• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Question

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
7 tooth drivers

Will a 162 x 15 x 2.50 track fit on my 2012 Polaris 800 Pro RMK 163? I know i would have to change out the drivers to a 3.0.
Shouldn't be an issue, but likely have to install 7 tooth drivers. The 3.0 pitch is slightly larger then the stock polaris drivers, and the Avid 7 tooth are slightly smaller - better AOA & track to bulkhead clearance.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
an 7-tooth, 3" pitch driver gives about .3" additional lug-tip clearance with the same track... ie.. a 2.86" pitch 2.5" lug CE track with 8t drivers will have .3" less clearance than the 3" pitch 2.5" lug CE trck with 7t drivers.

You will need to remove and modify the chaincase to allow for the 7t drivers however.... FTX has these cases on Exchange with the mod done or will do to yours on request.

You will also need to get the adhesive and gun to bond the case back onto the tunnel (important)

Skadi:Since Allen was doing my skid swap I thought I would have him do my track swap as well. I decided to go with the new Peaks track from Camoplast and it wasn't quite as simple as just a track swap for me!! Due to some of the conditions we're forced to ride in here in the beautiful Northwest we thought it best to give my sled just a little more clearance through the tunnel. The 2.5" track with the stock drivers was TIGHT!! Allen and Curt with Fastrax and Eric (Mtnhorse) thought long and hard about the BEST way to go about this. There were a few ideas and we decided to go with the cheapest first since we all know we're all watching our pocketbooks these days!! The solution was to mill out a portion of the chaincase so that smaller drivers could fit! Easy!! (well, easy for a shop like Fastrax to do!!) Curt advised Allen on the best way to do this so that it could be done quickly but in the future if I need to do this I will send it to Curt as he's getting himself fully set up to have this milled and to turn it around quickly!

10-02-118.jpg

10-02-1133.jpg

S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
I guess Im a little slow here... I was thinking you could just put the 7 tooth drivers on the shaft and you would be good to go. I didn't know you have to modify the chain case. What about the 2013 with the belt drive?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
You can put in a 163" Camoplast Challenger Extreme 2.5" lug x 15 wide with 2.86" pitch...#9105
It is a direct "bolt in" track with no driver change needed.

There is not much clearance with this track (heck... not much with the stock). Many have run it...though I prefer the additional clearance... I believe this offsets the smaller diameter easily.

My favorite on this sled is the new design 9174/9175 with the 7 tooth. With this track you will need to run the Avid products Power Claw style drivers. Here is the info on that track CLICK HERE

The 9175 162" track has the new design paddles... and is lighter in weight...The 9175 is a 3" pitch.

Of the two... the 9105 is has more consistent traction in crusty and harder snows than the 9174... but gives up a bit on the deep pow traction in comparison. For me... living in Coastal concrete snow areas..but traveling to Wyo, Ut, Co, and Revy... The 9174 (153") was the best combo with minimal compromise.

Both designs are now single ply and drum molded.

ChallengerExtreme2.5_001.jpg

9175Homepage_000.jpg

Last edited:
S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking of going with the new 2.6 power claw. Will that track even fit in there with the amount of clearance? have you heard any feedback on anyone doing this?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
We have installed a lot of the 9105. A great track IMO. We have seen a lot of different profiles come and go. The 9105 profile is the old standby, it has passed the test of time. The best mod to this track is to cut .200 off the lug height, in the Pro chassis. I made a simple jig for this mod, takes about 30 min. to cut.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I'm running the new X-3 3" track 9220. It works awesome. It's a lighter weight easier to turn 3" track that works great on a stock sled like mine. 7 tooth Avid drivers(on a steel 12 driveshaft) was the only "mod" required. I know 2 guys running it on their turbos and they LOVE it too!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
TRS... Have you compared the 9105 to the 9175 side by side... worth it if you haven't... also weight diff is something to factor in... the 9175 is lighter.

Snomac... the PC 2.6 WILL fit in with the 7 tooth drivers... you have to urn the AVID PC-style drivers with this track... which also means trimming the rails and running an anti stab.... I'm hearing great reports back from people running the PC-2.6 in the PRO Chassis...

Matt.... the 9220 (X3) is a great track and easy mod as you've shown. The lug design is the same as the 9175

I've seen some torn-up in the spring riding and don't recommend them to people that do a lot of mixed hardpack/trail and mtn riding...some are not as careful as others. If you do a lot of mixed riding... recommend the 2.5" track as they are more durable in these situations. According to Camoplast, the X3, by virtue of the taller lugs, is not as tolerant of mistakes... also about a $350 - $400 price diff. In heavy spring conditions the 9105/9175, in my experience, have more downhill control in braking.

The 9220, you still have to use the AVID PC style drivers with that track as there are no involute drive nubs

Lots of choices out there for tracks... choose wisely and you'll have fun...

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That PC 2.6 track should be available "slightly used" from the 1100T guys:face-icon-small-sho who are putting bigger lug/longer tracks on too. The stock Pro track is pretty good and if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of upgrading I would go 3" with the 2.6PC being a close second.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I'm running the new X-3 3" track 9220. It works awesome. It's a lighter weight easier to turn 3" track that works great on a stock sled like mine. 7 tooth Avid drivers(on a steel 12 driveshaft) was the only "mod" required. I know 2 guys running it on their turbos and they LOVE it too!

Wade, you didn't have any clearance issues with the tunnel and the 3" paddle?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Matte... could you post up a pic of the inside of the track at the front where it clears the front arm cross tube where it bolts to the tunnel?

Did you move yours at all?

Which sled of yours is this on... a PRO or an XM?

=========
Rich,

It's tight, but it fits.

With a 7 tooth, 3" pitch driver... you gain about .3" of clearance compared to the stock 8 tooth 2.86" pitch driver... with the .6 Inches of added lug height.. you are decreasing the clearance for the track by a hair over 1/4" (net).

You will increase the traction and performance... but there will be additional parasitic drag... especially noticeable in coastal or high moisture snow on sub freezing days.

Have a look at your stocker.. subtract 1/4" and you will have an idea... look at the fwd tunnel-roof to tip if lug clearance... that is where it is tightest.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
For me... going for the "Swiss Army Knife" of tracks in many different conditions and geographic locations... the 9174/9175 has hit a home run for me.

I'm probably going to drop the $1100 for the X3 & Drivers this year to give it a longer term eval.

S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
Thanks again for the info. I had the power claw 2.25 on an M7 a few years ago and loved it. I think the Pro stock track is great in the powder, but when the snow gets a bit crusty or hard, the track is just too soft. I've already had a few close calls with the track washing out on a side hill this spring. I miss having the claws to hook up when you need them to. Thinking the PC 2.6 should be a pretty sweet all around track on the Pro.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
TRS... Have you compared the 9105 to the 9175 side by side... worth it if you haven't... also weight diff is something to factor in... the 9175 is lighter.

Snomac... the PC 2.6 WILL fit in with the 7 tooth drivers... you have to urn the AVID PC-style drivers with this track... which also means trimming the rails and running an anti stab.... I'm hearing great reports back from people running the PC-2.6 in the PRO Chassis...

Matt.... the 9220 (X3) is a great track and easy mod as you've shown. The lug design is the same as the 9175

I've seen some torn-up in the spring riding and don't recommend them to people that do a lot of mixed hardpack/trail and mtn riding...some are not as careful as others. If you do a lot of mixed riding... recommend the 2.5" track as they are more durable in these situations. According to Camoplast, the X3, by virtue of the taller lugs, is not as tolerant of mistakes... also about a $350 - $400 price diff. In heavy spring conditions the 9105/9175, in my experience, have more downhill control in braking.

The 9220, you still have to use the AVID PC style drivers with that track as there are no involute drive nubs

Lots of choices out there for tracks... choose wisely and you'll have fun...

MH,
I have not tried one. I would if they built one in a 2.86 pitch.
I've ran the 3.0 pitch 7 tooth driver from Avid in the past and tried the Yamaha 7 tooth drivers. I have cut and made 3 involuted Avid drivers in the 7 tooth 3.0 pitch, the track ratchets.
It may only be me, the 7 tooth 3.0 pitch driver causes a vibration issue. It also carries the track to far around the driver before release. This is evident in driver and rail tip/cap wear. In my experience you must run anti-stab wheels or pay the price. This is also evidence that the drivers carry the track.
I have also witnessed the rub pad/ FTS clearance tab torn from the top of the front torque arm. Caused by a 7 tooth driver clearance issue. Shock then damages the track. I have added small idler wheels to the torque arm to relieve this problem. Yamaha had some nice wheels for this.
IMO all of the issues associated with running the 7 tooth 3.0 pitch driver add up to more rolling resistance. There are a lot of people out there happy with the trade off. I am not one of them. This is only my opinion from past experiences.
Tony

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
MH this in on my Pro. I'll try and get a pic. There is some vibration, but not obnoxious. Richracer I haven't seen any rubbing from the track yet. The install went really quick but I had sled ninja Jared Sessions do it for me. It's really a 3 man job. With the sled on its side one guy to get the drive shaft in the bearing, one guy to support the rear of the track and one guy to fold/stuff the track around the drive shaft and into the tunnel where it's tight.
Also, I'm running a KMOD skid and they have an anti stab kit stock.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
MH,
I have not tried one. I would if they built one in a 2.86 pitch.

Wait till next season :face-icon-small-win

It may only be me, the 7 tooth 3.0 pitch driver causes a vibration issue. It also carries the track to far around the driver before release.

Did you use the PC style Avids or the standard style? I've noticed a Huge reduction in this vibration compared to the others...The PC style does not ride ontop of the clips... It turns in the rubber involutes unless it starts to ratchet...

I have also witnessed the rub pad/ FTS clearance tab torn from the top of the front torque arm. Caused by a 7 tooth driver clearance issue. Shock then damages the track. I have added small idler wheels to the torque arm to relieve this problem.

I've done this as well... good mod huh... Wahl made setscrew collar ones for me for a good price.

Tony

Premium Features