• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted turbo not circulating turbo oil?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Simply will not circulate the oil. Checked all the lines, blew them out, there was a little milking/grey looking oil fld that came out, checked turbo, blew it out from the bottom to make sure there was no obstruction, but still nothing?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
it takes a very long time for the oil to purge all the air out, i used a oil hand pump on the turbo oil tank side to push it through......other then that, its gonna take a long time, much longer then i ever imagined....understand, this pump only puts out a single drop of oil every 4-6 secs:beer;

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
it takes a very long time for the oil to purge all the air out, i used a oil hand pump on the turbo oil tank side to push it through......other then that, its gonna take a long time, much longer then i ever imagined....understand, this pump only puts out a single drop of oil every 4-6 secs:beer;

WOW, a drop every few seconds eh? I would have thought it was more of a constant flow like it is on my 900 mitsubishi turbo. Thanks for that bit of info.

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
I would check your oil pump also,I've heard of a few that the pump drive failed.I know when I took mine off it was full of brass filings,telling me it was on its way out.Mine was on a 07' though.As far as oiling the turbo,it doesn't take much oil to lub it,to much oil can take out or damage the seal.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
WOW, a drop every few seconds eh? I would have thought it was more of a constant flow like it is on my 900 mitsubishi turbo. Thanks for that bit of info.

Ball bearing vs sleeve bearing

It takes about 20lbs+ of oil pressure for a sleeve bearing turbo to survive, the garrett BB turbos only need basically the presence of oil! I seen some gravity fed setups before on em!!!

You need oil, just not very much pressure behind em!

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I run the OVS pump and it has about 10inches of clear hose on the feed so I can varify flow ant it fills the hose3/8 in about 5 seconds pulsing!!!!!! if its only one drop then mines an overacheiver of a pump!!!!!!!

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Simply will not circulate the oil. Checked all the lines, blew them out, there was a little milking/grey looking oil fld that came out, checked turbo, blew it out from the bottom to make sure there was no obstruction, but still nothing?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Is this a new Twisted turbo, or at least new to you and supplying oil via the stock oil pump? If so, as stated it takes quite a while to prime all the way to the turbo. I put a socket on the impeller bolt to keep it from turning while I ran the motor, priming the oil lines....took at least 5 minutes. With oil pump running wide open, mine flows about 1 drop every second. That is why it is important to use the one way check valves so the lines stay primed.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I run the OVS pump and it has about 10inches of clear hose on the feed so I can varify flow ant it fills the hose3/8 in about 5 seconds pulsing!!!!!! if its only one drop then mines an overacheiver of a pump!!!!!!!

hold on cowboy, the OVS kit you have is running an electrical pump (dont worry, its fine)....twisted removes the stock oil injection system and the engine driven oil pump is now used for the turbo.....ive got about 300 miles on my twisted kit and have zero oil leaking, nothing, nota, loving it:beer;

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Is this a new Twisted turbo, or at least new to you and supplying oil via the stock oil pump? If so, as stated it takes quite a while to prime all the way to the turbo. I put a socket on the impeller bolt to keep it from turning while I ran the motor, priming the oil lines....took at least 5 minutes. With oil pump running wide open, mine flows about 1 drop every second. That is why it is important to use the one way check valves so the lines stay primed.

other things to remember:
-cat seems to change thes oil pumps every year, the ports might be different or whatever else
- also the M1000 should flow a tad more oil (i think) and i have an M8

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
other things to remember:
-cat seems to change thes oil pumps every year, the ports might be different or whatever else
- also the M1000 should flow a tad more oil (i think) and i have an M8

Tiss true. Good points. Bottom line, it appears these ball bearing Garretts don't need that much oil to live.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
is the m8 and m1000 pump the same i have a brand new 1000 pump that i dont need i just used one gasket off it i was gonna sell it but if it fits a m8 maybe ill keep it

Premium Features