• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I spend $$$ on my Viper???

D
Jan 3, 2008
Whitecourt, AB
I've got an 03 (late 02) mountian Viper with a 144" and so far just risers and a can. I like the sled and I'm growing a little attached:rolleyes: but I keep seeing all these new lighter sleds on the hill and I wonder if spending the money to mod it is worth it:confused:. I'm kinda liking the idea of having something that you don't see much.:cool:

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
the guy i ride with has bender pips mpi tunnel and trailing arms with a 151 inch track on his 04 and it is so ezay to throw around i like it better than the 08 xp i rode so you just hafe to ask your self what you want more a custom sled with some work in to it or a new sled.. thats my 2 cents. i will try to get pics if we ride this weekend.:beer;:beer;:)

A

absoluteapex

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie,ab.
money talks,if you want a boosted 4 great if funds ain't there have fun riding what you got,don't underestimate clutch,gearing,engine work such as porting or a proper tuned exhaust,hell just go riding they were reliable when us guys rode the 2,s.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
I ran on 03 mtn viper put a tunnell on it light seat, hood trailing arms and a bender 835(186 hp) and a 45 shot of nos, also a 156" x 16 wide camo extreme had tons of fun for 5 years this year went to the nytro with all the goodies viper was fun but this is a whole different animal 245 at elevation and a 4-stroke for reliability:D

C

cheddar brawt

Dec 25, 2007
So you need to figure out your budget. you could probally do the 835 kit and a longer track with all the goodies for around 4000.00. You could buy a new nitro for 9000.00 add a turbo and all the clutching etc, another 5000- 7000. i would really like a nitro also, I ride a 750cc mm and i love it.... Made the decision last year to do it up also spent around 3500.00-4000.00. It was worth it for me!!! Ill probally ride it two more years and then t-nytro! Oh, and i will keep the mountain max when i get my new sled. Theres a few guys on here that say, i had a 835 viper, sure miss it, wish i had kept for a back up!

Since it is a older sled, watch the swapmeet, totally yamaha.com, and ebay for a good deal on parts. GOOD LUCK
C.B.

P
Nov 26, 2007
MNT Viper Mods

I bought a 2004 MNT Viper (all done up-I did not have to do a thing) in September. CPR Simmons pipes, Boysen reeds, Peak Head, Lowell Horning -porting (crankcase and cylinders and open combustion chambers, with balanced/windowed and trimmed pistons and exhaust flanges/ reed assembly mods, with 2 sets of domes for Peak Head machined to match porting), 156"x2" ported track, SLP Flo Rites, Yamaha Forced Air Induction kit. The sled had NOS installed, but I had the previous owner remove it and put the ATAAC system back on. I dont need the NOS.

Since I got it I had the pipes ceramic coated, installed Polaris P-85 Primary and a Shockwave Secondary adjustable helix, installed a new Ohlin shock in the far rear (powder coated the yellow spring to Liquid Silver Metallic), Sportech -Blue Chrome hand guards. I may install a reverse (still debating) but I think I want the MNT APEX handlebar.

I am very happy with the sled. I rode a few stock mnt vipers in 2003(was not happy at all) and then rode one with pipes the following year (impressed) as I had a ZRT 800MC at the time, but my MNT VIPER is a sweet riding sled. Pulls hard, rides like its on air. I will be lightening up the front end next season or before the end of this year and may even try a new rear suspension (M-10WS or an Ezeryde). I will install new Billet Idler wheels (8" probably) with the Yamaha insignia anodized blue also.

Here are a few "BEFORE PICS" and I will post new pics later with the updates I did.

x0psvr.jpg

2evcjdt.jpg

Y
Jan 2, 2002
Keenesburg, Co.
Here is the 03 I built:
Bender 835
Bender triples
MPI 151 tunnel
156 x 2-1/2 x 16 Camo Extreme
RMK skid
MPI Billet spindles
MPI rad rods and tie rods
MPI trailing arms
ROX 5"
Awesome sled, sold to Mountain Boy on here so I could buy mu Nytro. This Viper would wipe the floor with the Nytro but the Nytro handles mucho better.
Not worth it imo, buy new iron.

MOD.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I don't think that there's many sleds today that are more reliable then a mountain max or viper. I'd love to see on done up with all the latest mods:timbersled, 162,tall risor, light weight front end etc

I would say your half right.

I had both a modded out Max and Viper. The max even had a 45hp shot added to it. NEVER blew up the mountain max but I did blow up the viper 5 times in two years. That viper engine design is complete crap. Bad cooling and ungly timing curve. They run great with pipes and heads when dialed in just right, Then the temp drops 20-30* and you burn down the Mag side. I dont miss that sled for a second and I would buy back my "old" mountain max no questions asked. That was a fun sled. Eric

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I've had my 02 since new. Over the years I added SLP pipes, porting, better skis, bunch of light weight stuff (-40 pounds), and a 16" 136" track.
That triple just keeps singing along, man I love that sound! Vipers respond really well to mods! I off-set the cost of mods by selling the stock parts, such as trailing arms, rear skid, etc.
Main draw back with the older chasis, is the ride/handling isn't as good as the newer rides. Something you'll notice on rough terrain.
As much as I like the Viper, I'd have to admit that I probably would have bought a Nytro if they didn't cost $10,000!

D
Jan 3, 2008
Whitecourt, AB
This Viper would wipe the floor with the Nytro but the Nytro handles mucho better.
Not worth it imo, buy new iron.[/QUOTE]

Here' the way I'm looking at it, for probably $12,000 CAN I could get a new Apex or Nytro stock. Then I'd have to dump probably another $8000 into it in mods to make me happy. Thats $20,000

Is a stock Apex or Nytro really going to be better than a Viper with $6-8,000
worth of mods in it?

Because I'm pretty sure If I got A new sled it's gonna have to be boosted and I know thats going to get $$$$$$$ fast.:cool:

Is the handling really that improved in 5 years?

Premium Features