• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding/Removing ES on PRO

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I've seen "take-off" kits on Ebay... without clutch and the seller is still asking top dollar for it.

The Dealer price on the full ES kit, with brand new primary clutch is right around $550 if you bargain with them a bit. (does not include the battery)

Take into account that you cannot bolt on an ES Ring gear to a non ES Primary clutch... and that "kit" is worth the price of a used starter and drive basically.

You CAN bolt a ring gear onto a non-ES primary. Once you do that though you need to have the clutch re-balanced. IMO that's why Polaris doesn't sell them separately. The mounting holes are there on the non-ES clutch - exact same part #. There's a shop in Denver that will balance your clutch for $50 plus $10 shipping.

I confess I haven't tried it - I was going to do it to my sister's clutch but then when we tore it apart we realized it had bigger problems so we just found a used clutch with the ring gear already on it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You CAN bolt a ring gear onto a non-ES primary. .... The mounting holes are there on the non-ES clutch - exact same part #.

In the spirit of getting accurate info out there... and not to "prove" anything.

No mounting holes on the back of a NON ES clutch...

The one shown here is a 2014 800 PRO RMK primary.. same on my 2013 and my buddies 2011 and 2012's.

The ES Primary has mounting boss's for the bolts and machined outer edge to accurately center the ring gear.

Not possible to mount a polaris ring gear to the non-es clutch.

attachment.php

ES PRIMARY
attachment.php

Primary.jpg ES PRIMARY.jpg

Last edited:
B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I would like to know the weight including battery as well. I snowchecked a sled and the dealer talked me into adding the electric start. Free and should help resale. It would be nice to have the option to just take out the battery and drop most of the 17 lbs mentioned above, then put the battery back in to sell.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would like to know the weight including battery as well. I snowchecked a sled and the dealer talked me into adding the electric start. Free and should help resale. It would be nice to have the option to just take out the battery and drop most of the 17 lbs mentioned above, then put the battery back in to sell.

Same here?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If you're only pulling the battery to save weight, and you can afford a new sled, get an Earth-X battery. About 20% of the weight of a lead-acid. You can even use it most of the time. If you're pulling the battery, pull the starter, too. You're stuck with the primary ring unless you swap primaries.

I've owned both now with the same suspension setup, with and without e-start, they do handle differently. E-start is more evenly balanced, side to side, but you can feel the added weight, subtle but real. Switching to an Earth-X takes some of the added weight away. FWIW. As noted in other posts, there are some situations, a right side fall line stuck that's we've all had, or have a few every year, that it's really handy. It does cut the fatigue down late in the day if you're yanking on the rope 30 times a day.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Due to the fact that the electrical system in the Pro-RMK resembles that of a 1984 Ford Tempo, I would highly recommend that everyone leave it on their sled. The benefits of having a battery for the electrical system and a ring gear on the clutch for the motor far exceed the overall weight penalty. BRP has been running a ring gear on their non E-Start 800's for the last 7-8 years.

There are reasons why Polaris is/has offered E-Start at no extra charge.

If having E-Start makes you feel any less of a man, then keep it and use your pull start. Your sled will thank you for keeping it.

Would someone elaborate on the benefits of the battery?

Have e-start on my 2015 and need to justify packing those pounds.

Premium Features