• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jumped to Polaris reasons

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
I just snowchecked a 2015 Pro 163. It was a hard decision, but in the end choose the Pro. I am coming off of a 2010 m8 162. I chose the pro for the same reason most people do. The lightweight mountain design. I ride the mountains only. Couldn't care about trail manners as anything is better than my m8 on the trail. The customization and the golden ticket helped alot as the warranty in Canada is lacking. The fact that out of the box this sled is setup for the mountains is great. I can just pull and go (correction free electric start for the first couple rides anyway). I like the idea of not really having to by a can and skis right off the bat. The powdercoat should help the snow buildup. There has been no major changes in the last while, so I figure it should have the bugs worked. Motors have been pretty sound in the last few years from what i have seen. Almost forgot close to $3000 cheaper than the skidoo and cat I checked into. Don't know why it was such a hard decision to change the brand you ride. Cat made it easier with there high cost and all the extras I would have to buy for it. Looking forward to next season. Better be a busy summer or I am going to go crazy waiting for snow.

O
Dec 6, 2007
You may find the Cat was a better trail sled LOL. When you are set up right in the rear suspension the Pro doesn't steer... at all.

I will never understand brand loyalty, probably why I butt heads with the Yammi guys so badly, thier blood must run blue to put up with the horrible powder sleds Yammi tries to sell. I buy what works for the $$ I have.

I had to find some sleds for a Texas client. He wanted to spedn about $6k/sled. I found him 4 M-Cats, great sleds, fun and reliable. I had an M7 before the Pro. The Pro was simply the best choice for my riding. My '13 has turned out to be one of the good run ning examples so far. I am 1 season and 1000 miles into it now.

PS, the snow build-up thing is a freaking joke. The overwieght competition is just trying to save face by lying on video. I ride with new Cat's and Doo's, neither seems to collect any more or less snow, certainly not 40-60-80-100lbs difference.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
...PS, the snow build-up thing is a freaking joke. The overwieght competition is just trying to save face by lying on video. I ride with new Cat's and Doo's, neither seems to collect any more or less snow, certainly not 40-60-80-100lbs difference.

I agree. i rode my cat with the short cooler and powder coated tunnel along side a pro in spring conditions. my cat had way more build up on it. many say it is because of the spring snow. well i bought a pro, we got 3 feet of super dry blower powder a couple weeks ago. my new pro held no more snow than my buddies 2014 cat snow pro. so the claims of 100 lbs of snow weight is bs. i have not seen it comparing 2 pros and 2 cats with short coolers and powder coated tunnels.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
You won't be disappointed. I'm not brand loyal and have owned all four to include a turbo nytro. I currently ride a 12' and 13' Pro 163's and have had ZERO issues. When you get in the technical stuff and it's deep, the Pro will put a smile on your face like nothing else.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I agree. i rode my cat with the short cooler and powder coated tunnel along side a pro in spring conditions. my cat had way more build up on it. many say it is because of the spring snow. well i bought a pro, we got 3 feet of super dry blower powder a couple weeks ago. my new pro held no more snow than my buddies 2014 cat snow pro. so the claims of 100 lbs of snow weight is bs. i have not seen it comparing 2 pros and 2 cats with short coolers and powder coated tunnels.

In heavy wet spring snow/pow the proclimb with the short cooler does hold more snow than all sleds I see with a rear cooler. Totally opposite in mid winter snow conditions.

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
feeling good

Feeling pretty good about the switch as most of my buddies have had problems this year mostly cat driveline issues and back order issues. The pro have held up very well, only 1 qd belt and that was a 13 belt although I only ride with 2. I know polaris has a bad rep for motors, but with all the driveline issues I have seen with the new cats. I think the probability of the motor putting me out are way less than the driveline on the Cat. Ride with 1 doo and it has only had updates done no failures, but seen 1 drop a cylinder. They all break and polaris deserves the rep with the dragon motors I personally have see go down mulitple times in a season on the same sled, but from the real world around here the failures are no more on the pro as it is on the other 2 brands in the last 2 seasons. Said I would never buy one of those pos, but in the last couple seasons I have gained enough confidence to actually snowcheck one. The Polaris doesn't make me anymore nervous than if I bough a Cat or a Doo. Good thing I am using a wood desk with these comments. Knock

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I wouldn't worry about a thing. I've been riding with a group of Pro's since 2011, we've probably logged 20,000 miles between a half dozen guys and have never had a breakdown. I've logged 4,200 miles on my own 2012 and 700 miles on a 2014 I picked up a month ago. The only issues we've seen is making sure you keep the throttle free play at nearly 0 to avoid TPS issues (It's about a 15 second fix in the field to tighten it up when your sled acts up) and if you go with a 2014 make sure you replace the grade 5 bolt in your driveshaft quickdrive sprocket with a grade 8 torqued to 45 ft/lbs. The factory recommended clutching is excellent, tune for 8,000 RPM's and it will put a smile on your face. One other thing I've noticed is after about 600 or 700 miles and especially on a long life belt, your belt will get a little thinner, your motor mounts wear a bit giving you (Long belt syndrome, slower less responsive backshift), you springs become a bit softer. You will begin to lose RPM's, it's not a motor issue it's a break in issue. Lighten up your primary by about a gram and that new sled performance comes right back.

Last edited:
H
Feb 16, 2009
I wouldn't worry about a thing. I've been riding with a group of Pro's since 2011, we've probably logged 20,000 miles between a half dozen guys and have never had a breakdown. I've logged 4,200 miles on my own 2012 and 700 miles on a 2014 I picked up a month ago. The only issues we've seen is making sure you keep the throttle free play at nearly 0 to avoid TPS issues (It's about a 15 second fix in the field to tighten it up when your sled acts up) and if you go with a 2014 make sure you replace the grade 5 bolt in your driveshaft quickdrive sprocket with a grade 8 torqued to 45 ft/lbs. The factory recommended clutching is excellent, tune for 8,000 RPM's and it will put a smile on your face. One other thing I've noticed is after about 600 or 700 miles and especially on a long life belt, your belt will get a little thinner, your motor mounts wear a bit giving you (Long belt syndrome, slower less responsive backshift), you springs become a bit softer. You will begin to lose RPM's, it's not a motor issue it's a break in issue. Lighten up your primary by about a gram and that new sled performance comes right back.

You have some good info on the things you have come up with
Thanks for sharing .
I will try running my 13 at lower rpm as you have suggested
I still think mine rocked at 8250 but I will try bringing it down
All my sleds killed belts very quick , 300-400 miles max , what I noticed is even a older belt will not only stretch but get soft spongy and narrowed
Which of course can be adjusted via belt deflection .
For me all most of my sleds performance is in a good new belt and could never get a old belt to perform as well by a long shot .
So I change out or they are shredded and next hill they give up and bust.

Premium Features