• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quickdrive Belt Failure

Dec 30, 2007
sd
Ok...20 years of sledding, about 9000 ,miles and never had a chainsaw issue...if my 15 pro breaks I will be upset.

M
Dec 2, 2013
NE ALBERTA
Is it not from when you are free spooling down hill or on a flat trail and then jamming on the throttle , same as braking hard then jamming on the throttle. there is always that hard transfer in this situation. This is hard on chains in chain cases also, Based on what I hear I do not think it is warranty.
JMO

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I'm surprised at the number of folks who have problems. I just turned 1,900 miles on my original quickdrive belt, still looks and feels like new (tight). I don't have any plans to change it any time soon and I run this sled like a scalded dog day after day pulling extremely steep terrain and 85 MPH runs down the road to the truck. I gave it about a 30 mile easy break in, been wide open ever since.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
It would appear that a fair number of the '15 driveshaft splines were machined to the low end of the tolerance ( Undersized and Loose). No bolt no matter how high the grade is, or how tight you torque it is going to hold up to the stresses this looseness causes to the bolt. This slop causes both axial and radial slop between the shaft and the sprocket and depending on the severity of this slop, will determine how fast you are breaking the bolt shanks off. The only real fix is to replace with an "in tolerance" well fitting splined end driveshaft. Whether you have to demand it warrantied or pay out of pocket and test fit your lower Sprocket at the parts counter before paying for the shaft.

Last edited:

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Every part I've made to be sent out for spline, whether it be internal or external splines, we hold a .005 tolerance. Whoever's providing these shafts for Polaris must be a team of monkeys if they can't hold .005!! I'd love to go to the dealer with a micrometer and investigate. Whatever nominal size spline they're using, the major diameter should be held +.000 -.005 from that. The pulley minor diameter (bore size) of the spline should be held +.005 -.000

C
Dec 24, 2014
I'm surprised at the number of folks who have problems. I just turned 1,900 miles on my original quickdrive belt, still looks and feels like new (tight). I don't have any plans to change it any time soon and I run this sled like a scalded dog day after day pulling extremely steep terrain and 85 MPH runs down the road to the truck. I gave it about a 30 mile easy break in, been wide open ever since.

It is a maintenance item. Polaris recommends you replace it every 2000 miles. If I keep this sled that long, it will get a new belt. I am sure the one that blew up looked brand new that morning and was as tight as could be. That isn't a very good assessment criteria IMO. I would at least remove it and give it a good inspection, looking for cracking at the base of the cogs. Good Luck

R
Nov 3, 2010
Changed mine at the 2000ish mile mark and just gonna use it as my spare now, sure it looked good but why risk it..jmo 2500+ on my 14 and pulling strong.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I pulled my 13 Pro apart to do some spline fit comparisons. This is the original belt with 2200 miles. Oddly enough the cracking is on the coast side of the cogs. I would say it is just from flexing. The updated belt seems to have reinforcing fibers on the ID.

picture.php

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I pulled my 13 Pro apart to do some spline fit comparisons. This is the original belt with 2200 miles. Oddly enough the cracking is on the coast side of the cogs. I would say it is just from flexing. The updated belt seems to have reinforcing fibers on the ID.

picture.php

Braking........

D
Its a belt. Some last a long time and some don't. Do you break in the belt before you hammer it? We have 13 belts that are still running and some that went away in 100 miles. (mostly because they didn't get broken in right) 14 about the same results. Buy a spare belt and a set of tools to change the belt and you will be set. You carry a drive belt spare and should carry a spare quick drive or have one somewhere close.
Any dealer who tells you a belt will not fail is not looking out for your safety.
http://happyfacepp.com/polaris-quick-drive-pulley-install-tools/

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada

picture.php

My belt looked the same way when i inspected it at 5300km, now i use it for a spare, but it definitely served its life since polaris recommends replacement every 3200km according to the manual. Changed out the belt with a new 13 belt(only had 13 in stock at the time) and now have another 1300km on the new belt no issues. Like the quickdrive system, only downside is having to baby it breaking in the belt.

Premium Features