much becomes non existent. You can still buy turbo parts for any year sled as they still support them. Can't say the same about the Carls motors though. Just my experience when my 860 went down it became scrap metal cause the cranks were non rebuildable and they don't stock them anymore. Kinda hurts when you get told that
Strange, that must have been the carb'd 860? The CFI 860 (I have) uses the stock crank (if I recall correctly), ported top case, custom cast cylinders, custom Wiseco pistons and rings (which I just ordered a set and put them in to freshen up the top end), stock wristpin bearings. Custom exhaust valves. Mostly stock gaskets, but I ordered all the top end parts and gaskets from them just to reduce the hassle.

I will be the first to admit I would not have dropped the coin on a brand new Carls motor and/or kit for the Dragon. I just don't want to have that much money into a sled when it is unlikely I will ever recoup much of it. Love the 860 torque though. Picking up the Dragon I have for the price I did was definitely worth it for the years I have had it. But if I knew I would be unable to get parts in another year or two the sled would be down the road while it still has a little added value... however if I am right about the custom vs. standard parts on my motor, as long as I don't completely destroy a cylinder and can get pistons, I should be good indefinitely.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Oops was gonna edit my post and accidentally deleted it. Anyway yes in my situation it was a carbed 860 built off the 600. Custom polaris race shop crank. They don't build the crank anymore and I tried having it rebuilt but carls did tell me that when they press them apart you can never get them lined back up again. JJ machinery tried and tried then called me and confirmed what carls had said. You are right though as long as you don't destroy a cylinder on your CFI 860 then you should be ok. 910 motors are the same but have stud bolt problems and you can't get cylinder studs anymore. The carbed 860 was one of the best running N/A motor I have ever had though. For some reason they ran better than the CFI 860

P

P_Ray3040

Jul 26, 2012
Phelps, Wisconsin
I have a 14 with a carls cycle 900 and you couldn't pay me to own another one. I developed a bog at 7300 rpm after the first few rides of the season and changed every single part on the sled thinking it electrical. Me and my brother finally decided to check the ecu. My brother has a 15 with a bikeman 860 which runs the stock ecu with a power commander. We switch ecu's and I put the power commander on and there was no bog. I call carls February 5th and tell them what I did and they said they have never ran a power commander on these kits and wanted to reflash a ecu instead. So I get the new ecu that's been reflashed and my bog has changed to 6800. So to see these posts of them saying you have to have a power commander and a ecu reflash really pisses me off because my sled is unridable *** it sits.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
I have a 14 with a carls cycle 900 and you couldn't pay me to own another one. I developed a bog at 7300 rpm after the first few rides of the season and changed every single part on the sled thinking it electrical. Me and my brother finally decided to check the ecu. My brother has a 15 with a bikeman 860 which runs the stock ecu with a power commander. We switch ecu's and I put the power commander on and there was no bog. I call carls February 5th and tell them what I did and they said they have never ran a power commander on these kits and wanted to reflash a ecu instead. So I get the new ecu that's been reflashed and my bog has changed to 6800. So to see these posts of them saying you have to have a power commander and a ecu reflash really pisses me off because my sled is unridable *** it sits.

Mine had a bog that was really annoying when I first got it. Called Carls and they told me Ya we have been having a few issues with that but I was already running the reflashed ECU and a PCV. They emailed me a new map for the PCV and the bog went away. Unfortunately you will have to get a PCV but if you wanted maybe try throwing your stock pipe on and see if the bog goes away. I don't know just trying to help. How does it run compared to the bikeman 860? I have heard rumor that the RKT 858 runs better than the 900 but I have never witnessed this personally so just curious

P

P_Ray3040

Jul 26, 2012
Phelps, Wisconsin
Mine had a bog that was really annoying when I first got it. Called Carls and they told me Ya we have been having a few issues with that but I was already running the reflashed ECU and a PCV. They emailed me a new map for the PCV and the bog went away. Unfortunately you will have to get a PCV but if you wanted maybe try throwing your stock pipe on and see if the bog goes away. I don't know just trying to help. How does it run compared to the bikeman 860? I have heard rumor that the RKT 858 runs better than the 900 but I have never witnessed this personally so just curious

I will have to try the power commander it's just annoying 3 weeks ago they told me they never have ran a power commander on there and now you have to have it to make it run. The 860 to the 900 is hard to say I don't think mine has ran top notch right from the start and I know that my brothers 860 has never had one issue and he's got between 600 and 700 miles on it

M
Nov 28, 2007
I will have to try the power commander it's just annoying 3 weeks ago they told me they never have ran a power commander on there and now you have to have it to make it run. The 860 to the 900 is hard to say I don't think mine has ran top notch right from the start and I know that my brothers 860 has never had one issue and he's got between 600 and 700 miles on it

Is it possible that maybe the fault lies in your hands on this one? If you don't have a power commander your lucky it still runs. did you buy the kit directly from carls or did you buy it used? They have run a power commander on the 900 from day one. Carls process on building/shipping out 900 kits is dialed, considering they have to modify the cases and flash the ecu. I would find it hard to believe they would send you one without telling you that a power commander was required.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Can someone elaborate on why this kit requires the installation of a piggy back fuel controller in addition to the reprogramming of the ECU?

Seems odd that all fueling changes wouldn't be done through re-flashing of the ECU.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Can someone elaborate on why this kit requires the installation of a piggy back fuel controller in addition to the reprogramming of the ECU?

Seems odd that all fueling changes wouldn't be done through re-flashing of the ECU.

Ignition timing map ??

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
RE-FLASHED E.C.U's

I'm little behind the times as I didn't realize the newer PCVs could control timing as well as fuel.

I suppose it would give the user the ability to tweak if needed.

I was suggesting that the reason they re-flashed the stock POLARIS E.C.U. is to re-program an entirely different timing curve into the factory E.C.U.

Some of The new DynoJet POWER COMMANDERS do have ignition timing adjustment capability, but my understanding is it's limited, (meaning advancing or retarding timing over that entire range of factory programmed timing curve built into the stock E.C.U.) not as flexible as a stand alone VIPEC.

And/or

If port timing were changed, E.C.U. needed to be re-flashed as the piggyback controllers don't have the capability to alter the fuel timing, only adding/or subtracting fuel

Indy Dan Long Rod motors had their E.C.U.'s re-flashed

Last edited:
M
Nov 28, 2007
I would guess because every motor is going to run differently, just like turbo kits, very few people can create a map for the ecu and program it, jack happens to be one of them. But, when a 900 kit gets sent to a different state and doesn't run spot on, its a lot easier to make changes via a power commander then it is to send an ecu back to carls.

Greetings Fellas!

As mentioned, altering port timing of the combustion chambers can necessitate a newly timed spark event to reap increased benefits of the hard parts modifications. Though not always essential, altering the Ignition timing as well as fueling can provide more useable/peak power.

The new Dynojet Power Commander V (PN #19-030 for CFI2 Engines and 19-032 for the AXYS) has the ability to alter fuel and timing in piggyback form. We've been doing this for years on Sportbikes, and combined the Fuel/Ignition Control into one box for Twins such as Harley's, RZR's, and even single cylinders like YZF450's. The latest and greatest unit from us did the same and combined fuel and CDI timing control into one box. These new units avail -100%/+250% fuel adjustment, and +/-20* of timing change. So say the stock ECU is requesting 20* of advance at a range, we can ramp that advance +20 to 40* of advance or retard it -20 to 0* (2S engines aren't really usable at 0* advance - but does show the adjustment range). This range should be plenty to encompass any desired shift in timing. As an added benefit, by having control of the fuel and timing, we can raise the stock RevLimit of the sled if you find yourself hitting it occasionally!

It's quite the versatile tuning tool and will unleash some hidden power in your Polaris's!

Thanks guys! Feel free to inquire more about our products anytime. I'm Always happy to help.
~T.J.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Caburators

Carburators are so much Eaiser to tune.

I noticed NASCAR used them to go 500 miles at 200 MPH on a 350 Chevy for years.

Fuel injection , there is fool born every minute.

I need to buy Stock in Power Commander so you FI guys can make me money.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Carburators are so much Eaiser to tune.

I noticed NASCAR used them to go 500 miles at 200 MPH on a 350 Chevy for years.

Fuel injection , there is fool born every minute.

I need to buy Stock in Power Commander so you FI guys can make me money.

yep when you change alt from 4300 to 10k you can just take a half an hour and tune them on the way up and the then again on the way down.

you can do on the fly tuning with other boxes if needed. 2 sec push of the button and you just changed jets:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If port timing were changed, E.C.U. needed to be re-flashed as the piggyback controllers don't have the capability to alter the fuel timing, only adding/or subtracting fuel

Indy Dan Long Rod motors had their E.C.U.'s re-flashed

Hmmmm.... I musta missed the LR reflash. Can you elaborate?

Premium Features