• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/2016 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
what kind of totals are they looking at right now up in elevation? heading out in a month.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
what kind of totals are they looking at right now up in elevation? heading out in a month.

There will be plenty of snow in a month. No worries.

There's currently about 6" in Alpine. The Snotels are only reporting snow water equivalent at the moment, so my guesstimation at 8650ft is around 36". More coming this week.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 17, 2015

Another 4" here at the cabins since yesterday. It should be starting to pile up high. Will report after tomorrows ride.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 18, 2015 Rockin' M Ranch Snow Report

December 18, 2015
We picked up about an inch here at the cabins last night. I took the family out for a ride to Blind Bull today to see how things are looking. The Greys River Road is on trail riding for now. Off the trail is about 1-1.5' with a very crusty 6" layer right above ground level. The trail is in great shape with some new snow on the surface for good cooling. Blind bull has a few twigs and willows showing through on the wind blown ridges, but the riding in the trees and north facing slopes is good. The snow has a good base. The sleds are sinking in 6" to 1'. The measuring stick at the Blind Bull snotel site (40-42"). In all some snow is greatly needed down low, but the current conditions are about average for this time of the year for last few winters The forecast is for three consecutive storms this week, Sunday night is predicted as a the big snow maker. Tried to upload pictures of today's ride, snowest is having a glitch. Will try later.

Last edited:

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 22, 2015

December 22, 2015 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M
Since yesterday we picked up 7" of new snow. It was about 30 degrees during this storm, so the snow has great water content. This storm took blind bull up to 45". Willow creek seemed to be the biggest winner in the last two days getting 15" on the stick to bring it also to 45". The ski resorts are reporting Targhee 9" and Jackson Hole 15". I talked to Tim with the grooming, this should be enough to groom the trail over Squaw Creek. More on the way tonight.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 23, 2015

December 23, 2015 Rockin' M Ranch Snow Report Alpine, WY
Another 5-6" since yesterday here at the cabins. Easily a foot of new in the last 36 hours. All of the local snotel sites are passing 50" today. Delmar from Star Valley Ski Doo said that snow went to his armpits when he jumped off the groomer while up grooming Willow creek. It's here, and still snowing.

Last edited:

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
December 24, 2015

December 24, 2015 Rockin' M Ranch SnowReport, Alpine
Another 5" here at the cabins since my last report (yesterday). The forecast is for clearing skies on Christmas day and staying that way for the near future. The timing couldn't be any better to come enjoy. This is one of the best dumps that I have seen prior to the holidays in many years. This should be a great start to a good season. Be careful, the avalanche danger is HIGH! Here is a copy of the Bridger Teton bulletin below. Merry Christmas!!

WESTERN WYOMING AVALANCHE ADVISORY

Issued on Wed December 23, 2015 5:17 PM

SITUATION
Snowfall and wind increased in intensity this afternoon. South-southwest winds with ten to twenty mile per hour averages veered to the west-northwest and increased to near thirty miles an hour. During the day today three to six more inches of snow fell in in the Teton and Southwest trails areas with lesser amounts in the Togwotee Pass area. This snow fell on top of snow that came last night and relatively consistenly and significantly for the last 14 days.

Wind and new snow have formed surface slabs that could slide on density breaks in the recent snowfall. Also deep in the snowpack, weak snow layers persist. These weak layers are now buried under several feet of snow at higher elevations and failure remains a concern and large hard slab avalanches are possible. Today a snowboarder triggered a slide with an 18 inch crown on a steep road cut near the top of Teton Pass. Debris covered half of the road. Slides in the backcountry continue to trickle in and are posted on the website.

FORECAST FOR Thursday, December 24, 2015
Although snowfall is to continue through Thursday, the intensity should decrease tonight as temperatures lower and winds decrease. Temperatures in the single digits are expected in the early morning and highs should reach the teens in the mountains. Winds are to be southwesterly with twenty to thirty mile per hour averages in the morning, decreasing in the afternoon.

If significant snowfall occurs overnight, the avalanche hazard will be High in all the forecast areas. Avalanches could occur as surface wind slabs or they could involve deep persistent weak snow. These older weaknesses could result in large hard slab avalanches with depths to two feet in the Togwotee Pass and the Southwest Trails areas, and depths to five feet in the Tetons.

TREND FOR Friday, December 25, 2015 AND Saturday, December 26, 2015
Colder air is to move in Friday and Saturday. The chance for lingering snow showers is to exist on Christmas with mostly clear skies expected for the weekend. The general avalanche danger associated with the wind slabs will decrease over this period, however the deeper weakness in the snowpack is expected to continue.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Just got back from a 4 day trip in Alpine. We found lots of untracked powder. About 2 feet of fluff on a good base. The popular spots are really tracked up and fresh snow is needed. Saw Rob driving the Rockin' M truck/trailer while heading back to home base.

541fe92571c9f68edeb956dcd7443927.jpg

342e895f9436f1ea60ff20620b844d2c.jpg

64b04fa1cb122020433a9ad614fd0b8c.jpg

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 6, 2016

January 6, 2016 Rockin' M Snow Report
It has snowed a couple of inches here at the cabins in the last 24 hours. Pretty big flakes coming down right now. More of the same in the forecast.

F

fireworkswi

Oct 10, 2009
River Falls, WI
Friends are out there right now. Yesterday they had good base and 5-6" up top not to far down trail. Had a slow start this morning with fog. They are going to BB today. Will report back. Bunch of guys heading into town for clinic.

mwboondockers

Midwest Boondocker’s
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trempealeau,Wis.
Alpine

Just got home this morning from Alpine. Found good snow had to hunt a little bit but it was good. They could use more snow but it can be found. Great accommodations from Rob at the Rockin M. Would defiantly stay there again.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 14, 2016 Alpine Wyoming Snow Report

January 14, 2016 Alpine Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
We picked up about an inch over night here at the cabins and still snowing lightly. The forecast is for modest amounts of snow everyday for the next five days. The local weather man is predicting 20" for the mountains in this next series of storms over the next five days. I talked to a group that rode the bowls of squaw a few days ago. They claimed about 1 foot of new on top from last weeks series of small storms. I rode the Idaho side last week. The snow is more inconsistent in depth than I have seen in many years. Many treed North and East facing slopes will have 3-4 feet of soft powder, yet some South facing open side hills may be only 1.5 to 2' of total snow. The warm spell in November must have created these conditions. Another foot or two and the riding should be good at all elevations in every direction. The cool temps have kept the snow soft and fun to ride.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Rob, as far as snow depths go, which do you find more accurate? The Snotels or Avalanche.org? They differ by more than 10".

I noticed one day I went for a ride this December, Blind Bull was reading 36" on the computer, yet the stick at the snotel site on the same day was at 41", for what that is worth.

I took a few measurements around the cabins this morning. It looks like we picked up about 10-12" in the last three days here at the cabins. I went for a little ride down low. The snow is great. Light powder, yet packs pretty well under the track. It is going to be one of the best weeks of riding that we have seen in awhile.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
It's finally starting to look like the Alpine I know. Avalanche.org is reporting 21" of new fluff at Blind Bull since last Thursday. And it's snowing most of this week too! Looking forward to a trip out there next week:) Crossing fingers for at least a couple of bluebird days.

Premium Features