• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Injector lead color related to turbo issues

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
How much boost?

Started with 5lb spring. Turbo kit had both ports on the waste gate plugged when it was shipped to me. So early on I was in an overboost plus DET situation.

After the second ride with the kit no being solid I dropped down to 3lb spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
So did it squeak or did piston break? Piece of piston had to come off to break the case?

Piston had some issues, but it was a piece of the cylinder wall that broke and went through the case.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Started with 5lb spring. Turbo kit had both ports on the waste gate plugged when it was shipped to me. So early on I was in an overboost plus DET situation.

After the second ride with the kit no being solid I dropped down to 3lb spring.

So wait, explain this further - it didn't have the ports setup properly? Confused...

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Thats Correct- He called me and explained the over boost and figured out both his ports on the waste gate cap had the plugs- I suggested for him to remove one and see how it ran from there.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Interesting

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/TS-0506-1001-Hypergate45-MAY-12-rev-2.pdf

Obviously, I have a vacuum line on mine going from wastegate to the turbo. However, I see the top port is plugged when turbosmart clearly states it should be venting to atmosphere. I know the Silber boys know what they are doing when it comes to wastegate setup but I'm curious the rational behind doing it this way.

Going to ask!

There is two ports on the lid/top, one should be closed and the other should be open. Of course I have yet to see a nipple on any of them but non the less they have all been open to vent. Not sure why his would come with both plugged or who would have done that. I have heard of people doing it them self's thinking it was wrong and needed to be plugged.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
There is two ports on the lid/top, one should be closed and the other should be open. Of course I have yet to see a nipple on any of them but non the less they have all been open to vent. Not sure why his would come with both plugged or who would have done that. I have heard of people doing it them self's thinking it was wrong and needed to be plugged.

Yup. You are right. My other port was open. I only had a pict of one side on my phone!

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Mine came built that way. Moving on to rebuilding the turbo. Since the exhaust side of the turbo swallowed some metal the compressor wheel is damaged. Whether I sell the turbo or not, I need to fix it. Anyone know where/how to source that part? Google searching hasn't tuned up much. Tried reaching out to Silber, but haven't heard back as well as kpa. Any help would be appreciated.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
Mine came built that way. Moving on to rebuilding the turbo. Since the exhaust side of the turbo swallowed some metal the compressor wheel is damaged. Whether I sell the turbo or not, I need to fix it. Anyone know where/how to source that part? Google searching hasn't tuned up much. Tried reaching out to Silber, but haven't heard back as well as kpa. Any help would be appreciated.

You could try calling cycles and sleds in Logan. Thats who i bought my kit from. I just recently lost my turbo too and ended up having to buy a whole complete assembly. My housing was damaged too so hopefully yours isn't. By the way I think you know my brother Colt Kapp haha.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
You could try calling cycles and sleds in Logan. Thats who i bought my kit from. I just recently lost my turbo too and ended up having to buy a whole complete assembly. My housing was damaged too so hopefully yours isn't. By the way I think you know my brother Colt Kapp haha.

Yes I do. he is my neighbor. Send me a pm. I would like to chat about our failures and see what you did to resolve.

Premium Features