• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond Drive Oil

offtrail

Lifetime Membership
What weight is the oil that Arctic Cat uses in the diamond drive. Is it like regular chain case oil or is it thicker? Is there a cheaper alternative than what the dealer gets for the oem oil? I have a couple a bottles of amsoil synthetic gear box oil but I'm afraid it's too thick for what the diamond drive uses. What do you guys think or know?

C
Dec 3, 2007
If I remember right it is simply 10W hydraulic oil, but stay with AC oil. One can never be sure of he said/she said. 5 bucks once a season isn't all that bad.

J
Nov 27, 2007
The Red Line "Super lightweight shock proof" gear oil is the answer. It's the yellow colored stuff. A quart is 12.00, the results are priceless.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The oil post keeps coming up... :)

The only approved oils (by AC) are the AC and BD oils. They have additives for the high pressure/speed of the planetary. (Please do not as I do not know what they are, I am sure I can find out though)

Again I am not trying to sell anything just an FYI.

I am sure there are oils that meet or exceed the OEM specs, I am not sure which ones. Is it worth it though?

$5.95 for a DD without reverse for an oils change once a season or every 1500 miles? $12.95 with reverse?

Mike
BDX

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
i ran Case mastertran hy oil for 2500+ miles. gears looked like new. found the cat oil leaves the case very black looking. never had water in the housing but with the Case stuff it worked great. case was clean and never had problems in -25C weather. killed the DD whine. my m8 sound like it has a small turbo under the hood.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
To think AC or BD have a proprietary oil formulation is preposterous.

Again not trying to start anything, it was what was developed with the DD.

Would you like to find out exactly what the oil and aditives are? I will do that if you would like, as I stated I am sure there are many that meet or exceed OEM.

Mike
BDX

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming

Would you like to find out exactly what the oil and aditives are? I will do that if you would like, as I stated I am sure there are many that meet or exceed OEM.

Mike
BDX

Bottom line is that there are other oils that have been tested to meet ac specs for the diamond drive. If there is a warranty issue they have to cover it because the oil meets the specs they set forth. Ac only cares how a product lasts untill the end of warranty coverage and that they can take sombodys oil bottle it with there name and make more money off the customer by telling them they have to run there oil. It is against the law!! I am not trying to sell a product I am just raising awarness that there are better products and you have the right to chose what type of oil you can run. Alot of times it comes down to avalibilty. I cant drive 90 miles everytime i need oil.

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
it definitely is not hydraulic oil, it is a gear oil the smell is unmistakable as to the weight Im sure its lighter than 75w also I would imagine its a multi viscosity gear oil, it needs to operate over a fairly wide range of temperature. so when you guys pull it and it is very dark in color and smells bad that is normal, im not sure if a chain lube is the same stuff, a dd is actually a planetary system with all gears, hydraulic oil Im sure could lead to premature damage. as long as the oil doesnt get contaminated it should last for years since its in a non pressure closed type system, its the same oil that is in the rearend of your truck just the viscosity is different, now I dont think you would change that every 2-300 miles, most people never change their rearend oil.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
it definitely is not hydraulic oil, it is a gear oil the smell is unmistakable as to the weight Im sure its lighter than 75w also I would imagine its a multi viscosity gear oil, it needs to operate over a fairly wide range of temperature. so when you guys pull it and it is very dark in color and smells bad that is normal, im not sure if a chain lube is the same stuff, a dd is actually a planetary system with all gears, hydraulic oil Im sure could lead to premature damage. as long as the oil doesnt get contaminated it should last for years since its in a non pressure closed type system, its the same oil that is in the rearend of your truck just the viscosity is different, now I dont think you would change that every 2-300 miles, most people never change their rearend oil.

most people also dont have bearing issues or durability issues with rear ends unlike the DD's.

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
yes i would like to know so would everyone else, thanks

Mike
BDX

please tell us, i've asked at purchase on cat oil and got nowhere and you should be able to get msds when buying

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
Red Line oils !

The Red Line "Super lightweight shock proof" gear oil is the answer.
It's the yellow colored stuff.

The only approved oils by Arctic Cat for the DD-system are the OEM oil and Black Diamond oil.
They have additives for the high pressure/speed of the planetary.

Use Red Line shock proof gear oil and never look back !

and it got rid of the DD whine.

The OEM Diamond Drive oil definitely is a gear oil !
The smell is unmistakable.
As to the weight Im sure its lighter than 75w also I would imagine its a multi viscosity gear oil.
It needs to operate over a fairly wide range of temperature.
So when you guys pull it and it is very dark in color and smells bad that is normal, im not sure if a chain lube is the same stuff,
The DD is actually a planetary system with all gears.
As long as the oil doesnt get contaminated it should last for years since its in a non pressure closed type system.
It's the same oil that is in the rearend of your truck just the viscosity is different, now I dont think you would change that every 2-300 miles,
most people never change their rearend oil.

Well spoken !

Use Red Line shock proof gear oil and also get rid of the Dimond Drive whine !

:tea:

Premium Features