• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real X3 reviews

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
With the current thread on the X3 / Pro combo growing and at times getting a little off track (no pun intended), I thought I would start a new one. With summer around the corner and plenty of garage time in the near future, this may a great way to get some new info, for potential buyers.

For this thread, instead of focussing on different combinations, prices, what to do and "potential positives and negatives" how about "real time reviews" from this last season? The previous thread has grown and has a lot of good info, so why not follow up with some real life experiences and focus just on that.

Basically which track you have, ported or non ported, performance gains, temps encountered, and any issues you may have encountered and other things you personally have experienced this last season with the X3.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I would think twice about this track boys. Myself, and Jesse Orourke(Boondockers movie) both put this track on at the beginning of the season and both HATED it! After our second trip be both removed them for the same reason. I sold the track and sure enough, the next owner sold it as well. It is NOT the second coming of Christ in my opinion (as well as the opinion of MANY others that have removed this track). The ONLY place I liked the track was in deep, bottomless snow....which only happens a few times a year. I found the track to push VERY bad and it took the "flickibility" out of the sled. It literally made the sled less fun to ride. It was harder to throw around, harder to turn on its side, and it was not as maneuverable. Whatever direction the sled was pointing, that's the direction it went. And boy did it feel heavy!!! People say, well, its only a few pounds heavier then this or that track...BUT...its moving A LOT more snow, and trust me, you can feel it. And please trust me when I say many people feel this way, but I honestly think a lot of folks are embarrassed to admit that they just spent $1200-1500 to put this track on, due to the hype, and try to justify how great it is. This track is a ONE DIMENSIONAL track, period, and that is for DEEP bottomless snow. Yes it gets on top of the snow, and yes it gets good traction, but I literally did not like riding my sled anymore with this track. And by all means, don't try and ride tight trees in technical terrain.....the boys on the stock tracks were killing us. Since then I have installed a Camo 2.5'' and have to say that I like this track more than any other track I have run. It does EVERYTHING well, and my sled is fun to ride again. Just some food for thought guys......the newest latest greatest, isn't always that :)

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I would think twice about this track boys. Myself, and Jesse Orourke(Boondockers movie) both put this track on at the beginning of the season and both HATED it! After our second trip be both removed them for the same reason. I sold the track and sure enough, the next owner sold it as well. It is NOT the second coming of Christ in my opinion (as well as the opinion of MANY others that have removed this track). The ONLY place I liked the track was in deep, bottomless snow....which only happens a few times a year. I found the track to push VERY bad and it took the "flickibility" out of the sled. It literally made the sled less fun to ride. It was harder to throw around, harder to turn on its side, and it was not as maneuverable. Whatever direction the sled was pointing, that's the direction it went. And boy did it feel heavy!!! People say, well, its only a few pounds heavier then this or that track...BUT...its moving A LOT more snow, and trust me, you can feel it. And please trust me when I say many people feel this way, but I honestly think a lot of folks are embarrassed to admit that they just spent $1200-1500 to put this track on, due to the hype, and try to justify how great it is. This track is a ONE DIMENSIONAL track, period, and that is for DEEP bottomless snow. Yes it gets on top of the snow, and yes it gets good traction, but I literally did not like riding my sled anymore with this track. And by all means, don't try and ride tight trees in technical terrain.....the boys on the stock tracks were killing us. Since then I have installed a Camo 2.5'' and have to say that I like this track more than any other track I have run. It does EVERYTHING well, and my sled is fun to ride again. Just some food for thought guys......the newest latest greatest, isn't always that :)

That is pretty much the EXACT opposite of my opinion. I'm riding a 156 though.. My sled is SOOO much more fun.

Flickability? Did you watch the video in the other thread? It's more flickable in my opinion. With the stock track I could BARELY throw hop-overs. Conditions had to be perfect. Now I can do them almost whenever I want.

I can get around in tighter trees better as well.

Maybe it's my suspension (KMOD) plus it's the 156 that's making the difference but I have the complete opposite opinion on how it performs.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've heard it both ways for this track.

Depends on the rider and the riding style.... and setup of course.

I agree with Anthothy... it is not the "swiss army knife" ... "do all" track... there are areas where it shines... and areas where it doesn't

I have one sitting in the shop still in it's box... I'll swap it next season when the snow gets deep and see how it works...

I have had the X3 on a PRO ... great traction... but it did push the sled around compared, side by side, with the same, but stock, sled... only difference was the track/drivers.

This is an amazing track for deep days...Consider it a specialized tool IMO.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
Ive noticed the 3" track was very touchy on suspension set-up for me. What works for me is the front track shock preload all the way loose and the rear track shock preload all the way as tight as you can get it.

Two rides with my suspension out of wack I was frustrated. I'd never been stuck so many times in one day. It trenched way bad! And there wasnt the in between where you could feel yourself digging down and turn out. It was go go go go then instant stuck.

After I adjusted, it was night and day difference. Regardless of others experiences my stock pro with a 3" was neck and neck with a cat 800 with a boondocker. The only time he would outclimb me was when there was a long run at the hill where he would gain the speed down low before the climb.

And to me it seems it doesn't do too bad in the other snow conditions. You cant expect a 3" track to do great on hard snow. It will go but it doesnt hook up like an assault track would.

There's alot of variables with having an X3 track. For most it wouldnt fit them. I dont hardly see a trail so it is great for where I ride.

Running a drop and roll chaincase
7 tooth drivers
Newer X3 162" non center port
Clutching kit which I feel is key with this set-up

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I'm running the 162" X3", none port, 7t avid, anti stab, solid snow flap. Mds or roosterbuilt clutching. Only one ride so far. But me and 4 others that rode my sled think its so much better then stock. Tune outs are so easy now. Side hill better. The only place that I don't like it is on the road to the mountains. Because it runs hot. This was in hard snow with 4" on top. We got 3' dump so ill be out this weekend to try it in some fresh pow!also I have Raptor shocks, so I have the rear shock at 10 5/8" , and front track shock loose.

Last edited:

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I ran a 3"x 156" x3 non ported all year long. I am running avid 8 tooth drivers with a cmx belt drive system and full kmod rear skid.

I love the track, the only time I don't really care for the track is on the ice hard snow days. Which luckily has only been one day so far this year. I also think skid setup plays a big part in how the track handles. It has my sled more fun in the trees and ditch banging. The hookup is excellent in the deep stuff and just as good as stock on the trail, (unless trail is ice ;) ). As far as flick ability I don't think it took anything away from the flick ability of the sled. I have guys that ride stock pros ride my sled ride mine and it never fails they have it on its side within the first 2 mins. It made it more responsive in my opinion and more predictable as far as side hilling and never washing out. It has excellent traction when you need it also. I will Probaby get a lot of flack for this but, IMO my opinion only. The timbersled rear skid makes the sled less flickable. Especially for the average rider. It was a night a day difference changing the timbersled out for the kmod! From cruising the trail to tree riding to steep hills.

Back to the track though., as long as you have more snowy days then icy days I wouldn't hesitate to run the track. And if set up right it doesn't trench much more than a stock track.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I'm not sure how a 3" is easier to throw around then a stock track. That's almost comical. We took two identical sleds, identical suspensions and the only differece was a 3" track a stock and EVERY single rider agreed the 3" was harder to ride and throw around...and these were all very good technical riders. But to each his own....can't make everyone happy :)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Any thoughts on the x3 vs the 3 inch extreme? I have a cut down extreme and was thinking about switching to the x3.
like the old 2 ply version? the x3 is quite a bit lighter.

with the 15x length tracks, and now this much massive tracking, things change up a lot. it will dig and move a LOT of snow in a hurry, if your skid isnt setup ideally, its going to dig holes. big and fast. if its setup right. dang. good times. we were out today in some wet clumpy powder and i loved it. i could just burp along and stop and start so well where the stock pro would just sort of slide out in the mushy stuff, the x3 grabbed and MOVED.

again, the 156 length is very touch on skid setup, for the 163 length ones and 174 thye just hookup so hard, and that length sled floats so good, just insane amounts of traction on ground speed is gained. it can be a bit of a pain with the bigger ones, low speed they want to lunge and not spin out and "set" the track into a sidehill. but such is the nature of such epic traction!

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
Stock sleds? How did you get two identical stock sleds with the same suspension both using 3" tracks. Did you run a 7 tooth driver on the stock sled with the stock track? If stock don't you have to run a 7 tooth driver making the approach angle a little different, that could affect how the sled handles. Might not have anything to do with the track itself. I have read on here how people don't like the drop and roll because it takes away the flickability of the pro.

I was only saying on my sled and with my suspension set up its way easier to throw my sled around then it is to throw my wife stock 13 with a stock track

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
this one had a ice age 5/8" D&R and 8 tooth drivers.

not apples to apples, but trying to do as best I can assesing what the track was affecting the most. and what is just differences in sled.

heck the one i was on was boosted as well ;)

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I put a non ported X3 w/ 7 tooth drivers on my turbo 1/2 way thru the season and for the riding we do, in Colorado pow, it is awesome. My buddy ran a 3' on his Doo last year and the traction difference is incredible. Different strokes for different folks.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The others that rode my sled all have stock 14 pro 800. Mine is also a 14, we can all climb higher, side hill better do 180 turn outs better then the stock set up. Best thing to do before spending the cash, is to ride a 3". That's what I did before I got mine. But each to there own.

T

T24

May 13, 2008
2014 Pro w/ 156 X3 Avid 7T drivers
Stock motor
TKI belt drive(geared way down)
Kurt's Polaris clutch kit
Team rooster weights
Full Kmod skid w/ Raptors

600 plus miles on this sled and love everything about it other than I wish I had gone longer. However I have found it to be a lot more sensitive to skid setup than my 2012 with the Kmod and stock track(w/ Fbomb mod) was. The track has made the sled handle different for sure, but it depends on riding style and personal preference whether it's better or worse. I personally like it a lot better but I had to change my riding style a bit to accomadate the huge increase in forward traction. Of the few negatives I've found the only one that really bothers me is how hot it runs on the trail.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
2012 PRO 163"
RK TEK Drop in Kit 13.1:1 Head
Team Tied Secondary 73-59-36 with Team red/back spring
Team Rooster Weights 66 grams @ up to 7000'
C3 belt drive, 2.12:1 gearing
KMOD Rear Skid
Camoplast X3 Ported with avid 7T Drivers.

Absolutely love the setup; best sled I ever owned and wouldn't change a thing. As for the track, the traction is unbelievable, I rode with it in the trees for 4 days last week in 2'-3' of fresh snow and it was amazing the lines I could take with it. For the average weekend warrior rider I think it is a great track, but I do agree you need a high end skid to control it properly. I have not really played with my skid much and have always left it on #1 coupling and it does trench some but not seriously; still had 2 doos with me last week that could not even think of following my lines. I'm gonna loosen off my front shock a little for next weekends final ride and try the skid on #2 coupling to see if it reduces trenching. Still think it is a great upgrade on the sled!!!

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I have about 200 miles on my 163 X3 now in various snow conditions. I agree with anthony that the front end likes to push more then stock,I haven't figured out how to fix this yet or if that is just the nature of the beast. In deep powder and climbing this track does hook up better no doubt about it. In snow less then knee deep the 5.1 track is more fun IMO,the X3 almost hooks up to hard making the sled want to lunge forward making it less fun to ride,it is harder to spin around and takes the challenge out of climbing in anything less then powder. In spring snow the sled heats, 140-150 is a pretty normal temp,I seen 190 once on a icy trail with the scratchers down "worst case scenario", stock sleds were seeing 160 with scratchers down. This track has its place for sure, but it is not a great "all around" track and is not for everyone. I will need a few more rides in different snow conditions before I decide if I would do it again or not.

Last edited:

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I've been running a 174X3" since the Fall of '07. If you could use March traction in December and January. The 162 or 174 are for you. They both push more than the smaller lug tracks, but I haven't found it a problem making 30' diameter circles instead of 20' ones. Here's a clip of sleds having fun. These are all 3" tracks and are all boosted. As a point of reference my NA Pro shows about 45MPH pulling hard up a hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6J8wSl1Px4

Premium Features