• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team Tied set up question

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Mine eats belts every 400 miles, going back stock. Local reputable shop set it up , align the two clutches, after the first belt I took it back and it check out fine. Love the back shift and helix, 75 57 and forgot the last number, pulled hard for sure just gets too hot.

Exactly how mine was.
Except i put three helix's and bunch of springs through the wringer.

Switched to my brother's setup ( who was spanking me) and all is good now.
Basically carls cycle for tss04.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Exactly how mine was.
Except i put three helix's and bunch of springs through the wringer.

Switched to my brother's setup ( who was spanking me) and all is good now.
Basically carls cycle for tss04.

so what was brothers setup?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
My Team tied was in the garbage after shovelling a bunch of money to teams bank account. I believe I realized it was a worldwide clutch scam and then i got sad.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
My sled had the tied clutch in it when I bought it that's why I tried so hard to make it work.

We ran the two set ups back to back with each helix i have and they both hit consistent target RPM.
But you could hold your hand on the secondary with the TSS 04.
And it would consistently outpull the tied.
Then we swapped secondary clutches and ran them again.
Needless to say I went and bought a secondary clutch off of eBay with the helix in it.

I had to tweak my rear suspension settings to keep from wheeling over backwards with just that change.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
My sled had the tied clutch in it when I bought it that's why I tried so hard to make it work.

We ran the two set ups back to back with each helix i have and they both hit consistent target RPM.
But you could hold your hand on the secondary with the TSS 04.
And it would consistently outpull the tied.
Then we swapped secondary clutches and ran them again.
Needless to say I went and bought a secondary clutch off of eBay with the helix in it.

I had to tweak my rear suspension settings to keep from wheeling over backwards with just that change.

Hmm The Tied or any clutch is only as smart as the guy who chooses the helix and spring ,, jus sayin

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hmm The Tied or any clutch is only as smart as the guy who chooses the helix and spring ,, jus sayin

Yep.
Indy dan set me up with one setup.
Local shop that does alot of testing the other.
I've clutched a sled or two.......
Everything about the tied worked except upshift after a momentary load.
It would never pick up the trackspeed after a hole or a steeper section.

Builds stupid amounts of heat

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Don't expose the lie sheetmetalfab-you could be disappeared by the team tied teamsters. Shhhhhhhhhhhh. Mum's the word.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Tied works just fine.

TSS 04 works just fine.

P2 works just fine.

Old Cat clutch works just fine.

ACT Cat clutch works just fine.

This year I'll try a tortional set-up on a TSS 04 and sooner or later it will work just fine. If I get frustrated- need parts, I'll pop on the Tied cause it works the best for me but I'm still trying to get to 400lbs.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Not much to tell. Aaen has it available. I spoke with him this summer and like he said, it's not rocket science.

I enjoy screwing with stuff (maybe it was the glue lol). Have a few clutches hanging around. Starting with the lightest P2 springs then if needed bend my own.

I have a desire to return to old side pressures and retain E-reverse.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Not much to tell. Aaen has it available. I spoke with him this summer and like he said, it's not rocket science.

I enjoy screwing with stuff (maybe it was the glue lol). Have a few clutches hanging around. Starting with the lightest P2 springs then if needed bend my own.

I have a desire to return to old side pressures and retain E-reverse.

George,
The P2 has a few flaws in design also. Screws that hold the backing plate on seem to come loose and strip threads easily. The helix needs a steel center hub instead of aluminium.
Dalton will cut you any helix angles you need, they are a great source. If you want a box of P2 helixes, I can send you the box PI sent me to test. I couldn't find one from PI to work at my elevation.
PI has the old style secondary that will fit the splined shaft. It needs a length of spline machined from the inside to be able to adjust offset.
Another option is a keyed jack shaft from Micro Belmont. They built the shafts we used on our Dragons for PI's old roller secondary. The old roller secondary will allow you to retain reverse. The helix needs machining for reverse.

image.jpg

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Here is the old roller secondary. I would need to find a picture of the helix machining. These were a great secondary.

image.jpg

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I thought this was the P2 secondary?

Tony, if you don't mind sharing....What springs, helixes, and applications have you run the P2 secondary in?

09600RMK.jpg

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I thought this was the P2 secondary?

Tony, if you don't mind sharing....What springs, helixes, and applications have you run the P2 secondary in?

That is the P2.
I can give you all the helix angles PI sent me and what I had cut. Used most P2 and TSS-04 springs.
550-800cc sleds.
The P2 construction, design and machining will not sustain being heavily loaded as required by our mountain sleds.

Premium Features