• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 T-3 163 Grip Heater Question

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
I have a 2015 T-3 163 and the grip heaters while still working are luke warm at best. My thumb warmer on the throttle still works perfect but I have the setting for my grips at Max and both are barely warm. When new they would get so hot on the high setting it would almost be too much.....like burn your hands hot.

Anyone have an idea to help get me started on diagnosing?? I will pull the grips and look at the elements tonight but the fact that they both still work and put out some heat makes me think the elements are fine. So maybe the stator?? Does anyone have the resistance numbers I should see through the elements and or the voltage output I should be seeing from the leads when running on high??

Thanks in advance for any help people can offer.......I am going to start digging into this here tonight.

Dave

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
So nobody chiming in......lol......ok. Well I have 18/19 ohms resistance on each of my heaters left and right........when the heater control is all the way on low and the sled running I get 2 volts dc idle or revving on low setting I see the same 2 volts.......when the heater control is turned on high / max I get 12 volts dc at idle and 14 volts dc constant while revving the engine.

Can anyone with a shop manual at lease confirm that my numbers are okay or if I have a problem based off of these numbers what is bad?? Thanks again for any input.....just wanting my hot grip heaters back.

Dave

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Grips

Resistance sounds about right. Doo grips are not warm compared to a Yamaha. All the way high on a Doo is low on the yami.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Thanks Eddy.....appreciate it.....just trying to figure it out they used to get pretty damn hot....I have another new set of cork insulators and doo heaters but I don't want to rip off the current setup if there is nothing wrong with it. Maybe I should try some Yamaha heaters??

Dave

D

doopower

Sep 20, 2011
Lytton, IA
mine also suck and it has 100 miles on it. I noticed if I hold a constant rpm for about 5 minutes they will warm up. otherwise they stay lukewarm, no matter what setting.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Check around your handlebars for a pinched wire. I was having issues with my warmers where they'd work, then stop, then work again. Fuse never blew, so I assumed it's the way the ECU controls them.

Then when I went to change risers I could see the wire was partially pinched under the handlebar clamp. Didn't break the wire, but exposed maybe one strand of the wire. Depending on the day, they worked fine, and other days it would ground out and kill the heat.

It's strange too because I wasn't getting a code on my instrument cluster. On my Yami, if you lost your bar heaters or resistance got out of spec, it would throw a code.

OTM

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
I have a 2015 T-3 163 and the grip heaters while still working are luke warm at best. My thumb warmer on the throttle still works perfect but I have the setting for my grips at Max and both are barely warm. When new they would get so hot on the high setting it would almost be too much.....like burn your hands hot.

Anyone have an idea to help get me started on diagnosing?? I will pull the grips and look at the elements tonight but the fact that they both still work and put out some heat makes me think the elements are fine. So maybe the stator?? Does anyone have the resistance numbers I should see through the elements and or the voltage output I should be seeing from the leads when running on high??

Thanks in advance for any help people can offer.......I am going to start digging into this here tonight.

Dave

Get the Skinz Heat Loc, hand guards. My right thumb always felt frozen even with the thumb warmer wide open. With the Heat Loc hand guards, NO more cold hands.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Thanks everyone for the input and replies. Just a heads up.......I got home today from work and out of curiosity I thought I would check resistance on the set of brand new stock doo heaters I had in my bench. They both show 6 ohms of resistance and the ones on my sled are showing 17-to-19 ohms.

Pulled my grips and I cannot see anything visual that would lead to the increased resistance on them??? Maybe the material is breaking down?? Either way the new ones at 6 ohms would have to flow more current and thus produce more heat. I didn't have time to swap them out tonight but will do it tomorrow.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on what I found. Also anyone interested could make a foot note that stock doo heaters for the XM exhibit 6 ohms of resistance when new. That little piece of information may help someone else trouble shoot in the future.

I will run this spare set and when they go bad order up some RSI heaters.

Cheers,

Dave

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Grips

Depending where you read the resistance you can read high or low. When installed the resistance can go up or down depending if they are wired in a series or parallel circuit.

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
I was measuring in the same spot both on and off the sled.....they are a two-wire element and was reading from the two leads off the end of the wires. Doo uses pins on the ends of the wires that you insert into the connector...I pulled the pins on the sled connector and checked at the pins just like I did with the new ones sitting on the bench.

So it was apples-to-apples the way I tested. It is strange that they would both do this at the same time. I will investigate the elements a little closer when I pull them off the bars tonight.

Dave

Premium Features