• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPI FUEL FILTER: FUEL LINE ISSUE

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I have received notice that the SPI Fuel lines for most of the Pro-Ride chassis have had a significant rate of failure and they have asked dealers and wholesalers to pull the inventory and wait for new replacements.

There have been leaks is all that I'm told.

I've installed a few and have not had any issues nor have any of my customers complained of issues but if you have bought one within the last couple months it wouldn't hurt to take a close look at it to make sure it's still sealed up good.

They say the batch affected was manufactured in November and the part # is SM-07350. The SM-07167's are also affected, same time frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They are long and kink if you force the filter into the slot the stock one fits in. Or even if you don't.

A hose clamp on the probable kink point helps keep it from kinking.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I have one that went bad. I noticed that fitment wasn't as good as the polaris filter. When I put the filter in the holder I did have to flex it a little but didn't seem to kink the line. Mine is leaking right out of the line between the filter and throttle bodies. It did not leak right away though, sled ran for 5 miles then started smelling gas bad so I checked and was then leaking, so anyone who has one mentioned above should keep an eye on it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Hamlin,

Is it leaking at the crimp for the brass connector to the fuel line on the filter (the one that pushes into the fuel rail) .. or is it leaking past the o-rings on that brass connector in the fuel rail?

I've seen one where the o-ring was damaged from "dry install".

I like to dip a finger in the oil tank (2-stroke) and give it a wipe on the o-rings before pushing into the fuel rail.

I understand, you may have done this and it is leaking at the crimp.

Once you get it stripped down again... run the fuel pump prime, that will pressurize the system and let you know exactly where your leak is.

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
spi filter

I just got an email from Michelle Brown and said that they are talking with their distributor to find out what part numbers are affected.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Finally got back out to replace the filter. When i put this filter in i did exactly what you said lubed the o-rings with 2 stroke oil, would never put them together dry. I had someone pull it over while i watched and it is leaking from the crimp on the fitting that goes into the throttle bodies. it doesn't visibly look bad but leaks bad. when i took it out i looked closely at the o-rings and they were perfect. This filter came from wps and i was told to send it back and they would replace it for free, so at least they are standing behind the product.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I just got an email from Michelle Brown and said that they are talking with their distributor to find out what part numbers are affected.

Is this the same Michelle at Oregon Trail Sports in Oregon that just sold me a SM-07167 SPI Fuel Filter?

I told her I had big reservations about using aftermarket but she assured me she's sold tons of em without any problem.

My concern if this is a new issue that she is looking into, I wish I wouldn't have just got sold one of the suspected bad batch number parts.

Don't get me wrong, she's a great gal...just bad timing maybe?

T
Nov 11, 2008
I had one that leaked badly as well before Christmas. It fitment wasn't horrible and I do not attribute that to the issue. The issue was the crimp. It was swapped out, engine ran to test for leaks and loaded on the truck. I didn't make it 2 miles and I could smell fuel and suddenly the clutches started slipping. The entire clutch side was drenched with fuel.

This was not a small leak. It was on the clean side of the filter and a lot of fuel leaks immediately. I am lucky there wasn't enough heat to cause a fire. Lost a day riding then had to get raped by the dealer 45 mins away as it was close to $300 cdn plus truck fuel.

If you have one of these on your shelf and are intending on using it I would return it.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
I was told it was from a batch that was from November 2015. I had quite a few left from last spring that i ordered and have had no complaints on those.

I ordered one on Dec. 1, 2015(SM-07350) that came through WPS. Are they replacing them?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Gas is too flammable, I'm not taking the chance. There are no markings on my SPI filter and don't have the packaging anymore.

Anyone who is looking to buy a Polaris filter better be prepared to cough up a stupid amount of money.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington

They say the batch affected was manufactured in November and the part # is SM-07350. The SM-07167's are also affected, same time frame.

So, these are Batch Numbers and not Part Numbers then?

If so, I'm in a quandry over what to do with this brand new SM-07167 filter I have waiting to go back in my sled that I'm rebuilding right now.

I mail ordered the filter, took a while to get because I was waiting on other parts...but still sucks, putting it back together now and I don't have a proper filter to put on it.

I REALLY don't like the "throw it on and hope for the best" school of thought on this.

Is there a suitable set of Batch Numbers I should ask the dealer to look for in exchange for the one they already sold me (I haven't pulled it outta the bag yet)?

Any documentation the dealer can look for from the vendor of the filter?

rmkrazy87

Premium Member
Oct 29, 2014
Minnesota
Little concerned here. Just put one on I ordered off of eBay a week ago.

I started it up and checked for leaks at idle and there were none. Makes me want to get a few miles on it before I head to Wyoming in a week.

Ebay seller referenced a WPS part number in his description.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
He spoke to Michelle from Go Big Parts. We have spoke to our distributor and if yours is leaking it needs to be replaced. our distributor is sending us replacements when they come in for the leaking ones. If you ordered from us and have a leaky ones contact us and we can send you one when available.

Thanks
Randy

Last edited:

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Is there a "Batch Number" to go by that we can ask for an exchange if we have one that is not yet installed?

I have a brand new SM-07167 still in the bag that I'd rather swap out before hand instead of trying it out first.

Premium Features