• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ran my Silber kit without the oil line

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
Did the install on my 2017 SBA since I've done it once already I figured I knew it all, moving too fast I never secured the coolant and oil lines. The lines ended up resting on the can and cauterized the oil line. After about 100 miles since the install I noticed the line. The only thing that I can see is the yellow ring on the coolant line that connects to the head is slightly melted. I repaired the line reprimed everthing and rerouted it. Still rides awesome but did I cause my self issues down the road like seizing the turbo? Also that sled is ridiculous with only 3lbs.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
They are fun on 3 for sure!

So did you at least prime the turbo with oil? Definitely could do damage to the bearings but if you primed it and it had some oil you may be ok.

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
Yes I primed it at the I install and reprimed it when I repaired the oil line. If I did smoke it it just a matter of time before it seizes or would it have most likely seized already. I've put aleast 50 miles on it since and didn't notice any different sounds or anything at all ran the same. Is the some way to check if I've cused damage?

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I'm going to pull the 90 of the intake and fell for any play or bad bearing chatter but beyond that I don't know much else any suggestions?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I'm going to pull the 90 of the intake and fell for any play or bad bearing chatter but beyond that I don't know much else any suggestions?

That's probably what I'd do - I also run heat reflective tape around my oil line just for this reason.

Worst case, you buy a new turbo. They aren't awfully expensive (but not cheap either)

If she seizes you'll know it.

D

doobie

Oct 13, 2008
Cochrane ab
its fine. my buddy burnt his line of twice last year, put on at least 30 miles each time. that was 1100 miles ago and sled still hauls ***.

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
Thanks that actually makes me feel better but just so I can brace myself what turbo is on this kit how much is it and how hard to install it ? please excuse my ignorance I'm probably one of the few people who has these setups and don't know.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
If you primed it well and you don't have shaft play I would run it. Worst case it locks up. Most likely it will last longer than your sled ��

Last edited:

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
If it's the kpa turbo which run ceramic ball bearings. They require hardly any oil. If there was any damage you almost always notice a hesitation. Ride it and don't worry about unless you experience a hesitation or bog.

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I'm not overly concerned about the cost it's more about is it worth rolling the dice or should I park one on the shelf. Having two sleds with the same kit I definitely wouldn't mind having one on deck. If it's majority the cost of the kit I probably wouldn't I'd roll the dice on it crapping out.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I'm not overly concerned about the cost it's more about is it worth rolling the dice or should I park one on the shelf. Having two sleds with the same kit I definitely wouldn't mind having one on deck. If it's majority the cost of the kit I probably wouldn't I'd roll the dice on it crapping out.

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure a replacement turbo is around $1K

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
My experience...starved a turbo of oil for one day. Ran it for another year and a half and the bearing(s) went out, which destroyed the entire turbo and luckily didn't send anything into the motor.

If I had it to do again, I would have rebuild that turbo with new bearings. Cheap and good insurance against sending stuff into your motor.

Premium Features