• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Snowy Range snow conditions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
nice!
Is one in your group a pilot?
That would sure make multiple trips more practical!
(Shively Field is very nice for a small community)

I have been flying since 2000 around 3600 hours. Turns the 8 hour drive from Omaha into 2 1/2 hours if the weather cooperates. Friday we had to shoot the GPS approach down to minimums and barely squeaked in, otherwise it was back to Cheyenne and wait the weather out till it improved.

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
Good eye Dan. 4000 Total time 900 on the 540. It has good paint and interior. Has a Garmin 430 but will have to be updated for ADS-B. Weather sucked Friday, we squeaked in, a King Air 90 went missed on the first try and got in on the second.

Yikes, the only approaches I've shot into Laramie were for practice, have had to fly the ODP coming out though.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
Yikes, the only approaches I've shot into Laramie were for practice, have had to fly the ODP coming out though.

Thats always a great way to start a flight. It was imc for an hour and a half. Autopilot was acting up, servo issue wouldn't hold alt or heading so I got to hand fly. Its been awhile since I hand flew an approach to minimums. Had to hand fly it home too. It was like instrument training all over again.

OldMtn58

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2015
Looking to leave for Snowies Wed or Thur come back Sat or Sun average rider, carry the essentials for backcountry but no avy safety gear, ride 2016 sled, tried every buddy I could think of no one could get away, looking to tag along with somebody if possible, will meet you there. PM me thanks.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I have been flying since 2000 around 3600 hours. Turns the 8 hour drive from Omaha into 2 1/2 hours if the weather cooperates. Friday we had to shoot the GPS approach down to minimums and barely squeaked in, otherwise it was back to Cheyenne and wait the weather out till it improved.

OK, you went and did it.....now I'm jealous!

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
Thats always a great way to start a flight. It was imc for an hour and a half. Autopilot was acting up, servo issue wouldn't hold alt or heading so I got to hand fly. Its been awhile since I hand flew an approach to minimums. Had to hand fly it home too. It was like instrument training all over again.

Ha, I checked your flightaware track, ya did pretty damn good hand flying!:nod:

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Let's not give toggy more head swell. Now can we get back to snow:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!

I sure hope the snow stays and keeps coming. Planning on being there to ride monday-thursday the week after Easter. First time to the snowies for me so any advice, hint, suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thinking of staying at Albany Lodge. Any experience there or thoughts on other place to lay our heads down. Coming out with 4 place enclosed fully geared up, gps in hand, avy trained, and lots of mnt riding experience. Just none in this area. All riding newer sleds hoping to get one good ride in this year!

Thanks,
Wes

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Good looking forecast for the next week or two, and the roads will likely close into Laramie tonight/tomorrow (locals bonus!).

^^Albany is a long ride to the higher terrain (deeper snow, better tree spacing, snow stays dry longer with these spring storms). Albany is a nice place since it's ride-in/ride-out but I don't think I'll ever stay that way again. You might want to look into staying on the West side, that way you can try out Snowies & the Madres. Or I'd stay in Centennial and just trailer up to Greenrock. Head west of the peaks, careful above treeline if it's blowing hard with fresh snow, especially around Brown's peak.

sschulz

Premium Member
Mar 21, 2012
Iowa
Just got back from Snowies yesterday and stayed on the West side at 10 mile Inn. Ride in / Ride out - no trailering and saw one person all day. They have fuel on site also. Only drawback is having to cook at the onsite kitchen but you can eat in Saratoga also. You are also really close to the Sierra Madres - rode there one day also if you like more technical terrain. Great snow though!

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I take it as a good sign to have the 130 closed? We should still be able to ride out of centenniel though right? We booked a hotel in laramie and will be riding out of green rock parking lot. If anyone is looking for a group to tag along with please feel free to hook up with us. Will be riding Monday-Thursday. Praying the weather and conditions hold.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I take it as a good sign to have the 130 closed? We should still be able to ride out of centenniel though right? We booked a hotel in laramie and will be riding out of green rock parking lot. If anyone is looking for a group to tag along with please feel free to hook up with us. Will be riding Monday-Thursday. Praying the weather and conditions hold.

130 being closed doesn't always equate to good snow on the mountain. Usually when the Front Range gets hit (like yesterday) the mountains don't get as much. Upslope storms.

That being said - I think the snowy's did OK yesterday, but a lot of the moisture pushed through to Northern Colorado (we had about 18-20" of wet snow at our house north of Denver).

This next storm (today and tomorrow) should set things up pretty good for the weekend. We are going to head up there tomorrow and see how it goes.

natedog

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2008
Snowies or Rabbit Ears

Heading out west now for the weekend and curious how snow conditions are in the snowies and rabbit ears? Debating on where to stay, and wondering who got hit with the most with this last storm and who is supposed to get his tonight through saturday. Anybody have some totals??

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Snowed on and off all day, bumper deep in the trees. Probably deeper on the west side.

689fc9d09517967507f42098342973bf.jpg

eb7f68132c1316894c8f3a7ced4c6783.jpg

Premium Features