• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Plugs backing out

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
OH! one thing to take a look at, where the carbon fiber intake meets the hood, make SURE there isn't a leak there. I'd suggest sealing that with some sort of tape at minimum. You could be sucking hot air in from the engine compartment creating weird charge temp problems?

Worth a shot...

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
As always thanks for the input here. RPM is 8300-8400 as long as I hold the throttle in the right spot roughly 50-60%. If I burp the throttle or roll into the throttle it lights up and pulls like hell. If I hold the throttle wide open it will stumble. Going to get my gopro mounted on the bars looking at the gauge next ride and post.

Worth noting that I never get the DET sensor to trip. Plugs stay in now so progress I suppose.

On TPS, adjusted that when putting the turbo on based on the write up and thought I had it dead nuts. Worth checking again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Plug Torque

BTW: Spec for torquing plugs is 20 FT Pounds or 27 Newton Meters.:present:

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
As always thanks for the input here. RPM is 8300-8400 as long as I hold the throttle in the right spot roughly 50-60%. If I burp the throttle or roll into the throttle it lights up and pulls like hell. If I hold the throttle wide open it will stumble. Going to get my gopro mounted on the bars looking at the gauge next ride and post.

Worth noting that I never get the DET sensor to trip. Plugs stay in now so progress I suppose.

On TPS, adjusted that when putting the turbo on based on the write up and thought I had it dead nuts. Worth checking again.

Plug it into digital wrench to see if you've thrown any det codes

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008

Why are your rpm's so high?

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
This kit should run between 8300-8500.

But he's at that rpm at only 50-60% throttle? Did you try throwing some clutch weight at it? I have a '11 pro with Silber kit and if I hit 8500 it bogs out. It seems like a tunability problem, but it's just too high of rpm's for my setup. I pulled my hair out for a long time chasing a ghost when it was just that. Just a thought.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
But he's at that rpm at only 50-60% throttle? Did you try throwing some clutch weight at it? I have a '11 pro with Silber kit and if I hit 8500 it bogs out. It seems like a tunability problem, but it's just too high of rpm's for my setup. I pulled my hair out for a long time chasing a ghost when it was just that. Just a thought.

That is what I am going to try next and here is why.

Today I checked the TPS and it is in spec so we went to ride. Today I ran it with a different ECU from my buddies sled with exact same setup (other than stickers) and still no different.

Had the go pro pointed at the gauge and seeing RPMs bounce off 8650 so I was/am hitting rev limiter. Switched to the 3lb spring and it was a little better, but still hitting the rev limiter.

Seems strange that at 8500 feet running 3lb spring turning 10-76 weights I am over revving. While my friend with identical setup runs a 5lb spring and his is perfect pulling 8350.

Can there really be that much difference between the two sleds that I need to run even more weight while running the 3lb spring?

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008

Today I checked the TPS and it is in spec so we went to ride. Today I ran it with a different ECU from my buddies sled with exact same setup (other than stickers) and still no different.

Had the go pro pointed at the gauge and seeing RPMs bounce off 8650 so I was/am hitting rev limiter. Switched to the 3lb spring and it was a little better, but still hitting the rev limiter.

Seems strange that at 8500 feet running 3lb spring turning 10-76 weights I am over revving. While my friend with identical setup runs a 5lb spring and his is perfect pulling 8350.

Can there really be that much difference between the two sleds that I need to run even more weight while running the 3lb spring?

It sure sounds like something is up with your clutching.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It sure sounds like something is up with your clutching.

I agree...I know he's trying to compare and use the same set-up as the good running sled. These sleds do some goofy stuff when running to little of weight.

I'd throw some more at it just to see.

I've seen sleds get transported from Seattle to Struther's and find sled runs perfect at their elevation. Comes back, runs like dogmeat. Add weight, sled runs perfect.

No 2 sleds are ever the same.

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
Pull the clutch weights and check the bushings. Silber has had some issues with some of the clutch bushings.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

What weights did you get w your kit?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Well I am at a loss. Tested tried everything I can think of. Bushings are fine and even with more clutch weight it behaves the same. Happened to run into a guy locally with the same kit and his sled is doing the same thing. Except last year he blew up his sled.

I dunno. Only option left is I am going to take my buddies kit off (we ordered them at the same time and Silber shipped them both same day) and put it on my sled. If runs as it does on his sled hopefully silber will be willing to stand behind their product and get me a properly built kit.

I don't mind R&D, but this is beyond acceptable.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Swap his wastegate onto your machine. And make sure that your reference line is properly connected.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Put a boost gauge on it. Sure sounds like your running more lbs then what your tunning for. That power is coming from somewhere :) Eric

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
First and foremost I do want to clarify that I am not throwing anyone under the bus here especially Silber. My buddies sled RIPS. Just frustrated with two identical sleds built out at the exact same time with 2 kits that were built and assembled at the same time with drastically different results. We literally did one step on his then stopped and did the same on mine.

The recommendations on this thread have been great and I consider this thread one of my best experiences with Snowest to date. How a forum should be.

Swapping waste gates is a good idea, and I will try that before I swap the entire turbo setup.

I agree that the power is coming from somewhere so hope to pick up a boost gauge from the auto parts store tomorrow to monitor.

Snow is getting deep with more falling this weekend and I want to ride this pow with a dialed boost setup. In addition I have on the conqueror 280 and would like to be able to post some feedback on that too.

Will report back with new finding if I can sneak away tomorrow without sleeping in the garage tomorrow night.

Premium Features