• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

keep my M1000 or pro800 or m8

H

Hodz Modz

Sep 15, 2011
Ok guys got a 08 m1000 that I like but I keep thinking about a new sled. What do you guys think? Keep my m1000 or get a new sled? If you were to get a new one what would it be 2012 polaris pro 800 or 2012 Arctic cat M8 Snow Pro. I don't think I am ready for the 4 stroke thing yet but maybe someone can give me their input on the Arctic Cat 4 stroke turbo.

Thanks,
Hodz

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
I had a 07 M1000 that had; pipe, port, head, sno pro intake, tunnel update, HCR suspension, and a bunch of other goodies.

I rode last year with a bunch of Pro's and was blown away by their performance in stock form, They were always right behind me.

Needless to say I sold my 1000 and bought a 2012 pro 163". It's nice to gas oil and go.

I'm going up with a 2012 M8 and a 1100T tomorrow, Hopefully i won't regret my decision to buy the Polaris.

Last edited:
Depends on the type of rider you are and the kind of riding you like to do.

I'd also find a friend with a new Cat and Pro and ride both in the conditions and terrain that you would normally ride/enjoy. You may fall in love with one or the other, or you may decide that your M1000 is more your style, especially considering the cost of a trade-up.

I was a HUGE Yamaha/Four Stroke guy until I rode a Summit 800 Etec... It was love at first ride! I was down at the Dealership the next day with my deposit.

You really can't go wrong with ANY of the new Mtn Sleds. For every guy that says his Cat is the best sled, you can find a guy that will say his Polaris is the best, and the same is true for SkiDoo. It just depends on YOUR personal preference. Just ride one of each and make your choice.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
i came off an highly modded M8, rode the pro once and knew i couldn't live with the M. will do things totally stock my M with thousands in upgrades wouldn't. absolutley love this sled, so light quick and agile. if your a tree rider you'll just want to ride it more and more...

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've spent the last couple seasons riding with a guy with a piped well tuned M1000. He would kick our butts all over the mountain when the snow was stiff. When the snow was over our hoods he was always having intake issues, the Pro's ran great. When in the tight trees he had handling/bulky sled issues. The guy's who could ride their Pro's were always trying to find where he bobbled last and help with the digout. He was swapping belts from morning to sundown. I've always been very performance oriented with my sled and have rode a UBR-900 VE Polaris since 2004, it has been a very fast and fun sled. Polaris closed the gap enough with the Pro that I broke down and bought a 2012 155. From what I've seen so far it looks as though Polaris may have picked up the performance a wee-bit over the 11's. The Pro's I rode with last year were pretty much gas and go, easy on belts, good fuel economy, ran fantastic in the powder, even when it was over the hood. They have factory recommended clutching that is really hard to improve on. Everyone I know that rides one has a smile on their face. A couple things need a little work, couldn't stand the handlebars, had to switch to 5" rise RSI's. The stock bars are way to wide and high for my liking. The acceleration through the mid is a little lackluster, but I might just be expecting a little to much coming off the 900.

Last edited:
H

Hodz Modz

Sep 15, 2011
Thanks for the input. I have been thinking pro but have been a cat guy all my life. I do have buddies with both m8 and pro8. I think I will do like you said (when we get some real snow) try them both out and see what works best for me.

Thanks,
Hodz

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I'm running an '09 M1000 and got to ride a Pro, ProClimb 800 and an 1100T back to back. I liked the Pro quite a bit. Held a very good sidehill. The Prob Climb 800 to me was awesome. It felt perfect to me in about 100 ft of riding. Seemed to do everything mine could do but with hardly any effort. I almost traded in the M1 the next morning lol. The 1100 was a beast. Lots of power but I just couldn't get over that steering. These are just my own finds

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
so sounds like the Pro 800, and the Proclimb do well?

i heard the Etec motor for the doo is an awesome motor, but i also hear they flood after being barely tipped over. anyone know any truth to this?

i know back in the day, when a doo rolled, it was a task to get it started...

you'd figure theyd have that fixed about now..

rode an 07 xrs summit, i did not like how it handled at all... anyone know if the xp's handle any better?

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
rode an 07 xrs summit, i did not like how it handled at all... anyone know if the xp's handle any better?

Coming off 3 seasons on an XP myself, I have to say I much preferred the Rev. Just a much better mountain chassis than the 08-10 XP in virtually every way. Sure it may not have went quite as high on the hill, but it didn't feel like a tank when the snow got hard either, and it could actually sidehill over bumps and frozen tracks with ease and not want to wash out. (I'll wait for the "learn to ride" comments now) Apparently the 11' and 12' XPs are a big improvement though.

Some say the new ProClimb handles like the Rev, but I haven't tried the PC to compare.

"i know back in the day, when a doo rolled, it was a task to get it started...
you'd figure theyd have that fixed about now.."

That's because the old ones were carbed. I haven't seen an etec die upside down yet, and I've ridden with a few.

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I came off a 2010 m8 and bought an assault. I don't regret that decision at all! The pro's just pull like no other and keep going and going. Can't believe what the pro does it's just amazing.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
If your buying a sled this year then the Poo Pro still has the leg up.
If your thinking of snowcheck a 2013 I'd be looking hard at the AC 1100t. It will be refined and in a class by itself next season.

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
i heard the Etec motor for the doo is an awesome motor, but i also hear they flood after being barely tipped over. anyone know any truth to this?

Fuel injected sled don't flood duuuurrrrrrrrr!!!!! Come on SRM, less time talking about vacuums more time learning about sleds.

H

Hodz Modz

Sep 15, 2011
What a unique name ASHBURN!! (dork) Just hope my old 1000 don't eat your pro for lunch. I guess if it does the price would go down on yours!! I kinda hope your new Polaris pro schools the young punks in our group riding AC proclimbs.......Rice & Creamcan better look out.

Last edited:
Premium Features