• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mag side EGT 100-150 degrees hotter?

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Hi guys, I bought a VOHK built 2013 Pro running 10 psi on a mix of 45%91 octane, 45% 100ll av gas, and 10% toluene with some oil added. I was told this was Vohk's proprietary mix. This is my first season on a boosted sled. It has a RK tek top end and head. I'm noticing my mag side EGT is running considerably warmer and I'm wondering if this is normal. The sled has 1250 miles on it, with stock reeds as far as I know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Is it running 100-150 above the other side at all engine loads, speeds, RPM?

Swap the pyro's and see what happens.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I'll ride again tomorrow. It's not a super consistent number, but it's much 100-200 degrees hotter. Is it remotely normal for the mag side to run hotter?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
also check piston wash. If both of the pistons look the same and are safe looking then I wouldnt worry about it. EGT numbers dont really mean much unless you have compared the numbers to what is really happening in the cylinder. Im surprised it even has dual EGT's on a single pipe. Mounting probes in the Y pipe has never been ideal. Eric

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
also check piston wash. If both of the pistons look the same and are safe looking then I wouldnt worry about it. EGT numbers dont really mean much unless you have compared the numbers to what is really happening in the cylinder. Im surprised it even has dual EGT's on a single pipe. Mounting probes in the Y pipe has never been ideal. Eric

This.
If piston wash is the same, you're fine.

If they aren't, you could possibly have an air leak issue or injector issue.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
I'm actually having the same problem and was going to post this exact question.

Yesterday I swapped out an exhaust manifold with egts from another sled that are bang on with maybe 5 degrees difference.

Would this be an issue with a bad injector?

Last edited:
T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I would be willing to bet this is just an indication error. You would be surprised at how much of a different temp reading you get based on the install location of probe. Koso probes are notorious for working loose. I bet the side that is reading cool has slid up out of the pipe. 1/8 to 1/4" difference will give you that much difference of a reading. Check the easy stuff first.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Like I said I tried a different exhaust manifold with egts off another sled, and they were bang on 5 degree difference on the that other sled. On mine its still out 150 degree, so Ive eliminated the EGT probe location as a problem. Brand new reeds in my as well.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Like I said I tried a different exhaust manifold with egts off another sled, and they were bang on 5 degree difference on the that other sled. On mine its still out 150 degree, so Ive eliminated the EGT probe location as a problem. Brand new reeds in my as well.

swap your injectors side to side, see if the temp difference switches too. Might need to have the injectors cleaned. Eric

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Dam thats a big job. But I guess towing out a sled, and pulling a blown engine is an even bigger job.

Any suggestions on how to release the glue that holds on the metal retaining clips on the injectors?

Last edited:
H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
It seems it is now reading 200 to 300 hotter. Pulled the plugs and they both look plenty rich, chocolate brown to black, and same on both cylinders. It looks like a small leak on the exhaust you pipe gasket between the head and you pipe, but nothing crazy considering its got 1400 miles on it. Tightened the bolts up a smidgen so I'll see if that helps. I was going to switch the probes side to side but man it seemed to back out hard. Riding tomorrow so I didn't want to chance it. I think it's a bad probe... but it reads, just higher than I feel it should. Next step new probe?

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
It seems it is now reading 200 to 300 hotter. Pulled the plugs and they both look plenty rich, chocolate brown to black, and same on both cylinders. It looks like a small leak on the exhaust you pipe gasket between the head and you pipe, but nothing crazy considering its got 1400 miles on it. Tightened the bolts up a smidgen so I'll see if that helps. I was going to switch the probes side to side but man it seemed to back out hard. Riding tomorrow so I didn't want to chance it. I think it's a bad probe... but it reads, just higher than I feel it should. Next step new probe?

Have you checked reeds??

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I haven't checked reeds... I imagine it will need them by the end of the year for sure. How do I check them? I cinched the probe bolts down and rode yesterday. Out of the parking lot pto side was 600-900 down the trail, mag side 1200, which I know can't be right. Suddenly after a couple hours of riding, both sides are right where they should be, within 20 or so degrees of eachother... I think it's a faulty probe. The sled is running spot on.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Yup, just a goofy probe. After doing all the things listed above I saw no difference for about half a ride, then they both lined out really close. The next ride they stayed very close too... like within 50 degrees. If it goes haywire again I'll get a new probe.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Yes its weird mine did the same thing. At one point in the 900-1100 range they were bang on with each other, but 700 and below it would bounce around being 50-100 degrees difference.

Ill run it a few more times and keep an eye on it

Premium Features