• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPI FUEL FILTER: FUEL LINE ISSUE

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
There is little to identify these by and any manufacturer support is very limited to non-existent. If you have put one on and have ridden for any amount of time at all with no leaks, chances are you got a good one, sounds like they either leak right off the bat or within just a couple miles. Just because you bought one this fall/winter does not mean you got a bad one, but for sure check it out first chance you get.
I wish we had more definite information than we do....

R
Nov 27, 2007
N Wis
I added automotive fuel injection clamps

I added automotive fuel injection clamps just below the metal crimps, on the rubber hose on my spare SPI fuel filter hose assy...

Also I had to file a notch in the alum. guard last year to stop the raised crimp in the middle of the SPI metal filter from rubbing through... This thin metal raised center ridge on my SPI filter was heavily rubbed on my on 2014 800 Pro Rush after only 1000 miles...

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Well, I suppose I'd rather buy ANOTHER new one because I don't trust installing the first new one I bought.

It's one of the bad batch number ones (SM-07167) and frankly, I don't trust it.

These new ones you got in have different batch numbers on them then I take?

Last edited:

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Does anyone have a picture of a bad filter and the crimps. I bought one from my dealer to put on my sled then found one at haydays a bit cheaper that seemed like a good deal as a spare. I was looking at them and the way the fittings are crimped looks very different between the two. I'm guessing one is from the bad batch and the other isn't. I got a guess which is good if either are. I hate to put one on and then find out I have gas spewing all over a hot engine. I will try and put a picture of my two tomorrow maybe somebody can help.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
How often are peeps changing these- Just picked up a 2014 163 with 900 miles for a friend.. / I know best to change it out- but didn't know if this was an annual thing to do or a mileage thing.........:face-icon-small-dis

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Do it now, especially since he doesn't know the fuel 'quality' that was run before. I think the manual now specs every 2k, but I've seen them getting gnarly at 500, or clean at 1500 - just depends on what you've got into at the pump. I do my own pros every fall, before season, after the old fuel is drained and fresh has started to be run through it. That way, no old fuel it getting strained by the new filter. Always non-eth.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Do it now, especially since he doesn't know the fuel 'quality' that was run before. I think the manual now specs every 2k, but I've seen them getting gnarly at 500, or clean at 1500 - just depends on what you've got into at the pump. I do my own pros every fall, before season, after the old fuel is drained and fresh has started to be run through it. That way, no old fuel it getting strained by the new filter. Always non-eth.

I rode with the guy 100% and he got out of sledding- and bought his snowchecked pro ride- so I know it always had 91 non-eth ( cause I always filled up our sleds- He drives I do all the fuel.....:)

Got the updated filter coming and a member discount when you ask.......http://shop.outdoorsupplyonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=spi+filter

Last edited:
Premium Features