• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lava Mountain Lodge, riding areas nearby?

C

chanks7

Dec 3, 2007
We are heading to Wyoming for our groups first trip out west. We are staying at the Lava Mountain Lodge and looking for some good untouched powder riding. We normally ride in the UP of Michigan and spend the majority of the time in the trees or riding fresh power lines. Not looking for trails, hills and meadows would be great, doesn't have to be crazy. I heard there were some good riding around the brooks lake area. Anyone have any experience in the area? Are there any close by play areas?

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Lot of riding through out the area Brooks Lake is just one of many areas to ride. Another area to put on your list which is full of meadows and right next to Brooks Lake is Squaw Basin both are on the same trail system. Just across the hwy from each other.

DPG

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
Lave Mountain

The farther north you go the more traffic you will run into. If you hit the snow just right it will not make much difference. You will have awesome riding all day long for several days and will not have to travel far to find it. If you hit it wrong the play areas along the trail really take a beating. Since it is your first trip to the mountains and in a new area I would only assume you will stay closer to the trail unless you have a guide.

A word to the wise. If you call out to "most" of the resorts prior to arriving they will tell you the snow is good to excellent if you know where to find it. They don't want cancellations and they want your business. This is true but there are times you better know your way around. The resorts are good once you are there advising you which direction to go to find the most recent snow falls because they want you to enjoy your stay and the riding they have in the area.

I would highly recommend if staying at Lava you have equipment where at least half of your riders can carry extra fuel. You hopefully will not need it but if you have marginal snow or they have not had a system come through in over a week you have the ability to run out 20 or more miles from Lava and get to the areas that have not been tracked up. The larger the group typically the less gas you will use per sled.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
We stay at Lava and the best thing I can say it just trailer up the road from there and park in one of the lots and leave out of there. You can ride from lava but what you'll find is that if you just drive up the road 5 to 15 minutes (depending on what lot you go too) you are so much closer to the riding. The closer you get to Togwotee Mtn Lodge the busier it usually gets. But we have never had a problem finding fresh snow to ride. What you'll be amazed in is that everything withing a couple hundred feet of the trailer gets tracked up but if you wander just a bit further "off the beaten path" you will be pleased at what you find.

3C Guiding

Dec 9, 2010
Laramie Wy.
We are heading to Wyoming for our groups first trip out west. We are staying at the Lava Mountain Lodge and looking for some good untouched powder riding. We normally ride in the UP of Michigan and spend the majority of the time in the trees or riding fresh power lines. Not looking for trails, hills and meadows would be great, doesn't have to be crazy. I heard there were some good riding around the brooks lake area. Anyone have any experience in the area? Are there any close by play areas?

Give me a call we can take you out of lava and have you in rocking snow every day. you just do the riding and have fun no need to look for the good snow that's what we do for you.

C

chanks7

Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the replies, we were thinking about possibly getting guide for a day or 1/2 day (if that's an option). I just have to see if everyone is on board with that, what does the guide service cost?

We are from the St. Paul area of MN, will be driving 2 trucks with 2 5-place trailers.

M

mplynchmob

Nov 1, 2011
MN headed WY
Lava is a great place to stay. There will be more trail access to the lodge this year as well. Also I would highly recommend 3c guiding.

Premium Features