• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vented Oil Cap Issues?

beeze455

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
He and another guy are selling kits. I think you drill the cap and put a hose with a breather on it.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
They have two options (I just ordered one lastnight), you can get a new cap with a vent line attached or you get just the line and drill a hole in the top of the oil tank. I opted for just the line because I have no warranty concerns with mine being an '11 and having a vent line on a cap makes it more difficult to fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
My solution - don't ride on a trail.

All kidding aside, have no idea if this is an actual problem. Never heard it was, but the only symptom, short of a sucked in bottle (don't think that would happen) or blown motor, is less oil use. (Poo's new EPA compliance technique!) About the only way to test it - take two sleds that consistently use the same amount of oil in a day riding together. Put a fully vented cap on one, and the stock cap on another. See if the stock capped sled now uses less oil, day over day. Don't know.

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
I don't see how riding or not riding on a trail has any relevance?

You're right, it doesn't have any relevance to anything... You honestly think that the ball doesn't roll around in there when you are on the trail? I don't know about you, but my sled bounces well enough even on the smoothest trail to get that ball moving, nevermind when I'm out boondocking. Even when you simply turn a corner, accelerate or brake, no matter how flat the ground is, it imposes a force on the ball and it moves. This just seems like a solution for a problem that never existed. Good on those guys for making money reselling some hose though.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I think the greatest chance of it not working is after a rollover and some oil gets into the cap and can limit the movement of the ball, hence it cannot relieve as it should.

Lind

Lifetime Membership
Sep 14, 2012
Readfield, WI
i believe there were a couple posts on hcs about sleds burning down due to failed oil caps... seems like cheap insurance to put together your own kit for about $20 or have one sent to you.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
B.S.--------- Marketing Hype (IMO)

I think the greatest chance of it not working is after a rollover and some oil gets into the cap and can limit the movement of the ball, hence it cannot relieve as it should.

If the oil you are using is so thick it keeps the ball from moving, You have Big problems, as it will not pump or get where it needs to be inside the engine.

I'm not buying their sales pitch. I'm glad to have clicked the link and now I'm more aware, and will monitor it, but do not see it as an issue.

They are set ridiculously lean to meet the EPA regulations. It has nothing to do with how the vent works (or does not work if you believe the explanation). They will flow a full tank of oil per tank of fuel when turned up that much, or the arm comes off. So the vent thing is all marketing hype. Just my two cents.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
If the oil you are using is so thick it keeps the ball from moving, You have Big problems, as it will not pump or get where it needs to be inside the engine.

I'm not buying their sales pitch. I'm glad to have clicked the link and now I'm more aware, and will monitor it, but do not see it as an issue.

They are set ridiculously lean to meet the EPA regulations. It has nothing to do with how the vent works (or does not work if you believe the explanation). They will flow a full tank of oil per tank of fuel when turned up that much, or the arm comes off. So the vent thing is all marketing hype. Just my two cents.

Diplomatically said.
$20.00 for hose, who is getting hosed?
Give me a break, the oil res gets more barometric pressure change riding from 8000ft to 10000+ ft and in temp change thru out the day.:crazy:

Included is a picture of the underside of the cap, I do not think the cavity would fill enough to NOT allow for the ball to move. If filled gravity would drain it and the tube would clear or burp. The tube hole is about the size of a large dipper pin.

100_1234.JPG

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010

Video implied that since the cap sits on an angled bottle neck when sitting on the level, or driving down a flat trail, the ball won't rest against the vent trigger, and air lock. I was making light of the fact that non-rental RMKs seldom see extensive trail use. Lightheartedly. Best of luck to the originators...

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK

Video implied that since the cap sits on an angled bottle neck when sitting on the level, or driving down a flat trail, the ball won't rest against the vent trigger, and air lock. I was making light of the fact that non-rental RMKs seldom see extensive trail use. Lightheartedly. Best of luck to the originators...

Ah, I understand. I have never known or seen any rentals so I don't know how they are treated vs owned.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
I don't have one in my hands to take pics of yet. There are pics on hcs if you wish to see it though.

Read the post over on HCS and I am not a member and not allowed to view pictures.
It sounds like 50/50 that there is a problem or not. Also mentioned is that this style of cap has been used for years except the argument is that now it is on an angle.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Yeah I can't see that being an issue whatsoever. The sleds are constantly bouncing around and on uneven ground. My question is is how the hell is his oil bottle so clean after the 6 rides I have on mine its covered in oil and its not due to a loose cap. Im going to assume the sleds that went up in flames is due to the oil leaking out and igniting on the pipe... My best guess anyways.

Premium Features