• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chipping on '15 rails

Duff

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Wheaton, MN
Anyone else having the finish chip off on their factory rails? All the little yellow spots are chips in the picture, 1 trip on the sled, rode for 5 days, trailered from MN to the big horns on an open 2 place trailer.

Picture of rails

Last edited:

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Mine started chipping on the first ride and I bent them on the second ride. Replaced with anodized Ice Age bombers. The yellow is the zinc primer underneath, the rails were painted NOT powdercoated, that is why they chip so easy.

muskiedoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2008
www.icemansmuskieguideservice.com
Mine have chipped too. Fortunately for me my rails are black and a black sharpie covers up the chips nicely. I only touch them up when sitting on the stand in my garage for my buddies to admire. Otherwise the snow keeps them covered and then I don't care.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
mine are chipped as well are rear arms and spring on shocks. rocks being kicked up from scratchers. no big deal. Little touch up paint before selling.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I always wonder who the idiot was who decided painting or power coating rails was a good idea. They always chip and end up looking like crap!!!

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I always wonder who the idiot was who decided painting or power coating rails was a good idea. They always chip and end up looking like crap!!!

It would not be much leap of faith to imagine that the paint is used instead of anodize because it makes no difference to the average buyer and the paint process is cheaper.

I think a large swath of SnoWest Forum users are not average buyers.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the paint does shed snow better then anodize but is far more prone to flaking. Also, the cost, even at an industrial level to do rails anodized vs paint is about 5x the cost. soo thats why its done.

Cant powder POO rails being a tempered material the strength is reduced by the process. So between paint and ano, paint is the obvious winner due to $$ side of things. Also for anything besides black anodize is a lot more prone to sun fading if a guy leaves his sled out on an open trailer or beside the house. so the red and orange will look nowhere near as nice after even a few weeks of bright sun reflecting off the snow.

snowpromod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Northeast Ohio
The paint sucks.....this is after one ride!

6f04aa41f245a677fceaadec85a2e5c0.jpg

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Its the lack of snow we are riding in this year. Mine did it last year in Oct and Nov. Just think of that nasty crap that those scratchers are bringing up into your skid: pebbles, ice, dirt, branches, etc.

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB
Isn't there concerns that powder coating rails will weaken them because of the cure temperature? That could be a reason to paint. Although $ is likely what it comes down to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
I thought the Polaris powdercoats there rails and not paints them. also run a set of stock powdercoated rails with no breaks when you powdercoat aluminum you really need to watch the oven temps really close to do them rite without damaging the aluminum

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
I thought the Polaris powdercoats there rails and not paints them. also run a set of stock powdercoated rails with no breaks when you powdercoat aluminum you really need to watch the oven temps really close to do them rite without damaging the aluminum
OEM PI rails are painted

The temps required to powder rails WILL affect the temper. If your careful the damage is minimal, but aside from very specialized low temp powders, which are basically non existant aside from specialized industrial uses, you WILL reduce the strength by powdering them.

This is why we anodize, paint is cheaper for production, but in low volumes not as much. The anodizing finish creates a nicer looking finished part. It enhances the look of a nice machined part instead of covering it up.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
We ride in a lot of marginal snow conditions and I like to have as much snow stuck to my rails as possible to melt and give the hyfax's a little lube;)

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Mine flaked bad on my 14' in a short time. Disgraceful. Had them powdercoated and they are holding up great. I just add an additional cross brace in the middle of the rail to strengthen them. I haven't bent a rail on any pro since 2011. All had been powdercoated too.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Mine flaked bad on my 14' in a short time. Disgraceful. Had them powdercoated and they are holding up great. I just add an additional cross brace in the middle of the rail to strengthen them. I haven't bent a rail on any pro since 2011. All had been powdercoated too.
Negative reinforcement at its best. lol. Reality is most guys wont have issues with it, but it does affect the strength. They don't just turn to butter, but once you see a powdered rail bend compare to a stock unit you will understand.

As for the OP's sled. You can see the rear scissor is also pretty hammered. Gravel/sand/etc getting tossed around in the skid especially if you leave your scratchers down in crappy snow/dirt will make a mess of things quickly. powder, paint or anodized.

NytroNorm

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Stoon, SK
Ski Doo rattle cans better?

haha they must.

I honestly don't care how they get it on there whether it be coated, painted or anodized, as long as it stays on. I don't care about the ice build up either, I'm just tired of ****ty looking bare aluminium.

Premium Features