• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt life

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
That's odd. I ride the snot out of my sled, and for long periods of WOT without stopping and I haven't blown a belt in 10 rides this season. What is your clutching setup? I kept the stock 40 helix and stock 3" chaincase gearing in mine to keep the clutch heat down.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
The way I ride and the way the snow has been in Colorado this year I can't keep a belt in my Sidekick to save my life... haven't got 2 days out of a belt yet this year.... I'm gettting disgusted:face-icon-small-dis

You need TRS's setup

68gr Lightning weights
140-330 Primary (stock pro rmk)
46-32F helix
140-220 secondary
Gates 45C
SLP 20-191 bar set with ~.150" gap to the secondary

I'd also recommend gearing down to 2.3:1 ish. If you're only doing technical tree riding you could get away with putting the pro rmk pulleys on. That gets you to 2.39:1.

Oh and I forgot to shim the primary .030" belt to sheave with those weights.

If you do all that you will be happy.

Last edited:

djarvis

Premium Member
May 9, 2008
Canada
Anyone running the above TRS clutch set up on a 155- 3" PRO RMK with MTNTK turbo running around 7psi? What kind of results?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
That's odd. I ride the snot out of my sled, and for long periods of WOT without stopping and I haven't blown a belt in 10 rides this season. What is your clutching setup? I kept the stock 40 helix and stock 3" chaincase gearing in mine to keep the clutch heat down.

Had this conversation with a shop today. If you ride like Travis and Tory(White Dumpster), Burandt's crew, Entz....Medium speed, on/off throttle, laying on your side, picking through the trees, tons of track load, YOU WILL have heat. It's inevitable. It's just minimizing the heat.

A lot of the Axys alignment is way out of wack. Second the standard turbo set ups create heat.... Tons of it.

Tory, I tried to convince Iceman today. He seemed skeptical.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Had this conversation with a shop today. If you ride like Travis and Tory(White Dumpster), Burandt's crew, Entz....Medium speed, on/off throttle, laying on your side, picking through the trees, tons of track load, YOU WILL have heat. It's inevitable. It's just minimizing the heat.

A lot of the Axys alignment is way out of wack. Second the standard turbo set ups create heat.... Tons of it.

My clutching still gets hot. There is no miracle cure for clutch heat. 13 sleds over 12 years Ive ridden and all Ive got clutches really hot. Tried many different clutching combos on each. Just is what it is with how I ride. But still havent blown a belt in 10 rides on the oem belt. Would be interesting to try TRS setup. Guy knows his stuff.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

Yes but yours is whole different clutch setup... Im guessing the heavier weights are helping yours come on not as explosive and clamping the belt much better.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
You need TRS's setup

68gr Lightning weights
140-330 Primary (stock pro rmk)
46-32F helix
140-220 secondary
Gates 45C
SLP 20-191 bar set with ~.150" gap to the secondary

I'd also recommend gearing down to 2.3:1 ish. If you're only doing technical tree riding you could get away with putting the pro rmk pulleys on. That gets you to 2.39:1.

Oh and I forgot to shim the primary .030" belt to sheave with those weights.

If you do all that you will be happy.

Not skeptical, just prolly more confused then anything... I never did get an answer on how to even get this setup.

What is a Gates 45C?
What is SLP bar?
Where and how to you shim the primary??
Is the gearing a must?
Has anyone tried this on a Sidekick? Any other gains besides belt life??
Cost?

Thanks

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Not skeptical, just prolly more confused then anything... I never did get an answer on how to even get this setup. Tricity has the weights, Venom for Custom cut Helix. Springs from your Polaris dealer. If you want I will put it all together and sell it to you.

What is a Gates 45C? Gates Carbon fiber belt
What is SLP bar? Alignment bar, in the SLP catalog
Where and how to you shim the primary??Dealer can do it, or you can bring your sled down and I have someone who can do it. Its not easy. Other option is sending your clutch to Indy Specialties
Is the gearing a must? no but it will help. You have a $13,000 sled with turbo... a little more money isn't going to kill you
Has anyone tried this on a Sidekick? Any other gains besides belt life?? We have 3-4 sidekicks on the snow running it right now. They are smiling ear to ear. I don't know how many others are out there. Smoother clutching, spools faster... Pulls harder, cooler clutches...
Cost?
Helix $150
Springs $100 (I have heard Polaris springs just took a jump)
Weights $100
Shimming ???? $100 if you have someone do it?
Gearing??? I am not sure
Contribution to Tony Simeck foundation $20

Thanks

Like I said, we can put it all together for you. Bring your sled down and my buddy can put it all together at his shop.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Yes but yours is whole different clutch setup... Im guessing the heavier weights are helping yours come on not as explosive and clamping the belt much better.

Not Saying CO 2.0 has a bad set up.... I have no idea what it is. TYPICALLY the heavier you go, the worse for turbos. The motor needs to spin freely, you throw too much weigh at it you fight the motor and the turbo. There is other ways to have it smoother engagement and not have it be so explosive.

Example... sled sitting in my shop, makes 350-400 hp. Straight race gas triple with monster turbo. It runs less weight, then I run in my Pro and his clutching is spot on.

Premium Features