• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 M8 to 2009 M8 electronic reverse (Summer Project)

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Ok my Diamond Drive is going south & I have been thinking of the new electronic reverse. I Searched for this and haven't come up with anything on here.

Can you use a 2009 M8 ecm on a 2007 M8 & swap to a light weight Diamond Drive?

I have found numerous threads on the m1000 having this done. I know that the oil pump won't work, anybody think of anything else? Harness?

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
your correct that on the 07's you would need an a 09' or up ecu so to get it to work you would also need a new harness and a lot of stuff like gauge may not work with the new harness. reverse cut helix is neccesary if you get it to work. i've been told its straight up not worth it will end up rewiring the entire sled and the new ecu's are expensive. i'm on my second donkey drive just ditching it for the bdx lite and loosing reverse.

K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
'08 ecu's can be flashed to the 09 map and operate the reverse function. no need to replace the wire harness, just modify your current one its real easy if you have the 2 wire diagrams side by side.
Just add a reverse helix, and your all set

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
I don't get it? So you have to have mechanical reverse on your sled already?

Yes, But its failing. Just checking to see what it would take to convert to the new reverse that spins the engine backwards. Bonus would be a less complicated drive with fewer parts to fail & 10 pound weight reduction.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Yes, But its failing. Just checking to see what it would take to convert to the new reverse that spins the engine backwards. Bonus would be a less complicated drive with fewer parts to fail & 10 pound weight reduction.

Sorry, my question was for Miko and the setup that he posted....I don't see how it works.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
I got ya Snowmanx. The link above just gets rid of the reverse actuator, only a couple pounds, but it gives you positive engagement. I looked at this also but want to run a more simplified DD.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
'08 ecu's can be flashed to the 09 map and operate the reverse function. no need to replace the wire harness, just modify your current one its real easy if you have the 2 wire diagrams side by side.

That is for an 08, I believe he is talking about an 07, which is a whole different deal from what I understand.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
you can't put an 09 ECU on an 07 sled. The CCU is different as well as the stator. To run the 09 ECU you would need a stator, voltage regulator, ECU and new wiring harness. If you have oil injection on your 07 it won't work in reverse, you need to delete it or buy and 09+ oil pump.

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
Sorry, my question was for Miko and the setup that he posted....I don't see how it works.

This set up works like Burn Down said. It gets rid of the actuator and solenoid so you only have a little lever to pull over on the mechanical reverse. It's kind of a good feeling to know that it is all the way in and not shelling out the DD by sticking half way in or out. IMO

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
you can't put an 09 ECU on an 07 sled. The CCU is different as well as the stator. To run the 09 ECU you would need a stator, voltage regulator, ECU and new wiring harness. If you have oil injection on your 07 it won't work in reverse, you need to delete it or buy and 09+ oil pump.

Hmm, always has to be the hard way haha. I'll put this on the back burner & just fix what I got for now. Thanks for the replies guy's.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Hmm, always has to be the hard way haha. I'll put this on the back burner & just fix what I got for now. Thanks for the replies guy's.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can put an 08 ECU on and have it flashed to the 09 map and get around the stator, wiring and CCU issue. You will have to add a pin on the stock connector and run a wire to your reverse button to activate the reverse function on the ECU.

C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon

Can you tell me what dealer told you that the 08 can be flashed to the 09 specs??? I would really like to talk to them since I have been shot down by 6 dealers so far saying it cant be done..:confused:
How about a phone #???

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
again ,, it can not be done with out replacing all of it , as i mentioned in the last thread about this

07 is 07 only , it has totally different wiring

08 you can do it ,, and no you cant just buy an 08 ecu , its everything ~

dont belive me just pull up the parts fiche for 07 08 and 09 and compare ..

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
again ,, it can not be done with out replacing all of it , as i mentioned in the last thread about this

07 is 07 only , it has totally different wiring

08 you can do it ,, and no you cant just buy an 08 ecu , its everything ~

dont belive me just pull up the parts fiche for 07 08 and 09 and compare ..

You didn't mention a new stator? So do you need one, or can you do it with the 08 ECU, wiring harness, and clutching? Thanks

Looks like something I won't be tackling either.

Y
Dec 14, 2007
This has been gone over many times in the past and from all I have heard and read your CANNOT simply reflash an '08 M8 to get electronic reverse. You need a new computer and whatever other stuff. Something about it is different. The one you can reflash is a '08 M1000 and get the functionality from the computer and then add the wire and whatever else.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
ohh , off the top of my head ,, gauge , gauge harness , main harness , ecu

thats about 1000 bucks right there ,, and the list is not compleate ,, how bad do you want it?

Premium Features