• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro rmk low idle

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
2013 pro rmk 800 with 5800kms, for the past month or so my sled has started idling low. When I do a cold start I now usually have to stay next to the sled to bump the throttle every now and then so the sled doesn't die while warming up. Sometimes it will get low enough to shut off the gauge, and if im not next to the sled it will sound like it has blown a plug and is running on one cylinder but if I bump the throttle it will rev up fine. It's weird cause it does not do it constantly. When it warms up and while riding it usually idles a little better but still sometimes when i start it up right after im riding, it will almost die unless i bump the throttle and sometimes i gotta give it a bit of gas while i pull it over to make sure it doesnt die as soon as i pull it over. But like i said, it's not like that every time. I changed the fuel filter in november as well as clean the exhaust valves like i do every season, fresh plugs didn't change anything and throttle lever freeplay is within spec. No change. Checked compression cold (like -20c in my unheated garage) which was roughly 118 mag side and 121 pto side, at 1900ft elevation.

I read that the reeds go bad often which can cause this issue...what do you guys think? Sled runs fine other than the idle. Cause I adjust the idle screw a tiny bit without having to mess with the tps?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Mine was doing the same thing. Turns out the top end was just about to go. I had my compression checked and it was fine. 4 miles later the engine went out. Just like what I heard, a compression check doesn't tell the whole story.

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
Went riding today. When I started the sled cold it did the idle thing, had to keep bliping the throttle to keep it from dying. Once I got riding the idle was fine for the rest of the day steady 1600-1700 rpm :der:

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Idle

My 13 pro is doing the same thing idles cold for a min then dies runs great all day, idles sometimes and sometimes not at all, started this when I started it up first thing this year it has done it ever since, I have been threw it top to bottom found nothing replaced reeds, temp sensor and now thinking about tps sensor it's dead on spec and has never changed but not sure what else to do with it

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
I wait for my motor to blow every time I ride it haha I still have warranty until september so maybe I should just ride it like it is. If it aint broke dont fix it i guess :noidea: It's only really a nuisance when i start it up cold, doesn't do it much once i get riding. Im thinking if i ask the shop to fix it i will have to shell out some $$$

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Sounds like classic reeds to me. I wouldn't keep riding it until you got a visual on the reeds and/or pistons.

S
Jan 7, 2015
My 13 Pro did the same thing, cleared up after 5 minutes, made it 1.4 miles down the trail then seized, stock motor, 2500 miles, put RK Tek direct replacement pistons in 400 miles ago so it wouldnt seize, waste of $400

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
For what its worth, I got the sled out of the shop today and they adjusted the TPS and it idles fine now. 6600km+ on the sled now, too bad I had to pay for the adjustment as warranty doesnt cover it

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Thanx for posting. Always nice to see the end if your doing a search.

Oh, and by the way, don't you read the internet? Your way past your time for a new motor on this POS. What's up with that??

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
Thanx for posting. Always nice to see the end if your doing a search.

Oh, and by the way, don't you read the internet? Your way past your time for a new motor on this POS. What's up with that??

Oh, I know haha im really surprised is hasn't blown up yet. Still riding it because I have warranty until september. If it makes it the next couple of months until the snow is gone then I want to get some rk-tek pistons.

And Summitstef, there is a set screw to adjust idle for the throttle bodies but as far as I know it should not be messed with because it can screw with the tps. I believe the tps adjustment method includes adjusting the set screw,tps sensor AND throttle cable. I just let the shop deal with it. Sled runs better now and picked up a few rpm. My tps wasn't adjusted since I bought the sled new.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I had similar problems on a 2014 sled with 1200 miles. it started idling low to the point when it shut off, and it became worse and worse. I did not check compression, after reading this forum I figured this is tps. Went to the dealer who fixed it but when asked what was the fix the tech said that he did not touch tps and that he messed with some screw (this is a quote), he did not want to explain what was done exactly... anybody might have an idea what screw he was talking about?

I gave it a thought and I hope he did not mean the screw on the throttle cable...

Last edited:
M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
I had similar problems on a 2014 sled with 1200 miles. it started idling low to the point when it shut off, and it became worse and worse. I did not check compression, after reading this forum I figured this is tps. Went to the dealer who fixed it but when asked what was the fix the tech said that he did not touch tps and that he messed with some screw (this is a quote), he did not want to explain what was done exactly... anybody might have an idea what screw he was talking about?

I gave it a thought and I hope he did not mean the screw on the throttle cable...

If the tps base setting was correct, then perhaps the idle setting was off and all he had to do was adjust that. Though, it's not something you simply 'mess with'.

C
Dec 24, 2014
On the other hand... didn't touch the tps? Wouldn't checking the proper setting be touching it? Not needing adjustment, in spec, made a different adjustment, that type of language would make me feel better:)

Throttle cables do stretch with use and you do want to keep up on the flipper freeplay using the screw adjuster in the cable.

I do agree that the tps could have checked out and only the throttle plates needed adjustment via the screw on the linkage.

I can tell something is off on mine. Just a touch of thumb smooth's the idle right out. Let it set and the idle falls, seems rich and loading up, which is the good side of misadjusted I guess. I have the dealer checking to see if Poo will cover the adjustment under warranty for me.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
I'm having this same issue. Gonna change the Fuel Filter (15XX miles on it), put in new plugs, and take it to mechanic to determine if TPS needs to be adjusted. I wanna stay away from the reeds until I try other easier maintenance first. Need a new fuel filter anyway... probably should clean the exhaust valves as well, which means getting new gaskets, which will lead to doing other maintenance stuff.

I'll report back once the changes have been made.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
Low idle problem solved on my 13 Pro. I had the TPS adjusted from .92 to .947 (Polaris Spec is .93 - .95), so I am on the high side. I believe this fixed the problem. I also had the throttle bodies cleaned, which may have helped a little, but I think the TPS adjustment made the difference with the idle. Now the sled starts 1st or 2nd pull every time and jumps right up to 1800 RPM instead of floundering around between 1000 - 1300.

Premium Features