• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle change... Finger Throttle??

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
I'm getting a pinched nerve in the shoulder and aching wrist on my throttle arm. Need to find a different way to use the throttle. I've been thinking about two options.

I either need find a smaller throttle block and lever.

or twist my throttle around to use my right index finger. ( I would use bark busters or something to protect the throttle from being hit by objects.

I don't like twist throttles, and I would think they ice up badly.

Any thoughts suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Lots of factors. The bars could be set too low/high, too far forward/back, the throttle angled too high/low, your own posture on the sled, etc. I have found bars/throttle set for standing might not work for sitting or the other way around. Finger operated throttles work but take a bit to get used to and limit movements as well - and the fact the under hard acceleration actually force the hand to squeeze the throttle harder.

I had similar issues and find that very small adjustments go along ways in relieving them. No set answers, you have to seek out the sweet spot. 550iq

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
Trying a left goldfinger? Going to delete the dead man switch and move the heater to the finger throttle. I'm a pretty serious mountain biker, and so I think I'm going to be able to get used to a finger throttle quickly, just wanted someone to type that it would work. Should come in next week, definitely excited to try it.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I read that Backcountryislife has his throttle spun around for finger use. Might try a PM and get some insight.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Dan treadway has his throttle as a finger throttle.

You could order a watercraft throttle too. Our waverunner is a finger throttle.

P
Dec 5, 2009
Hood
I cant believe someone doesn't make one that's slimmer and closer to the handle bars. my wifes hands are so small that her thumb/hand is sore after riding.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I'm getting a pinched nerve in the shoulder and aching wrist on my throttle arm. Need to find a different way to use the throttle. I've been thinking about two options.

I either need find a smaller throttle block and lever.

or twist my throttle around to use my right index finger. ( I would use bark busters or something to protect the throttle from being hit by objects.

I don't like twist throttles, and I would think they ice up badly.

Any thoughts suggestions?

Forward throttle is the only way to go, in my opinion, for several reasons. Been doing it for years, and the newer blocks make it even easier to do. Let me know if you need any info or pics.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Try this, go to walmart or some place like and get a set of the stupid looking springs with handles and put it buy your tv chair and when viewing squeeze it. It will build up yor strength, old racers trick

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
RMK 727, I believe that strength can be an issue. The first time I had a problem with this was last year after riding hard April 13th/14th in Revelstoke, I strained my tendons badly enough that my wrist swelled until I had to go to the hospital after my hand turned blue and was cold too the touch.

Now it gets aggravated on shorter rides, and has a lot more to do with position of my hand on the handle bar to control the throttle. I really think Polaris needs to reduce the size of their throttle especially since the new motors have a 35% throttle effort reduction.

Sounds like I'm not the only one with this issue.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Get it over with already guys! It's not permanent so give it a try. Here's how I position mine. Just make sure and move it towards center as far as possible to give you room to pin it if you have wide hands. Also make sure to move the throttle cable to the front of the bars, and slack the hand/ thumb warmer cables up so they don't rip out. They are kinda delicate so roll slow and slack through at the same time.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg

L
Jan 29, 2010
I had to cut about half an inch off of mine so I could use only my trigger finger, I cut all the way back to the heater element.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Tried turning around my throttle, but my hands are too large with the 2012 throttle block.

The stock 11-12 blocks were definitely too big with the Pro Tapers and I had to use an aftermarket block, but the 13 is just about right and no messing with the TSF so it's easier. I have pretty big hands and it works for me. Maybe swap that out and you're good to go.

O

ottawaair

Mar 2, 2012
I had to cut about half an inch off of mine so I could use only my trigger finger, I cut all the way back to the heater element.

This is exactly what I did. If left long, it always caught on my glove of my middle finger.
Cut it back to the element, and filed it out smooth.
I switched to finger throttle about 4 seasons ago, I love it.
The reason I switched was , 1, my thumb would get sore, and 2, I feel WAY more secure on the sled by being able to wrap my thumb and 3 fingers AROUND the grip.
With the thumb throttle, just your fingers are kinda hooked on the bars. Works ok for accelerating, but hard to hold on sudden stops, or thru the rough.

Plus, it keeps others from wanting to ride my sleds. My son has gotten used to this way also, and has a much easier time pulling the triple carbs.

I really wish somebody would make a trigger, like the goldfinger, for the throttle block. small, quick throw, heated. Please......

L
Jan 29, 2010
This is exactly what I did. If left long, it always caught on my glove of my middle finger.
Cut it back to the element, and filed it out smooth.
I switched to finger throttle about 4 seasons ago, I love it.
The reason I switched was , 1, my thumb would get sore, and 2, I feel WAY more secure on the sled by being able to wrap my thumb and 3 fingers AROUND the grip.
With the thumb throttle, just your fingers are kinda hooked on the bars. Works ok for accelerating, but hard to hold on sudden stops, or thru the rough.

Plus, it keeps others from wanting to ride my sleds. My son has gotten used to this way also, and has a much easier time pulling the triple carbs.

I really wish somebody would make a trigger, like the goldfinger, for the throttle block. small, quick throw, heated. Please......

that's spot on for me to, I just did not get how you can ride aggressive, big jumps and drops with half a hand on the bars, especially with the feedback you get from a snowmobile compared to about anything else.
I have been on the finger for I think 3 years now, flipped it pretty early on my 12 assault.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Try this, go to walmart or some place like and get a set of the stupid looking springs with handles and put it buy your tv chair and when viewing squeeze it. It will build up yor strength, old racers trick

I did this cause my hand use to cramp up so bad and i had to pull open my hand using the handle bars.

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
rode with the finger throttle for the first time yesterday. I went from hating it up the trail to liking it yesterday, had a few ergo issues, did some adjustments last night. Going out again right now. Taking the helmet cam, it was unreal deep.

Will update later!

Premium Features