• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to buy TPS tester?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Just wanted to clarify

In my experience, MOST POLARIS dealers do not want to spend the 20 minutes of time to set the TPS correctly

They check the voltage at "idle" (same as he described above) and call it good

My understanding as well! And im sure mine was "checked" this way. Will show idle voltage where its supposed to be, but the base closed setting of .7 or whatever, could be way off.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some people actually penetrate the wire with probe/pin... the tp40's are a nice way to get to the pin inside the connector.

Great meters... Have one in the box and one in the mobile bag.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Some people actually penetrate the wire with probe/pin... the tp40's are a nice way to get to the pin inside the connector.

Great meters... Have one in the box and one in the mobile bag.

16yrs as an ASE Master Tech, I have had the pleasure of repairing many "self inflicted" wiring problems. Great thing about wiring repair is there is No labor guide for it :) Eric

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Link to Tonka1020's E-bay listing for TPS testor

Here is an Ebay link I came across. I have received mine and conversed with the seller today and have knowledge of the quality of the part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281078141540

I have now received mine and the quality is good. Turns out he is a forum member as well, Known as "Tonka1020" on SW. Good guy to deal with and produces a quality part for the $. I have no reservations recommending this link.

Just be certain you follow the procedure for your particular engine and use a quality meter (the sub-$100 meters give you questionable settings and lead to questionable performance).

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That may be a quick way of checking it to see if it's in the ballpark, but it is NOT accurate.

The ONLY way to ACCURATELY SET/CHECK the T.P.S. is to bring the throttle blades to the FULLY CLOSED POSITION, PERIOD!

1) After you have your T.P.S. tester, accurate digital voltmeter, & verified you are working with 5.000 volts

2) Back off on the "idle screw" and get the throttle blades FULLY CLOSED, you then look for .70 volts.(this varies with model)

3) At this point in time you, then loosen the torx screws on the T.P.S. adjust it until .70 volts is showing on your voltmeter.

4) Tighten down the torx screws and re-check to make sure the voltage hasn't changed

5) Next, turn the "idle screw" until you see .93 volts (varies with model) and you're finished.

Do NOT mess with the "idle speed screw" after this, as the voltage reading essentially determines your idle speed.

Did this last season on my 2013 PRO-R 800 at the dealer. At first the tech referenced the short-cut method for checking it, then he re-read the service manual, then re-did it in front of me (as described above), and YES it was OFF!
Kravens right..but missed 1 point.. when you do this..the throttle cable needs disconnected..what you are setting on this (checking) is what the tps reading is with the throttles completely closed(not the idle speed setting)..once you get a measurement(or after adjusting) you must flip the throttle to full throttle and back closed(I do both a snap open/close as well as a gradual open/close) at least a 1/2 dozen times and make sure every time it closes the reading is exactly right..if it isn't..its not set right, this base setting once the sled is running allows the ECM to determine exactly where the throttle is positioned and set other paremiters accordingly(IE injector on time)....now that the base setting is right..you then set the idle setting with the idle screw, which really doesn't matter because you can set it with the engine running..but doing it with the meter makes it more accurate to factory idle speed.....

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
I just tried to order one of the ebay tps testers, he is sold out. Does anyone know if he will be making more?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I just tried to order one of the ebay tps testers, he is sold out. Does anyone know if he will be making more?

The other day when he PM'd me on here it sounded like he was continuing to make them and improving them as customers made recommendations. PM him if you want a time frame.

Tonka1020

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
Meeker

Just takin' a break for Christmas! Seems everyone wanted one the week before so I pulled back a little. I'll be full throttle (pun intended) by jan1

Thanks for the pm!

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
So would we be able to order them directly from you here or do we need to go through eBay?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

C

Ckale

Nov 20, 2011
Buena Vista, CO
I ordered and recieved one of Tonka's harnesses a week or so ago and adjusted my TPS yesterday. His setup is a good price and makes the job a piece of cake. Highly reccomended!

Tonka1020

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
Meeker
2015 Polaris TPS with a triangular plug!

I have located the triangular style plugs that will fit the newer sleds! I will have them built shortly. Let me know if you are interested in them! They will be built to the same specs as the other versions I have!

In addition to that. I have 2 different styles. I have a pass-thought style, for both the triangular plug and the flat 3 pin. I would recommend this pigtail to anyone that is going to power up their ECM and use it to calibrate their TPS. The other style has it's own 5v regulator. It will work VERY well for the guy that wants to set up is throttle body before it's installed in the sled. All you need is a 9v battery.

Last edited:
D
Nov 14, 2013
Ok so just to clarify, not to take sales away from the maker of the TPS tester. I was about to test my TPS the other day on my 14, plugging a 12v battery into the ecu pwr on the sled. Then I couldn't quite find a straight answer (too many beers at the time?) whether this method is correct. Seems like the TPS tester is not required?? just follow the appropriate steps using the 12v batt, or is there something im missing?

Last edited:

Tonka1020

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
Meeker
Potentially, yes! The ecm will create the proper 5v signal to the tps. To set up or test your tps, you can then probe the signal wire to get your voltages. The downfall is now you can get moisture into you plug/wire.

Using your ecm to set your tps is the best method because it's exactly what the ecm sees.

Using a tester allows you to set it on the bench or the pass through pigtail allows you to test without damaging any insulation or plug.

It's just a helpful tool, not a required tool!

D
Nov 14, 2013
Potentially, yes! The ecm will create the proper 5v signal to the tps. To set up or test your tps, you can then probe the signal wire to get your voltages. The downfall is now you can get moisture into you plug/wire.

Using your ecm to set your tps is the best method because it's exactly what the ecm sees.

Using a tester allows you to set it on the bench or the pass through pigtail allows you to test without damaging any insulation or plug.

It's just a helpful tool, not a required tool!

Thanks for clearing that up, now correct me if i am wrong but there is no 'connector' on my 14 tps, leaving the only options, dealer plug in, or probing the wires?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Thanks for clearing that up, now correct me if i am wrong but there is no 'connector' on my 14 tps, leaving the only options, dealer plug in, or probing the wires?

The '14 and up TPS's do have a connector, it just is not on the TPS itself like the older ones. They added a short pigtail to the TPS itself so the wires hang down and keep the connectors from filling with condensation and causing issues. It is now a triangular three pin connector a few inches away. Tonka's new harness connects to this new triangular three pin connector.

The other options from memory are back probing the ECU connector, or the Digital Wrench (which is no better than a $5 volt meter and not accurate enough to set it properly, From my understanding). A high quality meter is paramount to getting it correct and repeatable and having an excellent running sled.

FWIW

Last edited:

Tonka1020

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
Meeker
I just had a guy that I had been talking to in Canada about his tps send me a note. He was concerned because the pigtail I sent him was not showing exactly 5.0v. I asked him if he had a good multimeter. He said it was fresh out of the box...

I told him I use a fluke, because of their accuracy.

I guess he set his tps with the out of the box meter and the sleds ran like crap. So, he barrows a buddy's fluke, tested my pigtail (4.99v) and reset his tps. Turns out it runs great now!

Beg, barrow or steel a good meter. It makes all the difference in the end! Especially on the CFI sleds. Older carbs not a problem.

If you own one of my pigtails, please check it for accuracy! 5.000 is not very achievable, but 4.998-5.003 is!

D

doobie

Oct 13, 2008
Cochrane ab
mine arrived today. good quality, easy use. took all of 5 min to dial in my buddies tps, with a good multimeter. basline was out quite a bit, idle showed fine before adjustment. IMO a important tool for every diy sledder. thanks tonka.

Premium Features