• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Axys Clutching

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I switched to the venom weights after my bushings lasted 3 rides on my SSI weights. The venom weights are pulling more consistent rpms and feel smoother. At 11K ft I'm running Red bolt in bottom hole, blue with thin washer in middle, and blue with no washer in top hole. Speedwerx H5 140-335 spring with 2 metal glide washers in the spring cup. 3900rpm engagement. 40deg helix and the secondary spring that came with the Silber kit (forgot the rate) with one glide washer under spring cup. Pulling 8300-8350 consistently at 11K ft. Stock chaincase gearing. Runs like a champ. Think I'm gonna stick with this setup.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Supposed to get my kit tomorrow from Silber. Spoke to Justin today to ask about which weights he sent to me. I assumed they would be SSI weights...he said they were not. He said they will still have magnets and look similar to SSI but the ones he sent me are his own weights that they are having made for them. I asked if they were made by SSI and he said NO. I did not dig any further into it.

Anyone else hear about this? I was taken by surprise as this is the first I had heard about this. I mainly ask because I see others on here who have had issues with the bushings on SSI weights wearing out quickly. A little concerned as to what to expect with these weights...

He's having them made for him. Work great for me so far...

C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
Is anybody having heat issues with the clutching? I do ride aggressive but after 1 steep pull the clutches are smoking hot. 3 silbers in my group and all of us have issue taking out belts. I tried a stiffer secondary spring, black lime green and it didn't help the issue. I thought I might be pulling through the secondary but I don't think this is the case. I am still running the 40 degree helix and have changed to a softer primary spring to help bring down the grams in the weights. Rpms are at 8300 with 79 gram weights at 8-10k feet. Am I going the wrong way with the secondary? Thanks

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Is anybody having heat issues with the clutching? I do ride aggressive but after 1 steep pull the clutches are smoking hot. 3 silbers in my group and all of us have issue taking out belts. I tried a stiffer secondary spring, black lime green and it didn't help the issue. I thought I might be pulling through the secondary but I don't think this is the case. I am still running the 40 degree helix and have changed to a softer primary spring to help bring down the grams in the weights. Rpms are at 8300 with 79 gram weights at 8-10k feet. Am I going the wrong way with the secondary? Thanks

Been researching this same thing all night. I'm thinking maybe a blow hole will help keep temps down but it doesn't take long in deep powder being on the stick to have the clutches smoking hot...Took out two belts in two rides

C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
I do have a blow hole, I would hate to see what happens without it. As of know I am averaging a belt a ride, race fuel is cheap compared to belts and oil in this thing. I am running 7 lbs in the sled, I forgot to mention that earlier.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I do have a blow hole, I would hate to see what happens without it. As of know I am averaging a belt a ride, race fuel is cheap compared to belts and oil in this thing. I am running 7 lbs in the sled, I forgot to mention that earlier.

What gearing are you running ? I would lower the gearing on one of the sled to see if it helps or not

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO

I only go through one a season typically. I also ride them at 7 pounds. I am a believer in stock belts and that additional vents can contribute to belt failure, not help it.

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
I have been running the Silber Kit at 7lbs. since this time last year, clutching and belt life have been perfect.

My sled is a 16 axys 163" track length 3"lug. I geared the sled up slightly to help load the turbo. Stock it came with the 19 top & 44 bottom gears with a 74 pitch chain. I geared it to the 20 top & 40 bottom gears requiring a 72 pitch chain.

The clutching that came with the kit has been great. However the clutching sounds slightly different than this years Silber Axys kits.

Clutching I'm running now is:
(Which I ride between 9,000 to 12,500 elevation)

Primary Clutch:
Venom series 10 weights loaded at 73 grams (lighter on the tip, blue screw in the tips). Pink venom primary spring (180/320).

Secondary Clutch:
42/46 .33 helix with the venom Black/ Lime Green secondary spring (180/300)

This is the clutching that was provided with last years turbo kit. I also installed a SLP torque arm, its a tall task for the stock motor mounts to maintain proper clutch alignment IMHO with all the power of a turbo.

Just wanted to share what I feel is a pretty good set-up with the Silber Axys kit. I have about 500 miles to a belt, might go longer but it seems that I decide to install a nice groove in the belt:face-icon-small-hap before I have had one go bad on me.

I have not tried the new Silber clutching just FYI.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
500 miles on one belt so far, after a few good pulls I can grab both my clutches. I have ran both last years and this years Silber spring but with a 42/46 helix. Also we are running a 42/44 and no
issues yet.

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I've got the clutching from silber which I bought in the spring of last year. 76g primary weights with a red/almond primary spring. Can't remember the spring in the secondary, and a stock helix.

Corey, How would venting hurt belt life?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Curious to hear that as well ^^

300 miles and belt life is good on my sled so far, 42-44 helix and Silber clutch kit the rest of the way @ 1500' - 3000' elevation.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Getting it out this weekend. 3-6000 elevation
Almond spring in the pri
Black and silver in the sec.
86 grams. Red fastener and tungsten washer in each hole.
44-48-36 helix
174-3inch
tki belt drive stock gearing. Thinking of going up in ratio 1 tooth to a 26.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Added MTNTK blow hole and temps seem to be cooler. Still blowing a belt every other ride and paying very close attention to belt deflection. Wondering if a steeper helix would help especially since the 3" track is gearing me up from stock

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Added MTNTK blow hole and temps seem to be cooler. Still blowing a belt every other ride and paying very close attention to belt deflection. Wondering if a steeper helix would help especially since the 3" track is gearing me up from stock

Absolutely go steeper on the helix. 44 minimum (and seems best performing). 48 is where I'm at, still on first belt 220 (HARD) miles later.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
black/orange. Though to be honest, according to the calculations I've seen, spring selection is far less important than helix selection.

Well we are finding it very hard to pull the 42/46 helix with the black/white 160/260 and I had no issues pulling it last season with the black/lime green 180/300 so wondering if I need to go back to the stiffer spring.

Premium Features