• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tips on separating diamond drive from track shaft.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
I'm trying to put my 2.6 track onto my 2011. I am having trouble separating the diamond drive from the jack shaft. All the right bolts have been removed. My plan is to buy rust check penetrating spray and try that. WD 40 didn't seem to work.

Any other ideas on tricks to remove would be great. And yes I have done this a few times and this is the first time it's giving me trouble.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
not sure what you know to do or not

big screwdriver or small crowbar

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Put your center bolt back in then back it out 4 or 5 turns, run a heavy rod in to use as a punch and take a heavy hammer to it. They sometimes can rust in pretty tight. Don't mess with a light nail hammer, use a real hammer! PB blaster or Knocker loose are good penetrating fluids. Fluids need time to work and several applications.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
Put your center bolt back in then back it out 4 or 5 turns, run a heavy rod in to use as a punch and take a heavy hammer to it. They sometimes can rust in pretty tight. Don't mess with a light nail hammer, use a real hammer! PB blaster or Knocker loose are good penetrating fluids. Fluids need time to work and several applications.

Off to the city to buy some Knock-er loose. It's definitely this kind of stuck.
Thanks.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
I couldn't get it off. Gave up til tomorrow nite. I tipped the sled on its side and let knock-re loose sit in the shaft for 1/2 hour. When I put it back upright the fluid poured out. I was hitting so hard, my 16 mm socket doesn't fit anymore. I have to use 17 mm.
I even had my son with two pry bars prying on the diamond drive while I was hitting the bolt. I even sprayed the outside of the shaft after prying the rubber boot open.

Next plan of attack after work and daughters soccer game is put the sled back on its side and put lots of knock-we loose in the shaft and let it soak for a day.

If I really get pissed maybe I'll just cut everything off and replace with diamond drive lite, lite weight track shaft and ceramic brake.

The diamond drive does wiggle so it's so stuck to the bulk head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I couldn't get it off. Gave up til tomorrow nite. I tipped the sled on its side and let knock-re loose sit in the shaft for 1/2 hour. When I put it back upright the fluid poured out. I was hitting so hard, my 16 mm socket doesn't fit anymore. I have to use 17 mm.
I even had my son with two pry bars prying on the diamond drive while I was hitting the bolt. I even sprayed the outside of the shaft after prying the rubber boot open.

Next plan of attack after work and daughters soccer game is put the sled back on its side and put lots of knock-we loose in the shaft and let it soak for a day.

If I really get pissed maybe I'll just cut everything off and replace with diamond drive lite, lite weight track shaft and ceramic brake.

The diamond drive does wiggle so it's so stuck to the bulk head.

You sure you have all the nuts off the diamond drive? I believe there are 8 nuts total.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
if you have access to an air compressor i'd try and borrow a air hammer and put a fat end on it and just let the thing vibrate the shaft off. If anyones taken the torsion bars off a chevy truck to put leveling keys on they probably know what i'm talking about.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
if you have access to an air compressor i'd try and borrow a air hammer and put a fat end on it and just let the thing vibrate the shaft off. If anyones taken the torsion bars off a chevy truck to put leveling keys on they probably know what i'm talking about.

I like this idea. I'll still let knock-re loose sit for a day first.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
After removing all of the bolts and the Trackshaft

I tipped the sled on it's side a took a 2-3 foot long 2x4 placed it onn the round part of the DD and pounded it off with a 2 lb mallet, Is it safe to asume that you have removed the small aluminum plate in front of the toe hold area. there are 4 small torx head bolts you must remove to take out the aluminum plate.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
I tipped the sled on it's side a took a 2-3 foot long 2x4 placed it onn the round part of the DD and pounded it off with a 2 lb mallet, Is it safe to asume that you have removed the small aluminum plate in front of the toe hold area. there are 4 small torx head bolts you must remove to take out the aluminum plate.

Yep got that plate off. Not much room to get a 2x4 in there put doable. Since I didn't find an air hammer yet. I'll give it a try tonite

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
Still defeated. 2x4 totally mutilated. No damage diamond drive. Lol. Tomorrow might be able to get air hammer. I may just have to do the walk of shame and take it to a shop if that doesn't work.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
wow-

sounds like a bear, you have taken the center bolt out of the inside of the jackshaft right????

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
sounds like a bear, you have taken the center bolt out of the inside of the jackshaft right????

Yep. Decide to leave it alone for a couple days. I bent the bolt hammering on it while it was half unscrewed. Tackle it again on Thursday when I no so tempted to take a saw all to it.
Bolt cost $12 here and had to order it.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
So the drive shaft is still on right?
Make sure your track is not holding the drive shaft (drivers through the track windows)
Hitting the bolt with long solid shaft sounded like it should have done the trick
But I guess not.
Making sure the drivers are free of the track try beating on the brake end of the drive shaft with a 3lb dead blow hammer

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
So the drive shaft is still on right?

Make sure your track is not holding the drive shaft (drivers through the track windows)

Hitting the bolt with long solid shaft sounded like it should have done the trick

But I guess not.

Making sure the drivers are free of the track try beating on the brake end of the drive shaft with a 3lb dead blow hammer

Yes the track shaft is still seized to the diamond drive. Hitting the bolt might work next time but I will have to use a new bolt has I bent this one. Attacking this problem Thursday afternoon. One more night shift to work first.

Premium Features