• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy pack/vest combo prototype--BCA ProVest

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
This is a prototype...but I can't wait to see more.
I find myself being really neutral about it, but I really want to see it in person. I want to know how it feels and how it disburses weight. I want to know if a heavily loaded pack will cause it to ride up into my throat. I want to know the capacity of the pack? Is it like the Throttle22, 25 or 32? Guessing more like the 22 or 25.

Linking these pics from FB, so I hope it works. (edit...FB pictures were deleted. I have no fresh links to pictures)

Accessories sold separately.

10514602_10152466586951324_4789249423429356517_n.jpg

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I currently wear a Tekvest and avy pack and this isDefinitely interesting?!?!?

I wonder what it weighs ????

I know Tekvest had an exteral vest style system (no avy pack) a while back, but I've never really seen them out on the snow.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Wonder if this is using the TekVest design, just looks too similar.

This will be a big seller next year. If they offer more than green trim...

Last edited:

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
That looks like an avy bag incorporated into a tekvest.
I love my tekvest and wear it religiously.
I hope that this comes out as I need an avy bag but this would get me both in one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
A combo tekvest and avy bag would be great! In the spring just shed shell and other layers and it would probably be fine. Just wear it over only a fleece, jersey or base layer. I'm wearing my tekvest and ABS pack no matter how warm anyway so this wouldn't be much different (depending on design, venting, etc.)

Looks like it needs an external probe pouch though and, if not already, a internal hydro pouch and hose exit and it would be golden.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
TekVest already has a backpack set up for one of their models.
But I never see too many people with it out here in the west. Maybe they sell the heck out of them, but I've actually only seen one ever.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
really stoked on this, worn a tek vest for the last 5 seasons and absolutely love it.

Got an ABS/Ortovox pack this year and like it as well, but if I could get one that was both. that would be awesome. Keeps things trim and close to your body. Makes the weight of the avy vest a lot less noticable.

Yes a tek vest is a little warm in the spring, wear a jersey as a base layer and shed the coat. or with the winter weve been having, just wear your jersey all the time and call it good! lol

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My only concern is having weight in the pack that pulls down, which causes the front to ride up into your neck.

There are other "pack vests" that do that.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
It looks like it has a hip belt which is where you should be carrying weight anyway, on your hips. The vest should act like the straps and just stabilize the load.
If you the hip belt is adjusted correctly it shouldn't be able to ride up in the front.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
If it has enough room to hold my big boy saw, first aid kit, fire starter supplies, down jacket and some emergency food I'm getting one.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
It does have a waste belt that sheds the load, the fit is very comfortable. The storage capacity of the one I tried on was similar to the float 18, maybe a touch bigger but not much. A very well built, comfortable vest made with breathable material. A cross between a PFD, TEK-VEST and AVY Bag. As I understand it they will still need to get it certified once the final design is reached.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
The story behind the Float vest.

When riding, I wear a transceiver and harness, a radio, protective vest and airbag pack. Layer after layer to get geared up. On warm days the protective vest can get hot, so I started wearing it over my jacket.

Why not have one item to put on that has everything? I threw the idea at BCA a few years ago and they did not have enough “hard data” on market demand for a unique new product like this. “Trust me on this one” was not enough and the idea was shelved.

Fast forward a couple of years and the BCA team moved ahead with the idea due their seriousness with the snowmobile market. We tested other airbag vests and noticed two problems we wanted to solve:
1. The vests felt great in the store, but would hang from your shoulders after riding for a short period of time. Tightening the vest so it would not bounce around would restrict breathing and comfort suffered.
2. Most of us wear waterproof/breathable jackets and we found the vests we tested would hold in heat and moisture. The vests also did not provide the protection we were use to.

The solution the team came up with was a breathable vest with a waist belt that took the weight off the shoulders.

Prototype came out and we tested it. I knew within 5 minutes that it was a “home run” as did everyone who tested it that day. It was a warm day of testing and no overheating. It’s the most comfortable airbag you will wear. One item to put on, has leg strap, beacon pocket, full protection, airbag pack with storage, accessory external shovel carry, tether d-ring, pocket for BC Link radio. It feels like you are just wearing a protective vest. Extensive testing continued in US and Canada and tweaks were made. Bret Rasmussen has been using it for over a month and loves it. Everyone who tries it, wants one. Price will be under $1000 with canister and weight is expected to be approximately 7.9 pounds.

So glad to see BCA bring this to market and their dedication to providing the best gear for snowmobilers.

Mike Duffy

Air_time24

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2009
Nelson BC
www.facebook.com
The Swiss army knife of backpacks . .

I've gotten to try on a prototype and can assure you they fit very nicely and are very adjustable. The Combo bag fits very well and is just as comfortable as my float 22 with no limitations in head motion with my helmet on. Nice to have the safety of the airbag and vest and not being limited by weight and comfort. I'll make sure I steal it for the day the next time.

Loktight

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2013
Longview, WA
The story behind the Float vest.

When riding, I wear a transceiver and harness, a radio, protective vest and airbag pack. Layer after layer to get geared up. On warm days the protective vest can get hot, so I started wearing it over my jacket.

Why not have one item to put on that has everything? I threw the idea at BCA a few years ago and they did not have enough “hard data” on market demand for a unique new product like this. “Trust me on this one” was not enough and the idea was shelved.

Fast forward a couple of years and the BCA team moved ahead with the idea due their seriousness with the snowmobile market. We tested other airbag vests and noticed two problems we wanted to solve:
1. The vests felt great in the store, but would hang from your shoulders after riding for a short period of time. Tightening the vest so it would not bounce around would restrict breathing and comfort suffered.
2. Most of us wear waterproof/breathable jackets and we found the vests we tested would hold in heat and moisture. The vests also did not provide the protection we were use to.

The solution the team came up with was a breathable vest with a waist belt that took the weight off the shoulders.

Prototype came out and we tested it. I knew within 5 minutes that it was a “home run” as did everyone who tested it that day. It was a warm day of testing and no overheating. It’s the most comfortable airbag you will wear. One item to put on, has leg strap, beacon pocket, full protection, airbag pack with storage, accessory external shovel carry, tether d-ring, pocket for BC Link radio. It feels like you are just wearing a protective vest. Extensive testing continued in US and Canada and tweaks were made. Bret Rasmussen has been using it for over a month and loves it. Everyone who tries it, wants one. Price will be under $1000 with canister and weight is expected to be approximately 7.9 pounds.

So glad to see BCA bring this to market and their dedication to providing the best gear for snowmobilers.

Mike Duffy

Mike,

First I would like to THANK YOU for being the CATALYST for this! It is EXACTLY what the mountain rider needs!!

I'm DEFINITELY down for one, but what about the Ladies? My gal is large-chested and would LOVE one of these if it was cut for a woman. Some of the problems she has with the pack is the sternum strap being too high and shoulder straps being cut too far towards the center of the chest.

Perhaps you could put a word in with your contact that it might be worth developing gender-specific versions. There is a serious lack of quality protective gear available for Women, they would OWN the female market, that's for sure!

Another feature that would be nice is if BCA offered COLOR options...even if it was just the contrast stitching and trim I think it would broaden the appeal. Most of us have significant investments in our riding wardrobe, makes sense to have these available to coordinate.

Just MHO....for what it's worth!

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
X2 on color options. Bright colors please. They stand out so much better in the backcountry. Until we all have to poach our favorite riding spots.

Premium Features