• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2015 Yamaha Mountain Max???

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have to own one to figure out it needs a track, skid, front end, boost blah blah to work in the mountains? Just like my nytro and apex upgrade the shiet out of it to make it work.. Maybe you meant its a competive trail sled? lol

Hopefully the 15 viper or mountain max or whatever they call it is more or less out of the box mountain ready..

Was better in powder out of the box than the Nytro was/is. Now it has 38 inch front end and 153 ppowerclaw track and I spent less than 1k on upgrades. Ride one and learn.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
So that would be 50 new models ah!!. I would guess that would be 23 new matching apex trail sleds and 23 matching viper XTX's and a couple of utility sleds and maybe a 120 or 2. 50 models is an interesting term because it can mean 50 of the same new sled right. As far as the white tunnel is concerned isn't Yamaha known for doing different graphic packages on the same sleds and calling them new and improved. Kinda like they did on the Nytro

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
So that would be 50 new models ah!!. I would guess that would be 23 new matching apex trail sleds and 23 matching viper XTX's and a couple of utility sleds and maybe a 120 or 2. 50 models is an interesting term because it can mean 50 of the same new sled right. As far as the white tunnel is concerned isn't Yamaha known for doing different graphic packages on the same sleds and calling them new and improved. Kinda like they did on the Nytro

yah i beleave it is 25 mtn sleds 25 trail sleds something like 12 162 & 12 153 mtn sleds just don't see 2 diff mtn sleds.not sure why they didn't release a mtn viper last year if that's all they had planed for this year,just another step back for yammi if thats the case.:noidea:

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
And which model Viper do you own? :face-icon-small-con

LOL there is always at least one of these huh?

Rode a Viper on Sunday 3 inch 162 MC Express 190 turbo narrowed ski stance tunnel extension etc. That is the bare minimum that you need to do that sled to make it work and guess what they wanted 22k for it. Rode a 14 AC 1100 which is like 8k cheaper and was pretty much the same thing except for it had less turbo lag and straight up and down steering post which I thought made it handle better. Bottom line you need to sink at least 8-10K in a 14 viper to even have a chance of running with a 14 800. ****ty Deal but it's the way it is. Hopefully this Mountain Max is turboed out of the box and will run with the arctic cat 1100.

08nytromtxa

Dec 17, 2007
tisdale saskatchewan
Rode a Viper on Sunday 3 inch 162 MC Express 190 turbo narrowed ski stance tunnel extension etc. That is the bare minimum that you need to do that sled to make it work and guess what they wanted 22k for it. Rode a 14 AC 1100 which is like 8k cheaper and was pretty much the same thing except for it had less turbo lag and straight up and down steering post which I thought made it handle better. Bottom line you need to sink at least 8-10K in a 14 viper to even have a chance of running with a 14 800. ****ty Deal but it's the way it is. Hopefully this Mountain Max is turboed out of the box and will run with the arctic cat 1100.

Even if it was turboed out of the box everyone would still want more power, longer track, different skid, better shocks. Let's face it nothing stock is ever going to be good enough for those who want better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

I have a 2014 M8 and a 2014 Viper with narrowed front and 153 powerclaw. Only diff between the two whether it be trails or deep powder is the Viper is down on top end power to the Cat. The thought that a top heavy 1100 Cat can handle with the M8 or Viper is really amusing to me. But hey, I have both and ride them in same places but what do I know? We should take your "opinion" over somebody who rides both.:face-icon-small-con

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
I have a 2014 M8 and a 2014 Viper with narrowed front and 153 powerclaw. Only diff between the two whether it be trails or deep powder is the Viper is down on top end power to the Cat. The thought that a top heavy 1100 Cat can handle with the M8 or Viper is really amusing to me. But hey, I have both and ride them in same places but what do I know? We should take your "opinion" over somebody who rides both.:face-icon-small-con

Anybody that rides a 800 to its full potential is going to not be all that happy with a stock Viper stretched out to a 153. It's simple math a viper is heavier and has less hp then a 800. My stock pro has a better power to whieght ratio. To get back that loss of top end power you need to turbo it add a 163. Inch track tunnel extension etc. which makes it heavier which costs money well over 20k. If you just do a 190hp kit you might as well save your self 6 to 8k and buy a 1100 cat. At the end of the day to turbo a viper and stretch it out so it will beat a 800 is going to cost you all most 10k.

But I see the potential of the viper hopefully in 15 it will be long tracked and turboed at that point my argument will be void.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
In my experience when I compare an apple to an orange. Nothing ever seems to match up no matter the direction I slice it. Once again this thread seems to be comparing a 600 class sled to an 800 class sled. Just because the viper has a 1054 cc motor in it. It is still rated a 600 class sled correct?? Would you not have to throw money at a 600 pro to be on the level of an 800 pro. It's not that far of a reach then to assume you would have to throw money at the viper. The amount of money you throw at it is directly proportional to the performance you get out of it. Drifter made a valid point in that why would throw more money at a sled when you can buy a capable stock sled. Stingray. Did you not put around $2000 into your viper with track and front end to get it to work better? I I wonder if you would find the stock AC1100 162 Comparable in performance to your viper out of the box and you would save money in the process. Right. I am not trying to disprove your opinion of the performance of your new viper with the mods you did. I am sure it works well Let stop trying to compare a modified sled to a stock sled and also stay within the class of sled we are talking about Just my opinion though. I would give just about anything for either one and get rid of my nytro. I like it but still to have new technology would be great

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
In my experience when I compare an apple to an orange. Nothing ever seems to match up no matter the direction I slice it. Once again this thread seems to be comparing a 600 class sled to an 800 class sled. Just because the viper has a 1054 cc motor in it. It is still rated a 600 class sled correct?? Would you not have to throw money at a 600 pro to be on the level of an 800 pro. It's not that far of a reach then to assume you would have to throw money at the viper. The amount of money you throw at it is directly proportional to the performance you get out of it. Drifter made a valid point in that why would throw more money at a sled when you can buy a capable stock sled. Stingray. Did you not put around $2000 into your viper with track and front end to get it to work better? I I wonder if you would find the stock AC1100 162 Comparable in performance to your viper out of the box and you would save money in the process. Right. I am not trying to disprove your opinion of the performance of your new viper with the mods you did. I am sure it works well Let stop trying to compare a modified sled to a stock sled and also stay within the class of sled we are talking about Just my opinion though. I would give just about anything for either one and get rid of my nytro. I like it but still to have new technology would be great

Bought a take off powerclaw track for 350.00. Front end is kit for 2012 Cat new in box for 200.00. Racinstation shorten fox floats for under 200.00. Rail extension 155.00. No tunnel extension needed. So under 1k I spent.

Didn't want to wait for Mountain Max so bought it and changed it. It is the girlfriends sled but I have plans to trade in my 2014 M8 on new Mountain Max....gotta have that instant torque in the trees. Hindle already makes a pipe/can combo to put it at 150hp and MASSIVE torque (you 4 stoke guys know what I mean about torque) Of course if no torque and crappy ride is your bag we could get a Polaris Pro like drifter but I will pass.

You cannot compare a Nytro to new Viper anymore than you can compare a RX1 to a Phazer. (not that you did just sayin)If no Vipers near you ride a 2014 M8 they ride exactly alike to me. Oh, 22 pounds heavier is my Viper vs the 2014 M8, and with gas tank under seat I challenge anybody to feel the weight difference when riding. Real riding not forum riding.............lol

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
That's good news. Don't get me wrong, I like light weight as much as the next guy, but I do miss the torque of my four-stroke, so yes, I know what you mean. I know it's not an 800 and I don't expect it to be. But there's just something about a four-stroke that if you've never spent some time on one, you just wouldn't understand. Thanks for the comparison.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
To me it's like saying.... I REALLY love the hot skinny girl with big boobs but I'm settling for the FAT girl cause of her or*l "skills".
I DON'T think it's too much to ask for a REAL mountain sled that we don't have 4-10k extra into just to go where the other 3 sled makers go out of the box. It's getting really old really fast.

Last edited:

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I rode the prototype Nytro in spring '07 and was amazed. My sled then was an '05 Rev 800, and the Nytro felt better in every aspect. I bought one that fall, traded in my Rev for it. I was INCREDIBLY disappointed with the production model as compared to the prototype I rode earlier. The power was down, the suspension sucked royally (I remember getting buried in the flats once when nobody else in my group did), etc etc. Once I spent over $2k on a Timbersled skid and Polaris 5.1 track, and clutching mods, the second season was a LOT better....I rarely got stuck and was happy riding it, until I rode my friends' sleds. I now own a '12 Pro RMK and aside from shocks (I'm 250# with gear) it's 100% stock, and I absolutely love it. I love Yamaha build quality, but until they produce a "production" mountain sled that performs out of the box, they'll not be getting my money again.

I was scared to death of going over 50 mph on the trails with that Nytro, such a twitchy front end and top heavy feel. I put 1100 miles on it and found that my friends were hesitant to ride with me the first year, always having to dig me out with that heavy sled. 2nd year was better, but I was worn out after a day of riding. Steep sidehilling was a gamble, because once it started to lean downhill it was over.

I'd love to see Yamaha come out with a laid down 4s motor to keep the weight low, improve the oil tank reservoir so that you don't lose all your oil if you find yourself inverted, lighten up the chassis and build a powerplant that actually can compete with the 800 2s, without boost. Or, and this is really reaching, develop an 800 2s motor with their DI technology in a competitive chassis........I know, never gonna happen, but I can dream!

Until then, it's 2 strokes for me, which means anything but Yamaha.....I lost 2 good years of riding and thousands of $ on that Nytro......

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
To me it's like saying.... I REALLY love the hot skinny girl with big boobs but I'm settling for the FAT girl cause of her or*l "skills".
I DON'T think it's too much to ask for a REAL mountain sled that we don't have 4-10k extra into just to go where the other 3 sled makers go out of the box. It's getting really old really fast.

It's been that way for 20 years and it's NOW getting old?

Sent from my GT-I8260L using Tapatalk

P

peterg

Dec 21, 2010
Watrous Sk.
dissapointment again?

I've rode Yamaha for a long time now, if they don't come out with a new lightweight sled tomorrow, my wish is something around 510 lbs and factory turbo, OR I'm snow checking a new Free Ride!

Premium Features