• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need 5 psi spring

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
I am looking for a 5psi spring for my push turbo. My tial springs are green, red, yellow. The green spring is about 6.2 psi but we cut another green spring and I am still seeing 6.5psi. Any suggestions. I rather not just keep cutting the spring but find one that gets me in the 5 psi range. What works and what doesn't. Thanks

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
Not the new kit. Has 6.2lb spring that is cut but still reading 6.8 lbs on data logs. Swapped to the green 6.2 spring and get 7.6lbs on data logs.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Throw on a "boost T" controller and you'll get what you need without the spring work.
Just put in a low force spring... small yellow or small red (depending on the model of TiAl WG you have)... The controller will not 'switch' open the WG till you reach the desired boost....

What exact model of TiAl WG do you have (EG 'F38, 'V44' etc)

In conjunction with the Boost-T, you want to use a spring that has a rated force just below what your lowest boost is....no too low, as this can then be affect WG opening with pipe pressure.

Also... I'm taking for granted that you know that your boost gauge will read higher as you rise in altitude above sea-level for a given Manifold pressure??

Plus, it will give a bit crisper function of the wastegate.

AMAZON $78 with free ship
http://a.co/4u9tT9e

TS-0101-1001.jpg

Last edited:
M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
Thanks a bunch for the advise. I will get one of those, I was trying not to run one but looks like I have to go that way. I will just have to find a spring that will get me a bit lower than 5psi. I am running a bully dog to flash the ecu and a piggy back pcV with afr and pod to make on the fly adjustments. I am at 1500' but will be out west in a few weeks. Tough getting this dialed as it is a new kit for him. Got the top end clean but running 6.5-7.5 lbs with 50/50 110/93 oct. I haven't seen a det light and the afr is 11.3-12.7. The low end is the problem so far. I have nothing below the initial powervalve opening at 5500 rpm. He has another flash that is supposed to clean that up but bully dog went on the fritz and i had to send it back to bikeman. I get that on tuesday and should be able to test the new tune. I have been data logging the pod and bully dog and that is where I am getting my psi numbers from.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
It is a mV-s 38mm. I have a short green, short yellow and long red spring. The labels on them say. short green 6.2, red 8, yellow 10

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
I have the green one in it right now and it is making 7.5 psi, instead of the 4.35 psi. I am going to cut another coil off the cut one and try that. Yes that is my wg, the mv-s 38mm. It is not water cooled though, only the turbo. Ken says the turbo is more efficeint than expected, in the field it is making more psi than on the dyno. I will custom cut the already cut green spring. Honestly the smile factor is much nicer with the 7.5 psi. Just have to be careful about how far I go, I have an extra 3gal mountain fit tank I can take along to mix 50/50. No deto so far.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
I have 2 map sensors, 1 stock, 1 pcV in the intake above the throttle bodies and the baro free in the chassis. He is getting 5 psi with his new spring so I will be getting that one too.

Premium Features