• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which m8 has the best oem ski

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I've put Powder Pros on the 3 M's Ive owned and they all have loved em. I'm sure there's plently of other aftermarket skis out there but they have worked excellent for me. I bought my last set for 150$ on craigslist they were used for 250 miles:face-icon-small-hap

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I've put Powder Pros on the 3 M's Ive owned and they all have loved em. I'm sure there's plently of other aftermarket skis out there but they have worked excellent for me. I bought my last set for 150$ on craigslist they were used for 250 miles:face-icon-small-hap

They don't work as good on the pro climb as the m, or as good as the grippers unless your ready to do some heavy grinding and reshaping. Then they work pretty good.

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
I agree with WyoBoy

Powderpros work great on M series, but Grippers work great on Proclimb chassis.

I don't mind the stock ski on the M chassis because it handles different that the proclimb.

I do not like the stock skis on the proclimb (although the 2016 skis are a step in the right direction) I would put grippers on for my first choice and powderpros for my second

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Yama skis?

Snowmobile reviews raved about the '17 Yamaha mountain skis on the Pro-climb chassis. Anyone tried them? They would be a direct fit, but with only 2" spacer adjustment.
juggle.gif

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
The '16 skis were definitely a step up from the stock skis on my '14. I don't remember how the older m chassis stockers were as it's been forever but I was happy with the simmons I had on my m7 for many years.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Everyone loves the Grippers but I liked the Mohawks way more than the Grippers on the sleds I've ridden. Maybe it's where we ride, maybe it's how I ride, the Powder Pro's a close third with the Carl's Mod. But anything is better than stock.

I also had a Gripper and new Cat ski side by side and from the bottom profile and a tape measure, there didn't seem like there was much of a difference. With that being said I'd take a Gripper over a stock '16 Cat ski still.

I'm also fond of the BX but only in certain type of terrain and set-up snow conditions. On my Rev they work flawless, not so much on the PC.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The keel is where the big difference is on the gripper vs the 16 cat ski. The gripper is much wider and keeps its depth for a longer run down the ski bottom. You can pull the sled up and balance it on one ski on the garage floor with the gripper. You can't do this with the 16 cat ski. The gripper is also a stiffer ski than the 16 cat ski. All personal preference, but I like a traditional bottom design over what SLP has. I've found all SLP skis can work better in one type of snow and much worse in another type of snow. I like the happy medium of the grippers. Just seem the most predictable to me in a wide range of snow types.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
skis

Thanks CO 2.0 for the sound advice. I'm only hopeful that the Yamaha '17 Mtn. ski is the real deal as it's hard for me to put a Polaris part on a cat with all the s*** the Poo riders give the Cat faithful!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The keel is where the big difference is on the gripper vs the 16 cat ski. The gripper is much wider and keeps its depth for a longer run down the ski bottom. You can pull the sled up and balance it on one ski on the garage floor with the gripper. You can't do this with the 16 cat ski. The gripper is also a stiffer ski than the 16 cat ski. All personal preference, but I like a traditional bottom design over what SLP has. I've found all SLP skis can work better in one type of snow and much worse in another type of snow. I like the happy medium of the grippers. Just seem the most predictable to me in a wide range of snow types.

That says a lot. Our snow is either champagne powder or set up kinda the same throughout the season. Give our powder a few days and it's basically what we ride on until April. But then again we don't ride over 8,000ft very often either. BC is kinda nice that way.

Good advice!

Premium Features