• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has run nitrous on a pro?

bb900

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2008
saskatchewan
Ran nitrous on my older prox2 for years with no problem, been having trouble finding a kit for my 13 pro. Would like to talk to some one who has and what kit they used. Run @ 1800' so turbos don't live to long down low plus want to run pmp gas.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I ran a Boss Nitrous kit that was set up by Dan at Indy Specialties on my Pro RMK this year, very happy with the kit and Dan has nice bottle mounts that bolt directly into the chassis. Install was straight forward and pretty simple if you have mechanical ability.

Overall the system performed well, the race gas tank is quite awesome. I loved being able to use the nitrous anywhere I wanted to without fear of engine damage. I did have an issue with a touchy button, if you jammed on it firmly, the nitrous would cut out. Dan told me to send it in when possible and he will replace the button. If I was gentle with the button, the system performed perfectly without cutting out.

L
Jan 29, 2010
my perception of NOS on our sleds was that because we are clutched to a certin RPM, that NOS just over revs the motor? how does this balance out?
To me the Sled has power everywhere I need it until I point up a monster hill, I would love the NOS option in the rare moment I ask for more from the sled.

Would you rather have the nos or another power add on? what shot of nos were you running?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
you use NO2 when you need gain RPM. It works good in short bursts when climbing to keep the RPM up and keep track speed up. I used a 45hp shot on a 700 triple back in the day when it was the latest and greatest sled mod. I ran it a coupe years and it really was a pain in the butt. It runs out, you have to regulate bottle temps to keep performance consistant, if you do a bunch of tree riding in deep snow and have a underhood mount your bottle temps will sky rocket! Then you have to take refill bottles along with you on trips. In the end its not worth it for me. Eric

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
There's a couple of people running nos on there pro rmk on the snow and mud website. Boss noss new setup is the one to run. Just keep it below the rev limiter while on the button.

bb900

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2008
saskatchewan
my perception of NOS on our sleds was that because we are clutched to a certin RPM, that NOS just over revs the motor? how does this balance out?
To me the Sled has power everywhere I need it until I point up a monster hill, I would love the NOS option in the rare moment I ask for more from the sled.

Would you rather have the nos or another power add on? what shot of nos were you running?

I ran a little taller gear with nos and a little heaver weights on my 800. It made it a little bit sluggish but on spray it was awesome ran a 2 1/2 pound bottle good for about 21 3 seconds blasts usually only needed it when someone needed to be put in there place. It was a lot of fun. I run all flatland and I'm setting up a 600 on 40 hp spray would outrun most larger sleds. I want to build a sleeper, it's got mirrors tall windshield luggage racks. For know slp pipe and nos for next year then 660 bigbore. I'd turbo it but don't want to run race gas.

bb900

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2008
saskatchewan
I ran a Boss Nitrous kit that was set up by Dan at Indy Specialties on my Pro RMK this year, very happy with the kit and Dan has nice bottle mounts that bolt directly into the chassis. Install was straight forward and pretty simple if you have mechanical ability.

Overall the system performed well, the race gas tank is quite awesome. I loved being able to use the nitrous anywhere I wanted to without fear of engine damage. I did have an issue with a touchy button, if you jammed on it firmly, the nitrous would cut out. Dan told me to send it in when possible and he will replace the button. If I was gentle with the button, the system performed perfectly without cutting out.

Would love to see pics of your setup

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Gets you out of sticky situations

Look at it as an "Escape Button"..

When your your tach RPM drops off on a climb or in a sticky situation.... use it to "Escape" ... short bursts to help out. Kind of a push-to-pass button.

There are lots of difficult situations that you need an extra boost to get out of.

No need to change clutching for this.

One of the problems with NOS in the past is that you had fill your gas tank with the proper Octane for the highest demand on NOS..when you are off the button you will have too high of octane which lowers your power overall.

But, with the current BOSS setup, the system has it's own small race gas bottle for when you are on the button... only boosting octane when you need it. Pretty cool system and I've heard good things about it.... similar to the good results that Angermanagment is posting above.
http://www.bossnoss.com/universal-snowmobile-system/

The PRO I was on last season with this system worked very well and the install was clean/simple.

Shown here with a JUMBO NOS bottle (black) for display/demo.
Shot at the Puyallup Snow Show.
The Actual NOS bottle is smaller.
The fuel bottle on the bottom is the size of an average water bottle or small camp-fuel bottle.

attachment.php

Boss.jpg

Last edited:

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
As the others have pointed out I too let my sled over rev when on the spray, it really seems to like it. As MH pointed out its a handy thing to have, if I start slowing down or encounter something on the hill that robs me of track speed on comes the spray and I'm able to recover that track speed and continue on my way rather than stick it or have to turn out.

On the Boss Noss set up, there is no need to regulate the bottle temps, as it is a venturi based system. It pulls the amount of fuel it needs for the volume of nitrous passing over it so it is self compensating for varying bottle temps/pressures. Sure if the bottle is stone cold my 50 shot might be a true 40 shot, I'm not too worried about it, this system is about as plug n play as you can get.

Dollar per dollar spent on mods, nitrous is a winner. The kits cost $800-1200 installed and are good for 30-100 hp. Nitrous is about $5 lb. I carry 50 lbs of nitrous for a 6 day trip. This year I used less than 10 lbs of nitrous on my 6 day trip. My "usage cost" for my 6 day trip was $80, $50 for nitrous and Race gas makes up the remaining $30. So if you look at it as $1,200 for the kit, and $200 cost in Race fuel & Nitrous per season, the HP per dollar spent is quite low in comparison to other power adders out there. I also like because the system is self contained it can be installed on ANY engine, Cat, Polaris, Doo Etec... doesn't matter.

Now I'm a sick individual so I will most likely be "stacking" additional mods to compliment the nitrous kit....

I can mange to get 2 days of riding on one 3lb bottle if I am careful with my usage. In heavy use situations, I just have 4-5 bottles and a 20lb transfer station at the cabin.... :)

I don't have any pics of my setup handy, here is a pic of Dans switchback that has the same nitrous kit installed.

Last edited:

bb900

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 27, 2008
saskatchewan
Talked to boss noss and Dan that will the setup I will be going with. Boss noss suggested going with meth injection instead of race gas. It cost less but you will use a little more. I am still set up with nos pump 20lb refilling station, It's cheap power, I used to get 21 seven shots out of a 2.5lb bottle I'd like to stuff a 4lb carbon fiber bottle in but with slp's huge can room will be tight. Ive got a lot more room on my 10, just need to relocate my HID box and antenna.

13 pro 1.jpg 13 pro.jpg 10 rush.jpg 10 rush 1.jpg

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nitrous? The 90's called they want there power adder back:face-icon-small-win

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
In addition to what BB900 said, think of the cost of a nitrous kit vs. a turbo?? Cost is a large barrier for most folks, $1200 for nitrous or $5,000 for a base turbo.... I know what more guys could justify to themselves.

I also like how the nitrous is instant. I can use it at low speed and have instant power once WOT and not worry about lag or run on when I get off the throttle.

Premium Features