• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LR800 went down :(

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
India by the ASSO piston company, they are the current supplier for the 600 & 800 engines, from my research, they appear to be an Itialian company that makes pistons in a variety of places, one of them being India.

ELKO/Konig have multiple manufacturing facilities in Austria, Brazil, Thailand, Korea (assuming south) India, China, Mexico etc.

I don't think any of the US twins ever built by Polaris have had a piston from within the US installed.

I see, yer an internet expert with no real evidence. I understand now.

Where are the good 2-stroke US pistons made?

Related to the thread, do aftermarket shops really have the R&D to really correct OEM "issues" at the same or lower warranty rate?

S
Feb 21, 2009
understood

Yes but, if it performed better I could deal with it. Really do not think the pistons were the issue here. If its being fixed then why comment at all.. **** happens!

L
Jan 29, 2010
Yes but, if it performed better I could deal with it. Really do not think the pistons were the issue here. If its being fixed then why comment at all.. **** happens!

I hope to hell someone who has a LR motor or any other add on fix that has a motor go down comes here and tells us all reguardless of anything else.

its only fair to know, its not bashing to say I have a LR motor and it went down, saying your builder is a pile of crap is bashing. especially when you don't have an answer yet.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Just put an Indy Specialty motor in an 09 Dragon 800.

They sent a new, vented oil tank cap with the kit.

sled_guy

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Interesting Sled Guy.

I'm with Lorduss. Still learning the CFI 800. Want to know as much as I can for my next "freshen-up". It would be nice to only do it once more but I'll side with my experience anyway.

3 things will kill a bottom end early. Slight det (not enough to eat a piston), parts not up to snuff and lack of oil. Hope that piece of the puzzle comes out here.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I would guess he wants the motor untouched for evaluation. Nothing fishy about it. Also not pointing fingers at anyone here, but customers can self induce a lot of problems. I can see someone opening the motor, causing a problem, put it back together. Go for a ride, motor locks up and the first call is to Dan.

I don't think Dan would ever intentionally cheat anyone. Why would someone do warranty work when they didn't have too? And then slip different pistons in to make a extra buck. Doesn't make sense to me.

Ghost Rider .... I don't think at this point anyone is calling BS. You have to understand it seems like every six months or so, someone comes on here and throws stones at Dan. Every time it seems like someone has not told the entire story.

I haven't seen anyone slinging crap yet. I can sense your frustration, which I can understand. What caused your failures, I have no idea. Was it the pistons, very doubtful. Should the oem pistons be in your motor, if that was the agreement made, then sure. I would guess it was a simple oversight, nothing more. I am sure Dan will work with you and get it taken care of.

Biltit.... Tomorrow can you ride a cat with one of those fancy super chargers? I am dieing for more info on them.

seems like a catch 22 to me .the reason I said that was that there are rumors of and I have heard of another motor that went down with the same issue's . if the motor wasn't inspected prior to shipping how would you ever know what the truth was.I don't know for sure if it is true or not but it was noted that the quality of work was not so good and the parts were not as specified , if that is true that is fraud and nay be a reason why they warranted the motors with alleged oiling problems. just sayin

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
These are all possibilities in my case. I highly doubt the lack of oil but it could happen. Detonation is possible since i run a 13.6 head. I have run these domes from 1800 to 8000ft. I always run the same octane though as the trails to the high elevation usually start at 2000' (96oct if i recall but i would have to calculate it again). I was at Approx. 2000' when the motor went down. I have never seen the DET light at any elevation since i have owned this machine/motor (~600miles). I was contemplating going to the dealer to see what they can pull from the ECU/gauge for this possibility, not sure what info they can retrieve?

I will be looking in the exhaust ports and spark plug holes when i pull the engine for any suspicious markings/issues. I am also curious what the builder's thoughts are once he gets it.

I have been contemplating going to 14.5 domes.

I installed new injectors/reeds and fuel/oil filter when i installed the engine.

I run a PCV, at the point of the map that i was running in it was stock fueling or more fuel than stock.

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
So I pulled the motor and it is clear the mag side rod bearing got hot. Sending it out tomorrow to the builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

IMBROKEN

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I did a little digging on the Polaris piston from India thing. This is where Polaris gets their pistons. Its from Assowerke in Italy. The link is below.

http://www.assowerke.it/Pistoni_Pistons/Home.html

There is some crappy India company that is called Asso, but they sell god knows what.

Supplier and manufacturer of pistons, piston rings of two wheeler, three wheeler, automobiles, lombardini engines, generators, compressor, tractor ...

http://www.globial.com/Asso-Pistons-India

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Does it really matter? I've seen lots of crappy parts that were made in the USA, or Canada, or any other country. Yes there are some generalizations, and not all without merit....but geographic location is not a measurement of quality on its own.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Does it really matter? I've seen lots of crappy parts that were made in the USA, or Canada, or any other country. Yes there are some generalizations, and not all without merit....but geographic location is not a measurement of quality on its own.

True however, the likelihood of garbage generally tends to come from those other countries.

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
LR

X3 on new everything before install(including oil cap). I have 3 sets of cylinders on bench side by side and all welded skirts look drastically different. All failures due to heat and not detonation.

Premium Features