• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what helix you guys running in your turbo pro

Clutch Kit

The custom cut helix that we sell here at Carl's works great, coupled with our secondary spring. The helix works at all elevations up to about 10K, at which point you would want to rotate it to its secondary cut. Our clutch kit works great if you are interested in getting some information from me on it, give me a call at 208-853-5550 and we can discuss it. If you read these forums much, you will see all kinds of talk about our clutch kits and how well they work.

I do have everything in stock if you wanted me to send some stuff out to you!

Thanks!

Daniel @ Carl's Cycle Sales
Boise ID

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I am running a straight 48 helix. Just wanting to know if there is a better helix yo be used thanks
straight 48 is a pretty solid choice. Have done a few with 44-48 and 42-46 with good results as well for different track/rider setups. Nice thing is you can get the twin trax helix's for fairly good prices and switch them around and see which shift pattern suites your riding style best.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
90% 48 straight

I was planning on using a 44-48 helix this year with turning up boost to run race gas are you guys finding a straight 48 is better for what type of riders?

Im on and off wot all the time or close to it sidehilling trees with someties keeping it pinned for 10 seconds at the most usually

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
75 gram weights for our elevation. Primary and secondary springs impact this choice also.
True, what secondary spring are you matching with that helix? We're trying to come up with a good setup this year and everyone seems stuck on that 46 to 50 degree finish for the turbo sleds. I would like to put a helix in there that doesn't seem to rely so much on a crazy stiff spring to hold the belt from slipping. We may have to look at this setup as well.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Rule #1 - If TRS says it works, it will work. You can't half Azz it either, you have to go all the way.

I don't know how many years ago we started switching from Cat clutches to the Team. Bill Lofton said put in a 48. I searched high and low for one. Everyone told me I was nuts it won't work. Kind of looks like the norm now. I have never been a big fan of the reverse helix's. Seems like a bit of a band aid. Guys use them to cover up bad bottom end.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
Rule #1 - If TRS says it works, it will work. You can't half Azz it either, you have to go all the way.

I don't know how many years ago we started switching from Cat clutches to the Team. Bill Lofton said put in a 48. I searched high and low for one. Everyone told me I was nuts it won't work. Kind of looks like the norm now. I have never been a big fan of the reverse helix's. Seems like a bit of a band aid. Guys use them to cover up bad bottom end.
I'm not denying that in any way. I am always intrigued by clutching, would like to try as much as possible.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Helix choice is important for sure but no more important that spring choice. I would like to see spring choices,weights,as well as the helix choice.

Mine
50 deg
sec 140-240
pri 175-260
pol 70 gr
14 lbs@2000 ft

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
The other part of it, that is being left out is gearing. I am amazed at the different gearing that is put into the t-sleds. The best all around t-sled I have been on , has 1.85:1 gearing in it. Then you have TRS, who runs the complete opposite. I am sure his runs like a beast too... OHHH boost is fun :face-icon-small-hap

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Here is my turbo setup. This is not a road race setup it's for high elevation back country riding. 8-9# boost with a TRS modified Boondocker kit.

20-46 gearing with 8 tooth 2.86 drivers 2.5" 163" track
46-32F ER helix 42-34F ER special cut from team
140-220 secondary spring
165-310 primary spring almond/red
75gram Lightning weights
This set up is for stock Polaris primary and secondary with stock sheave angles.

Edit: chaincase model.

Last edited:
H

hook

Nov 28, 2007
Ocheyedan, Iowa
Gearing

Has anyone had any luck gearing up the pros with chaincases? Thinking about doing this since last winter my sled didn't seem to lug at all. Thanks

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
Rolly View, Alberta, Canada
Has anyone had any luck gearing up the pros with chaincases? Thinking about doing this since last winter my sled didn't seem to lug at all. Thanks
Would like to know also. planning on going up to about 1.90 for the season or at least try it.
AS for helix I run the tied clutch and run a 63 or a 65 straight cut.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
my last set up at 13 psi boost

155/300 speedwerks H5 primary
78.5 gr roosters , all in the tip
40 50 .4 team helix
165/310 secondary with 2 delrins

@ 7500 ft 8250 pretty good on the bottom as well

Premium Features