• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New A-arms/shocks

B
Jan 9, 2013
So last weekend I must have crashed a bit harder than I thought. Went to look at the sled today, and its gonna need new shocks/a-arms.
Sled is an 11 pro...currently has stock junk for suspension. Motor is stock except for pipe & can. Just planning on doing the front right now, but track is a 155 & has a VE boondock pro bumper kit. What would you go with?

Im 5'9" and about 145 lbs, 99.9% of the time is mountain boondocking/trees/deep snow.

Thanks in advance.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm running the Timbersled SRA (Stock Replacement Arms) on my sled... To me... nice and light... cromoly ... stronger than stock...and bolts right in. ..The price is right as well.

They will probably be having a spring promotion sale soon as well.

I'm also a big fan of the Fox FloatIII-EVOL shocks with the Kashima-coating... I have great control over the spring rate... excellent valving with the new-generation Bleed-shim pistons and excellent air-spring adjustments that the EVOL chamber offers. A very refined shock... night and day diff from a float only 3 years ago.

The stock shocks, if yours are not completely trashed can be much improved on a budget with some good valving and better, multi-rate, springs from Z-Broz or others.

Last edited:
B
Jan 9, 2013
One of my shocks has a 20 degree bent in it, so im assuming its trashed. I had been looking at the float 2, as well as exit shocks. Would love to lighten this thing up as well. Prob gonna order todays, so I can have everything ready to go by May 1st.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
You can get the shaft replaced for cheap on the WE shock, and I just purchased a set of zbroz arms after trashing one side of mine. I like their design of high clearance.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I'm running the Timbersled SRA (Stock Replacement Arms) on my sled... To me... nice and light... cromoly ... stronger than stock...and bolts right in. ..The price is right as well.

They will probably be having a spring promotion sale soon as well.

I'm also a big fan of the Fox FloatIII-EVOL shocks with the Kashima-coating... I have great control over the spring rate... excellent valving with the new-generation Bleed-shim pistons and excellent air-spring adjustments that the EVOL chamber offers. A very refined shock... night and day diff from a float only 3 years ago. .....

Does anyone know if the new "un-clocked" evol chambers on the Float 3 Evol and EVOL R's allow clearance for use free of interference with the Timbersled SRA's or anybody's 36" kits with the sway bar installed? Can they be installed evol chamber down to protect them like the older Evols? and still be able to adjust the rebound knob on the R's? There's a few questions in there, Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
B
Jan 9, 2013
Great info guys, I'm going to make a decision and order tomorrow. Right now i'm leaning towards the Z-bros 36" kit and modifying my stock shocks. Also been considering the fox floats for the weight reduction....all input is appreciated!

Thank you,

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I have alt impact 36" arms with elka stage 5 shocks, these shocks a step above all the others that I own which include raptor, exit x1 and fox 3 evols.
rides like a dream... the faster you go the better they are. Also they are very predictable when side hilling and going over obstacles.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Does anyone know if the new "un-clocked" evol chambers on the Float 3 Evol and EVOL R's allow clearance for use free of interference with the Timbersled SRA's or anybody's 36" kits with the sway bar installed? Can they be installed evol chamber down to protect them like the older Evols? and still be able to adjust the rebound knob on the R's? There's a few questions in there, Thanks in advance.

It is my understanding that the Unclocked EVOL chambers on the R's and X's do not fit the sleds with the the swaybar installed. The Rebound adjuster knob hits the bulkhead so the adjuster/EVOL must be mounted to the a-arm and the chamber hits the swaybar as you've said.

Timbersled had a special shock made that is a FLOAT3-EVOL-Kashima that is non adjustable and you can mount it with the EVOL on the bulkhead position rather than the A-arm and still run the swaybar...Some other shops have begun to offer this now that the problem is know. This does not have the rebound adjustment. (actually the 'rebound' adjustment is a 'compliance' {or 'stiffness'} adjuster as it affects the stiffness in both rebound and compression).

picture.php

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
That's the way I suspected the fitment issues were... Makes a guy who prefers to run the sway bar think. I'm not sure the Evol chambers would do very well for me sticking out in the open. (somehow managed to scrape even the stock shock?) Had the older version Evol R's and loved them... Guess it's time to try something else. Also would be cool to get shocks compatible with both stock and 36" a arms too.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
For 90% of FLOAT-R owners... I see them set the "stiffness" adjuster once... and leave it that way.

It is an expensive feature that many dont use... and now, you dont have to order the "R" model to get the features/benefits of the EVOL chamber...

The "non-R" FLOAT3-EVOL's can be run with the EVOL chamber mounted to the lower position and protected by the Arms/spindle.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The burandt shock is a evol r . I know he runs a 36 in stance with a sway bar.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I'd be interested in seeing photos of that ak.

Are you sure it was not last years EVOL models (different) or the ones in the custom Turbo/Ti sled with the Alt Impact arms?

According to Lars Matheny at Fox... Burandt's EVOL-bearing-caps are the same as all the others EVOL-R's with the reservoir "clocked" directly behind the shock... and not like the previous years.

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
It is my understanding that the Unclocked EVOL chambers on the R's and X's do not fit the sleds with the the swaybar installed. The Rebound adjuster knob hits the bulkhead so the adjuster/EVOL must be mounted to the a-arm and the chamber hits the swaybar as you've said.

Timbersled had a special shock made that is a FLOAT3-EVOL-Kashima that is non adjustable and you can mount it with the EVOL on the bulkhead position rather than the A-arm and still run the swaybar....

The "non-R" FLOAT3-EVOL's can be run with the EVOL chamber mounted to the lower position and protected by the Arms/spindle

You lost me here. The 3Evol R's and the 3Evol non-R's have the same clocking, no? Why does the R hit the sway bay and the non-R not with the evol chamber in the lower protected position? Is it possible you left out "if you remove the sway bar in the last quote" To me it seems you contradicted yourself... Or is there something else that is different with the T-sled non-R (beside the obvious lack of the adjuster knob)? I haven't been able to figure it out all season though, so I may be pretty thick on this one:face-icon-small-blu

Last edited:
Premium Features